Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 05:44 PM

676 posts, read 725,848 times

Advertisements

Just the other day a coworker put his new intake on the bed rail of my truck. I told him "oh you scratched my paint" and we both laughed. Then I pointed out the smily face someone keyed into my truck side among the many other blemishes it has. I try to park as close as possible. I usually have plenty of room though in the handicap spot if my wife is with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 06:41 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Who knew that C-D would attract only the people who park far away to the automotive forum?

Old 08-21-2016, 07:20 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,429,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Yet, more then a few times, I parked way way away from others and low and behold - coming back out there is another car parked way out there right next to my car. Even though there are rows of empty spaces all around.
Go figure.
That is what's called the a-hole factor...somebody just screwing with us. Similar with restaurants,I can pick a seat away from everyone but inevitably they seek me out there too

Old 08-21-2016, 09:32 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,561,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Over the years I've always thought I'd do it, but brushed the idea aside for a shorter walk to the store.

Well, yesterday, for the first time ever. I noticed my car had been hit (badly scratched) while I was in a lot some where. (I'd only been two places that day). But I was back home and it was after 5p when I noticed it.

It wasn't bad, so its not a worst case scenario by any means. Almost a best case scenario. But I'm still livid. Em effers scratched my back passenger-side bumper and pulled it away from the quarter panel. Thank goodness my dealer -- where I was at 6:30 this frigging morning -- didn't charge me to just pop it back in place.

But now I'm thinking again about parking half way across store parking lot away from others so my car doesn't get hit? Or in a garage always pulling between two posts, so there's no car on either side.

-- Anyone else do this?
-- If so have you always done it. Are you particular about it, and do it absolutely all the time?
-- Does it depend on the parking lot, how busy it is, as to whether you will park away from other cars.

There've been times I've parked, say, two cars over from the last car in the row. And I'll be darned if someone isn't parked next to me when I come out. It's like you have to park all the way in the second section away from the store to get away from folks….then of course you have to walk all the way across the darn lot to get to the store.

So, do you intentionally park away from other cars?
See this:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_49d1zFWoko...17422-0003.Jpg

I look for these when I park because it gives me an extra 18" of space away from other cars without parking at the back of the lot and inviting trouble.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:36 PM

444 posts, read 324,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Yes, we have LENGTHY thread on this here not so long ago.
Well, now we have another one.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:48 PM

444 posts, read 324,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
I used to have an old beat up Cherokee with peeling paint and large mud tires. I would intentionally park right next to nice cars parked far away just to be a PITA.

Never would ding them, just park next to them
I've been both "that guy" AND the one that would have heart attacks walking up to my nice car!

Reminds me of the scam where the car full of college kids will park like an INCH or so away from your car, in their nice one... Open their door into yours, then act like they need money on the spot to fix the damage or they will call the cops. You'd be surprised how many people whip out cash. I told them to call...

This also prompted my other "Do you call the police for" thread. Can't tell you how many times "bored citizens" OR, call it for what it is, the a-hole factor, have told me or others my local police department would get a call. I remember, one time, YEARS ago, it somehow got traction and the cops almost sent a SWAT team (it was two units but they got there like 5 minutes flat after an online exchange about car repair) and they were on my front porch looking stupid. I made sure to be seen writing down badge numbers as that almost turned into harrasment. But it happened..... Our system is NOT fair, folks. So now I learn as much as possible.

Losers lose, winners win...

Old 08-22-2016, 01:39 AM

865 posts, read 1,827,669 times
Sure, whenever I get a new car. But after many dings and scratches I usually give up and park closer. I also try to find wide spots, though I drive a smaller vehicle, which are shrinking in frequency around here.

Old 08-22-2016, 01:47 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermomma View Post
Sure, whenever I get a new car. But after many dings and scratches I usually give up and park closer. I also try to find wide spots, though I drive a smaller vehicle, which are shrinking in frequency around here.
And parking spaces are getting smaller!

Old 08-22-2016, 02:52 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,463,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I end up parking way out, but I do that because I want to park right next to a cart corral. I just can't abandon my cart, and I have a wonderful condition called heel pad fat atrophy... so walking on hard surfaces becomes painful quickly. I need to get my groceries, dump the cart in the corral and get in my car....
At certain stores, where the spots beyond the cart corrals are slightly uphill, I will park a spot or two out from the corral for the same reason. I suppose I was just raised to be courteous and respect others and their possessions (cars, in this case). So I always return a cart to a corral or walk it all the way back into the store if necessary. It really ticks me off when people leave them sitting loose when they're maybe 15 steps away from a cart return!?!?

Even worse, I see people unload their carts into their cars, then 'gently' rest the cart against the vehicle next to them! What are these people thinking???

I know there are exceptions to the rule of courteous (or even decent) cart return practices. Whenever I'm walking in or out of a store and I see an elderly person or a mom with several kids who needs to return their cart, I always volunteer to take it to a return or into the store with me. When it puts a smile on an old or handicapped person's face, it's totally worth it!

One of the lyrics from the Kelly Clarkson song "Catch My Breath"- "Keeping faith karma comes around!"...it does!

Old 08-22-2016, 03:25 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,303,369 times
Speaking of shopping carts, the other day I saw a random cart rolling towards an oncoming car, and they HONKED!

Whaaa?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive