Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 04:57 PM

3 posts, read 1,993 times

Advertisements

Earlier today I was driving home from work in Ridgefield, New Jersey, and a construction truck made a left turn while I was going straight, and I had to slam on my brakes to avoid hitting him. I was able to take a photo of the back of the truck and thus retrieve its license plate number. Then I called the company to try and report the driver for nearly causing an accident, and the lady who picked up the phone immediately starting accusing me that I "wasn't watching where I was going," to which I responded by telling her that I was the one going straight, and this driver was making a left turn, in which case it is his responsibility to yield to oncoming traffic, which he obviously failed to do. She then asked me what the license plate/tag number was, so I told her. She then read it back to me, and I'm 100% sure that she did it correctly. Despite this, she told me that there was nothing she could do to reprimand the driver because the truck with that license plate was last seen in Elizabeth, New Jersey (the company uses GPS to track its drivers), which is almost a half-hour drive away. So I asked her to read the tag back to me once again, just in case I misread it, and she did, and it was correct. It's impossible for a truck to be in two different locations, and I'm certain that I read the tag correctly, so does this mean that she lied when she told me the truck was last seen in Elizabeth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 05:01 PM

17,303 posts, read 12,242,173 times
They obviously just don't care since the first response was to try to blame you without having knowledge of the scene.

Get a dash cam.

Old 08-19-2016, 05:08 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times
So blast them on Yelp or something.

But seriously, it's a construction company. Most construction workers aren't the pinnacle of refinement. You're lucky that you didn't get a profanity laced rant--if not something worse. Just hope the driver doesn't have your phone number.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:23 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
OP, are you new to driving? This is not an uncommon occurrence.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:02 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
You're in the NYC Metro area. This is called normal driving when one makes a left turn when an opening becomes available. I'm guessing this wasn't that busy of an intersection since there was no jughandle nor a lighted turn lane. Since there was no accident, calling the company was useless. Did you really expect the phone operator to admit any fault? Really?? Just do what everyone else does: Give a three finger salute, honk your horn, yell at the windshield and continue on your merry way and be happy with the thought that your brakes worked. BTW if you would've called the Police you might've gotten a ticket as there is a "no touch cell phone law" which would've gotten you a ticket upwards of $400.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:35 PM

419 posts, read 625,905 times
they supposed to drive like that, otherwise truckers will never made a left turn since no one yield to them in nyc.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:00 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
They're blowing you off....end of story.

Old 08-20-2016, 08:13 AM

1,352 posts, read 1,530,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowplayer2 View Post
they supposed to drive like that, otherwise truckers will never made a left turn since no one yield to them in nyc.
This

Old 08-20-2016, 08:30 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
So blast them on Yelp or something.

But seriously, it's a construction company. Most construction workers aren't the pinnacle of refinement. You're lucky that you didn't get a profanity laced rant--if not something worse. Just hope the driver doesn't have your phone number.
Actually most construction workers driving company vehicles are courteous. Because complaints now can and do get you written up or fired. Sure there are some that dont care but that's becomin less and less common.

Op could ask to speak to HR or the manager/owner instead of the secretary.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:27 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
Yeah, you were upset and it could have been bad, but it wasn't, so chalk it up to another day of driving on roads with crazy people out there. Move on, and just be a little more cautious when driving.

My one son was driving along in the slow lane and a lady (on her cell phone) in the fast lane, suddenly cut right into his lane. He had to run up onto the grass on the side of the road to avoid being hit. By the time he got back on the road, she was long gone. He had a little crack to the frontend of his car from it hitting the dirt, but at least there was no telephone pole or tree there.

Every time we drive we run the risk of something like your event happening, and cell phones and distracted drivers are a huge cause of it all.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive