Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 03:51 PM

444 posts, read 324,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
Whats the difference between a drain and fill, and a tranny flush?
Ok

Drain and fill is the way MOST will tell you to do it. You drop the pan (my car had a drain bolt but MOST DONT and that makes it so much more messy, usually difficult too with stuff in the way) and let the fluid DRAIN out. Then you replace the filter and reFILL the AFT - Automatic Transmission Fluid. This gets about 40% of the fluid out and greatly reduces the chance of causing a problem.

A tranny flush could move something that wasnt making a problem to blocking something in the valve body or some such.. it may be ok but it may cause an issue and set the transmission up to fail. May.

Unknown history or that age, its better to drain and fill. It is going to be Dex/Merc III (3.)

Same with engine oil... Youre always taking a chance with trying to "clean it out." You may expose leaks where there were none before. May.

Thats a 2004, so it's a GM Vortec 3400. NICE CAR.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 04:01 PM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times
It might be useful to learn about the car by reading the posts on this forum:

Grand Am Owners Club Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Old 08-20-2016, 04:01 PM

797 posts, read 752,105 times
Looks good. Did you check everything on it? Shocks,struts,steering rack? Filter? Open the oil cap to see how the cams look?
There are so many things to check on a car. All the warning lights come on with key turned? Hows the carfax ?
Finding a good used car is difficult indeed.

Old 08-20-2016, 04:10 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,817,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
That's clean. I would snap it up. It's definitely in cherry condition.
Ps you really need to pick up that Chevelle in the background too. The SS Camaro would work too. Tell the wife she looks good in it.
Trust me I was definitely admiring his car collection. He had a blown Chevy C-10 that was outta this world, amazing truck.

Old 08-20-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashtagusername View Post
Ok

Drain and fill is the way MOST will tell you to do it. You drop the pan (my car had a drain bolt but MOST DONT and that makes it so much more messy, usually difficult too with stuff in the way) and let the fluid DRAIN out. Then you replace the filter and reFILL the AFT - Automatic Transmission Fluid. This gets about 40% of the fluid out and greatly reduces the chance of causing a problem.

A tranny flush could move something that wasnt making a problem to blocking something in the valve body or some such.. it may be ok but it may cause an issue and set the transmission up to fail. May.

Unknown history or that age, its better to drain and fill. It is going to be Dex/Merc III (3.)

Same with engine oil... Youre always taking a chance with trying to "clean it out." You may expose leaks where there were none before. May.

Thats a 2004, so it's a GM Vortec 3400. NICE CAR.

Thank! And thanks for the suggestion!

Old 08-20-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellshii View Post
Looks good. Did you check everything on it? Shocks,struts,steering rack? Filter? Open the oil cap to see how the cams look?
There are so many things to check on a car. All the warning lights come on with key turned? Hows the carfax ?
Finding a good used car is difficult indeed.
The carfax was clean. I went over everything the best I could. I'm by know means a mechanic but from what I could tell everything was pretty solid. I have a 30 day warranty on the car so I'm going to take it to my mechanic and have him go over the entire car thoroughly.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:39 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
Bravo!!

Old 08-20-2016, 06:55 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Beauty. Looks exceptionally clean for 12 years old. I think you got a good deal, hopefully you get more than your money's worth.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:56 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,986,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
Whats the difference between a drain and fill, and a tranny flush?
Never ever get a transmission flush no matter what the garage, mechanic, or anyone else states.

Get a gravity drain, new filter, gasket, and fill with brand specific transmission fluid. And do this every 24,000 miles or every 2 years.

Note:
There are a few automatic transmissions that have "lifetime" fluid. Some GM cars had the Aisin automatic transmission. Those "lifetime" fluids should be changed at 60,000 miles.
Some automatic transmissions do not have a disposable filter but just a screen.
But few cars have the noted above automatic transmissions.

Ask for pan drop and drain or sometimes called a gravity drain.

All shops were sold a bill of goods with these "Flush" machines. And all shops will attempt to sell you this service only because the machines cost a pretty penny and these shops want to get their money back selling you this service. Don't fall for this. Period. Done. End.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:22 PM

19,023 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Okkkkkkkk...
1. Drain and fill. Drain whatever comes out of transmission pan - if you have drain plug. If not, you have to undo all the bolts, tilt pan towards one side and drain fluid into suitable container. Then you completely remove pan, replace filter, seals, gasket on pan and reinstall pan. Refill with whatever spec for drain is for your car. Usually, it's between 3rd or 4th of ENTIRE fluid volume in all transmission system parts - cooling radiator, torque converter, trannie itself. Usually it's about 4 qrts and entire volume - 12. Whatever your spec is.
2. flush. A special machine is connected to one of the ATF cooling lines and engine turned on and gear engaged to make TC operate. Then ENTIRE ATF volume is removed from the syste, Cleaning agent is run through the system. System is refilled with ENTIRE volume. Pan is not dropped and filter is not replaced.
Folks have opinion that on olden cars, crud builds up in micro cracks in gasket, sealing it. Flush disturbs those particles and opens gasket pores, causing leaks down the road. Also, same crud builds in internal seals and gaskets, with allegedly same result from flush.

Here's safe way to flush ENTIRE volume without any disturbance. 1.5 hr. You find out what is entire capacity. Say, it's 12 qrts. Find what drain and fill is. Say, it's 4 qrts. Hence, one drain is 1/3rd of entire capacity.
You drain and fill. Drive for 15 miles. Drain and fill again. Drive for 15 miles. Drain, replace filter, fill again. You just naturally replaced entire ATF volume. Without any disturbance to sensitive areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive