Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 11:42 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,708,779 times

Advertisements

Does anyone get annoyed with certain manufacturers designing gaudy looking cars (both interior and exterior)? Hyundai and Kia are really bad for this. But Honda is just as bad with their 3-4 LCD screens.

VW and some of the other German manufacturers are really talented at making great looking interior, but also keeping them classy looking.

This Honda Accord interior looks terrible, but also confusing. Two screens, plus other screens in the instrument cluster:

Same with this Civic. One screen for the radio, plus two screens for other functions. Don't even get me started on the scattered climate control buttons:

This is a beautiful VW interior. Nicely accented with normal shaped vents and buttons. No confusing LCD screens:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 12:05 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
Today cars at are required to have back up cameras. And there are a ton of functions, Bluetooth, media, radio, vehicle management and monitoring system, warning system, tire inflation etc. most screens are multi function types. Otherwise the dash would look like the cockpit of a 747. Either way cars are starting to look like a 1980s K.I.T.T from Knight Rider. And let's face it there is just a lot of crap in cars today. My wife's car has a multi function screen. Truthfully she doesn't use 90% of the features. My trucks are simple. Radio and Bluetooth. You can keep the other bs off of it

Old 08-20-2016, 02:17 PM

6,544 posts, read 7,127,359 times
The Accord one isn't bad, could you have the nav running while using the other screen to do other things would be brilliant. The Civic is just plain terrible, could it be any worse? The VW is just classier.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:16 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,856,746 times
One thing I DO like is that the screens don't look like they are put on with gorilla glue and just stuck up in the center dash board. At least Honda integrates them into the dashboard

Old 08-21-2016, 06:25 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
I find car dashboards getting too complex with too much in the way of techno gizmos.
The dash on my 08 Yaris uncluttered and simple=
http://images.hgmsites.net/med/2007-...00299826_m.jpg

Old 08-21-2016, 07:20 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,985,018 times
https://youtu.be/Gf_kjwOSjGI

Too many buttons and switches.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:56 AM

19,016 posts, read 27,579,284 times
Well, one thing that is very functional is that under the windshield display in Civic. It's in the right place and well protected from sunlight.
I guess, you have to either give user 500 buttons for all the features, with maybe 2 of them used later down the road, or, place it all into a single dial like so much praised here German ingenuity did, and then hope that one can drive and keep scrolling through 500 screens trying to fathom the German way - or the freeway.
Or the stupid Lexus "mouse". Elegance and reduction of buttons in the dash lead to "go figure" what is controlled by button and what by mouse and they it's same situation as with German dial. One hand driving, eye cocked to the right onto display while hand it trying to control a non cooperative pointer on the buttons.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:25 AM

9,500 posts, read 4,337,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Does anyone get annoyed with certain manufacturers designing gaudy looking cars (both interior and exterior)? Hyundai and Kia are really bad for this. But Honda is just as bad with their 3-4 LCD screens.

VW and some of the other German manufacturers are really talented at making great looking interior, but also keeping them classy looking.

This Honda Accord interior looks terrible, but also confusing. Two screens, plus other screens in the instrument cluster:

Same with this Civic. One screen for the radio, plus two screens for other functions. Don't even get me started on the scattered climate control buttons:

This is a beautiful VW interior. Nicely accented with normal shaped vents and buttons. No confusing LCD screens:
VW interiors -particularly their dashboards - are spectacular. Better, in my opinion, than the interiors on most much more expensive cars. Audi does a decent job, BMWs are a little over-the-top, but MB dashes are horribly overdone. It seems like everyone is trying too hard to be unique at the expense of functionality. Years ago, Honda had some of the best dashboards around. The multi-level Civic dash was the first sign that they were losing their way.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:34 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,047,081 times
I like them all....but then again, I like gadgets.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:42 AM

125 posts, read 183,591 times
The only difference between the VW and the Honda's you posted is that the VW uses barely any colors compared to Honda. Have you actually sat in any of these cars? Many times you can significantly change the brightness of the screens and sometimes even the color scheme so you can get a gunmetal gray and remove all the colors if it really bothers you. I'm not sure what to say about the vents, I'm not sure why they are required to be perfectly rectangular versus being circular or slightly more square than rectangle.

I should also mention that I am also a huge fan of German designed vehicle interiors, but I really can't find anything all that awful about the Honda's you posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive