Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 08:43 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,137,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
It may only have 88k on it, but it's almost 20 years old.

The E31 had electronically adjustable suspension. The cost is so high because factory BMW parts have become unobtainable. You can get a full coilover suspension, front and rear, for $1k.

Sounds like the car was never maintained.
He has actually been on top of everything with the car, he hasnt seen any sort of leaks, but they said the power steering hose had a lea, the radiator had a leak, and the rubber on the control arms were wearing, but I guess at 18yrs old rubber will wear out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 08:44 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,249,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
I always thought BMW stood for "bring my wallet" LOL
You have to have deep pockets to hold a wallet that big.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:49 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,249,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
The link he provided is a website I use to determine car reliability
He provided a lot of links. Are you referring to longtermqualityindex.com?

Old 08-23-2016, 08:51 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,574,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
And you go on Rockauto and the Shocks are $250 each SMH
Funny you mention that. I did a quick search yesterday and found Billstein struts for $279 each! Does this mean that they're charging him almost 7 grand in labor? LOL.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:55 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,765,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Funny you mention that. I did a quick search yesterday and found Billstein struts for $279 each! Does this mean that they're charging him almost 7 grand in labor? LOL.
Another poster mentioned the car having electronically adjustable suspension...if that is true you could replace the struts with regular "cheap" struts and just disable that system. Maybe the price quote includes struts that are only available from BMW or some specific source that sells the OEM style struts for that car and that ability.

When you buy an old car like that, anything oddball and vehicle specific becomes a huge liability. Four wheel steering, air ride, adjustable dampers, active aero, etc...

Old 08-23-2016, 09:01 AM

111 posts, read 112,844 times
Quote:
And you go on Rockauto and the Shocks are $250 each SMH
Are they OEM?

Old 08-23-2016, 09:39 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,137,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H0ggie View Post
Are they OEM?
BILSTEIN Brand @ $230 and the only option, but unless they were replacing almost every component around the Shock, the Quote was for the Shocks only @ $4000 each end and then separate quotes to replace control arms too.

I still couldn't believe it, as the most expensive shocks ive seen to date was my friends Benz CLS @ $1100 a piece

Old 08-23-2016, 09:47 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,732,306 times
Quote:
BILSTEIN Brand @ $230 and the only option, but unless they were replacing almost every component around the Shock, the Quote was for the Shocks only @ $4000 each end and then separate quotes to replace control arms too.

I still couldn't believe it, as the most expensive shocks ive seen to date was my friends Benz CLS @ $1100 a piece
If they are going to ********* at least offer some foreplay

Old 08-23-2016, 10:02 AM

8,134 posts, read 3,669,879 times
Quote:

As mentioned by others, that 8 series must have the EDC option. The front struts are something like 1400 (each) msrp and the rear shocks are not much cheaper either. I think people just swap with non-EDC when the time comes.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:40 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,578,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasCrown View Post
Agreed, pretty biased, inflammatory article. That being said, BMW's do seem to be the worst German brand for reliability these days. Their older models were pretty reliable.

And as far as ALL German cars being unreliable, that is just false. My parents and I have owned multiple Porsche and Mercedes models over the years and they've all been fantastic cars.
You guys must not read Jalopnik very often - that is their writing style - inflammatory but underneath it the truth. As the owner of multiple BMWs with friends with Multiple BMWs I can say that almost everything they say is true. The problems include

Repeated failures of High Pressure Fuel Pumps
Turbo Failures
Fuel Injector failures
Transmission Faults
Active Steering Faults

The are multiple $,000 to repair and these failures on cars with < 50K miles. Of course many more small niggling problems after that - try key holder for $500+ to replace because the key falls out of the slot. The "Free" maintenance amounts to 1 oil change every ~17K miles - on a turbo motor no less !

- the Turbo straight 6 introduced in about 2007 was not reliable; the Turbo V8 introduced in 2011 was not reliable
- some warranties were extended without public announcements so that owners who complained to BMW NA about the problems could get them fixed beyond warranty for no or reduced cost - if your second owner or your dealer sucks than just too bad for you.

These problems May have been fixed but who knows ?

The used car market has spoken ! Try to value your 5 year old BMW out of warranty and you will see it out-valued by Lexus, Infinity, Acura and many others which means you must absorb massive depreciation. Sorry to say, but the pursuit of bigger market share has caused BMW to abandon their corporate engineering principles. It is simply not the same company it used to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive