Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 04:18 PM

280 posts, read 248,512 times

Advertisements

@ the OP.... Learning to drive a stick is easy. If you are getting a cheap car then I would do it. However, if this is a car that you want to "run into the ground" I would think hard about getting one. As many posts have pointed to, they are a pain in the butt in traffic. I bought a Honda civic (manual) 10 years ago where my wife and I had the intent of owning it forever. At the time we both were driving stick and figured this was a must. Fast forward to today and I can't stand it. I sit in traffic for about an hour a day and would rather not deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 04:24 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,851,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Why would you want a manual? They are horrible to drive in traffic and you'll be severely limited as to what you can buy. Very few vehicles are available with a manual transmission these days. It's been almost 30 years since I've owned anything with a manual and I don't miss them one bit.
Maybe you don't, but I do. I've owned several manual shift vehicles and miss them a lot. You are correct, there are not a lot of stick shift vehicles available nowadays, but when I had a choice, I always chose the standard. I only had problems when driving one; my ex's Jeep Liberty, and that one has such a stiff clutch pedal holding it down repeatedly made my thigh muscle ache. I never experienced that issue on any of the numerous other standards I drove.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:48 PM

6,546 posts, read 4,691,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChappelleJr View Post
Because it's manly and when you take a girl for a ride she's amazed at the skill of stick shift.
Not too sure about amazed, (or manly, for that matter) but it does seem to be a disappearing skill. It would be good if someone could teach you a bit, rather than just youtube .

But it's not that difficult. I learned when I was 17 or so (on a VW Beetle--4 on the floor!) and can shift pretty much in my sleep even today. Like riding a bike.

I'm a 61 year old woman and I drive a 5 speed stick daily.

Last edited by puginabug; 08-27-2016 at 05:10 PM..

Old 08-27-2016, 04:54 PM

6,546 posts, read 4,691,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Back in the day, there were more sticks on the road and what always pissed me off about stick shifts occurred when sitting at a red light on a hill, the light would change, and the car in front of me would drift back before accelerating. Was glad when most drivers opted for automatics.
Hahaha! I remember going far far out of my way to avoid having to stop on a hill when I first learned! A little terrifying if there's a car behind you!

Old 08-27-2016, 05:00 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,184,332 times
My mom dropped me off 30 miles from home at the dealership where my new car was waiting for me. "See you at the house!" and there I was. Never drove a stick. Thankfully (before youtube) my drivers ed teacher did a demo sitting on a chair in the middle of the classroom. I been a pro ever since!

Old 08-27-2016, 06:29 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,285,204 times
I love manual transmissions, but if possible I'd try one out with a friend who owns a car with one, so you can see if it's for you. My wife, she can't drive one to save her life, I bought a 5-speed car once figuring it would be the car we'd share, but I quickly found out that any 5-speed car I'd buy would be solely for me, no matter how hard she tries she just can't get the feel of one.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:09 PM

24,268 posts, read 25,762,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Seriously?? what are you 12 years old???
Looks like he's 16 and PO'd cuz his Dad didn't buy him a car that was promised to him per his other thread.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:14 PM

24,451 posts, read 33,116,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
What I like about a stick shift is down shifting when approaching a red light or stop sign.

I'll bet my brakes last a lot longer on my 2007 Camry because it is a manual than if it were an automatic.
Most automatics can be downshifted when approaching a red light. I did it many times with my '66 Dodge Dart GT V-8 with Torqueflite automatic.

Old 08-27-2016, 09:23 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,168,588 times
Quote:
Other than YouTube tutorials I have nothing. I'd have to have the owner of the car park it in some quiet residential neighborhood a few blocks from my house because my house has too many cars come every second,so learning to drive stick in the streets near me wouldn't work.
If you're dead set on getting a vehicle with manual transmission, I highly suggest you practice in a large empty parking lot. I was fortunate enough to have somebody teach me how to operate a vehicle with a stick. Once you learn how to drive a manual transmission vehicle, you can drive anything.

Old 08-27-2016, 09:33 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,844,018 times
Quote:
Other than YouTube tutorials I have nothing. I'd have to have the owner of the car park it in some quiet residential neighborhood a few blocks from my house because my house has too many cars come every second,so learning to drive stick in the streets near me wouldn't work.
If you like the car and the price...buy it. I got my first one and had to get on the Hollywood freeway with heavy traffic, and zero training except what the guy that sold it to me said. I don't recommend that! But, I love a stick shift. You will very soon know the feel of the engine and...well...you'll get it! I have a nice auto now, but miss that part of the process. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive