Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2016, 07:39 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,296,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
No one, regardless of speed should be driving in the left lane. Once you pass a car you should move back over.
This is a fantasy that only exists in some isolated rural areas with little traffic. Try driving the 5 freeway between SF and LA. Both lanes have lots of cars almost all the time in the daylight hours.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:50 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,705,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
why?

if you are 80 in a 60 and somebody wants to do 105 in a 60, why should you move. serious, why should people be allowed unlimited speed in the left lane. I could understand 55 in a 60 but if you are allready speeding or if the car ahead of you is slowing you , why should you have to move because somebody behind you want to go faster. why?
If you are in the left lane and someone wants to pass, no matter how fast YOURE going, GTFOOTW.

Old 08-28-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
If you are in the left lane and someone wants to pass, no matter how fast YOURE going, GTFOOTW.
Suppose I am driving 80 in the left lane passing all the cars in the right lane going 75. I am only going 80 because the 10 cars in front of me in the left lane are going only 80 but I would like to go 90. Some jerk in his Audi comes up and tailgates me aggressively so I move over and and left him go ahead. Then I get behind the Audi and still want to go 90 so I return the favor and tailgate the Audi who is still only going 80. Now should the Audi driver move over to the right lane since he is now impeding me?

Old 08-28-2016, 08:14 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,075,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Suppose I am driving 80 in the left lane passing all the cars in the right lane going 75. I am only going 80 because the 10 cars in front of me in the left lane are going only 80 but I would like to go 90. Some jerk in his Audi comes up and tailgates me aggressively so I move over and and left him go ahead. Then I get behind the Audi and still want to go 90 so I return the favor and tailgate the Audi who is still only going 80. Now should the Audi driver move over to the right lane since he is now impeding me?
if you want to go faster then the vehicle in front of you which you are right behind, theres no reason for you to get over.

If this ever happens to me, I either move a little to the right side of the lane so they can see past me, and notice I'm not the one slowing traffic, or I drop a gear, and give it a little rev. It lets em know Id like to go faster too.

Old 08-28-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
if you want to go faster then the vehicle in front of you which you are right behind, theres no reason for you to get over.

If this ever happens to me, I either move a little to the right side of the lane so they can see past me, and notice I'm not the one slowing traffic, or I drop a gear, and give it a little rev. It lets em know Id like to go faster too.
Most of the time that will work and its a good idea. In California there are always some nuts who think their high performance car entitles them to drive 100+ on the freeway despite the traffic and they will tailgate you very aggressively until you get out of the way. Then they do the same to the next vehicle. I usually get out of their way and a couple of times I saw them pulled over by the CHP later on down the road.

Old 08-28-2016, 08:48 PM

33 posts, read 25,559 times
I drive fast because I want OFF the road ASAP. I hate driving. It is absolutely miserable. I've never understood people who think driving across the lower 48 is a fun way to travel. I'd rather go get 20 root canals done at my dentist/

Also public service announcement: I'm fully aware my bright lights are on so stop flashing yours at me. I have to pull a lever and twist a knob to turn them on so their activation is never unintentional. They're on for a reason and that reason is my state people switch into lanes going 40 where oncoming traffic is going 90. I couldn't care less if it blinds you. Don't switch into a lane where people are going 100 while you are doing the speed limit and I wouldn't have to have my brights on 24/7.

As for the people saying to share the road uh yeah EXACTLY. Move out of the way for faster traffic and stop hogging it by going the speed limit!!!

Old 08-28-2016, 09:25 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,036,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
This is a fantasy that only exists in some isolated rural areas with little traffic.
Fantasy? You mean reality. There are over 46,000 miles of Interstate highway in the United States, and the majority of it is precisely in isolated, rural areas with little traffic.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:49 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,333,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
they say its the law, well my state say you do the speed limit and slower traffic mover left, but anything at the speed limit is not slow traffic, so just set back listen to the radio and cruise, remember you cant break the speed limit, so you cant do 105 in a 70 like you want
You also can't impede the natural flow of traffic. So while yes the cop can pull over the guy speeding, he can also pull YOU over. Whose cares if a guy speeding gets a ticket.

You're trying to rationalize YOU breaking the law as being okay because the other guy is doing it too.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:37 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Wut, I drive 65 in a 60, in the slow-lane.........and people still tailgate the F*** outta me, when the lanes to the left are clear!

People are going to drive with much retardedness......no matter what.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:55 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
By your comment, I don't think you watched the video to the end. It comments on Germany and the autobahns which in some areas have no speed limits. It's simple, even if you're doing 80 in the left lane and someone comes up behind you and you there is sufficient space in the right lane for you to move over to let them pass without requiring you to drop your speed to 50, you move over. As the video also states in most states the law is keep right, pass left. The car just cruising along in the left lane getting passed by people on the right is more dangerous than someone driving slightly over the speed limit.

I really don't think 80 in a 60 vs someone "wanting to do 105 in a 60" is really that common, more like it's the guy doing 70 in a 60 who won't move over for someone who wants to do 75.

I drive a tractor-trailer, if I'm passing someone in and someone comes up and tailgates me, no I'm not going to slow down and move over, when I get past the vehicles I'm passing I will move over. By the same token, don't tailgate me if I'm in the right lane doing the speed limit and I'm getting passed by someone in the middle lane, if you tailgate me then, I'll drop my speed by about 5 mph.
That's been my experience as well. Although, things are even worse on Oahu with the "Ohana spirit" people Here, its common to have drivers in the left lane driving at or 5 miles under the speed limit. And many of these people seem to think that they are doing everyone else a favor by helping to "slow" traffic down (I've had several of these drivers press on the brake on me vs. moving to another lane). Its no wonder why I see so many accidents/dented cars on Oahu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive