Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 08:58 AM

49 posts, read 80,771 times

Advertisements

Battery acid leaked over my trunk and I didn't realize it.

A friend asked to borrow my car and when I got it back I didn't notice anything different. I have been using it for a year and noticed that items I put in the trunk on a certain area would become shredded or eaten through, and have a reddish liquid on them

Finally I was able to definitively identify it as battery acid.

My problem is- I have had things in it for over a year now. Those contents include:

books
bottles of wine
champagne
various other things

I had clothing in there but most of it, even the stuff that never touched the red area, got shredded from what I assume are vapors.

Even the things that didn't touch the area, like the books, have a reddish tint to the material that I have come to recognize is the battery acid.

So my question is- do I have to throw everything away? The wine and champagne was totally corked but I don't want to drink it if it could be dangerous (obviously). The champagne is also somewhat emptier than I would expect (unopened but only filled to an inch below where the bottle starts to taper)...

Old 08-28-2016, 09:01 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,303,910 times
The wine and champagne both should have positive pressure, so nothing would get in unless they are uncorked. (I presume you don't drink wine with a screw on cap. ) If you open either and there's no "pop" then they could be suspect.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:02 AM

BTW, we carry nothing except in plastic tubs with lids. Just sayin'.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
The wine and champagne both should have positive pressure, so nothing would get in unless they are uncorked. (I presume you don't drink wine with a screw on cap. ) If you open either and there's no "pop" then they could be suspect.
Thank you! You don't think the cork would have been degraded by the battery fumes, do you? For example, there were these little polyester type of bags surrounding the bottles (you know, like you put on a gift, I guess) and those were shredded in parts and ripped clean in two when I pulled. I've been amazed by what these vapors have destroyed so I don't want to drink the wine if the vapors have degraded the cork and gotten into the wine

Old 08-28-2016, 09:09 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:

Even so, OP should thoroughly rinse the outside of the bottles.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
BTW, we carry nothing except in plastic tubs with lids. Just sayin'.
What do you mean? like put wine into a cooler?

I realize now that it's risky I've been driving around with wine in the back for a year ... they were all closed containers though!

Old 08-28-2016, 09:13 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lydia44 View Post
Thank you! You don't think the cork would have been degraded by the battery fumes, do you? For example, there were these little polyester type of bags surrounding the bottles (you know, like you put on a gift, I guess) and those were shredded in parts and ripped clean in two when I pulled. I've been amazed by what these vapors have destroyed so I don't want to drink the wine if the vapors have degraded the cork and gotten into the wine
If the cork were degraded enough for acid to leak in, it would also be degraded enough for CO2 to come out. Thus, the wine would be completely flat.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
If the cork were degraded enough for acid to leak in, it would also be degraded enough for CO2 to come out. Thus, the wine would be completely flat.
Thank you, this is very helpful and good news.

However, i know how to tell if champagne is flat, if there are no bubbles or anything... but isn't wine usually flat? How would I know if it's flat?

Old 08-28-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Even so, OP should thoroughly rinse the outside of the bottles.
Sorry, that was a given considering the nature of the problem, but should have been included anyway.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:44 AM

So should I throw away the books and other things affected by it? I am replacing my trunk so I either have to move those items into my house or throw them away...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive