Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 05:13 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,082,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
My daughter is excited about a car that I am not so sure about. I am not a mechanic so I know little 1st hand.

It is a 2002 Honda Civic EX Coupe with lots of modifications.
$3,950
Forged rods and pistons
ARP head studs
Cometic head gasket
Supertech valve train
Golden Eagle fuel rail
ID 800 cc injectors
Walbro 255 fuel pump
HKS turbo manifold
Garret GT28RS turbocharger
one off custom intake manifold
front mount intercooler
full 3 inch exhaust
Defi guages
Hondatatunable ECU
Koni struts
rebuilt transmission with limited slip differential
No, no no!!!!!!!!

If you want something remotely reliable, only purchase a car that has remained stock. While there are people who modify cars and treat them very well. There are tons more who absolutely beat on them and drive like jack-asses - especially Civics.

I'm a car guy and love fast cars, but I would never considering buying this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 05:42 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,428,879 times
Maybe your daughter is interested in cars like this. Is she knowledgeable about hot rod Hondas? Doe's she work on cars? Does she go to the drag races? Do her friends have cars like this?
If a hot rod Honda is what she wants buying one built up is cheaper than modifying one yourself. Yes it will probably need a lot of maintenance but thats what hot rodders do. It's their interest and passion.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:03 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,248,615 times
If I had a daughter, I would hope that she'd be interested in the modified 2002 Honda. Most of those modifications make the engine more powerful but also stronger, to handle the greater power.

Forged rods and pistons
ARP head studs
Cometic head gasket
Supertech valve train
Golden Eagle fuel rail
ID 800 cc injectors
Walbro 255 fuel pump
HKS turbo manifold
front mount intercooler
full 3 inch exhaust
Defi guages
Hondatatunable ECU
Koni struts

Those are all better-than-original parts. Well, there was no turbo on that car originally, but Garrett turbos are excellent. So it's a nice addition. The parts may be worth more than the complete car, though.

Yes, she might have to get her hands dirty under the hood, but it would be worth it. And $800 to get the AC fixed sounds like a reasonable price.

I'd say it is at least worth a test drive, by both her and you. Who knows, maybe YOU will fall in love with it.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:23 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
My daughter is excited about a car that I am not so sure about. I am not a mechanic so I know little 1st hand.

It is a 2002 Honda Civic EX Coupe with lots of modifications.
$3,950
Forged rods and pistons
ARP head studs
Cometic head gasket
Supertech valve train
Golden Eagle fuel rail
ID 800 cc injectors
Walbro 255 fuel pump
HKS turbo manifold
front mount intercooler
full 3 inch exhaust
Defi guages
Hondatatunable ECU
Koni struts
AC does not work and would cost about $800 to fix. Wife and I think she can get a car for this price with working AC. We are concerned too that all the extra equipment may involve a lot of extra maintenance as well, and may give poor fuel mileage.

Thanks for any feedback from the mechanics out there.
Sounds like she has some interest in this type of street racer,the question is whos money is buying the car and whos money is going to fix/maintain it? if i were putting out the money for a reliable piece of transportation for my daughter i'd insist on a car without all the mods.
If you do get serious about buying this car A thorough mechanical inspection of this car would IMO be mandatory before you were to purchase it.
Out of curiosity what does she drive now and has she done any modifications to it? does she hang around with the tuner crowd?

Old 08-30-2016, 06:24 AM

4,019 posts, read 3,952,283 times
Good luck trying to pass a smog inspection with that thing.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:37 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
NO!

Those kinds of cars are generally modified by kids. Kids do not know what they are doing. Even if they have the basic knowledge, they do not have have developed skills, experience, patience, wisdom. If it had been professionally modified, they would not be able to sell it at that price. These are all custom parts. You do not take this car to the shop on the corner or to the Honda dealer for repair. You order the parts and wait for them to arrive, and then you do the repair yourself, or you find a professional speed shop to do the repairs but you will drop $3,200 a year on that.

Did I miss it, or did they fail to upgrade the brakes on that thing?

If she likes rebuilding engines and just wants this as a hobby car fine. Even then she had better have a few thousand tucked away for parts. Daily driver - is she nuts?

Old 03-26-2017, 05:17 AM

2,618 posts, read 3,148,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Maybe your daughter is interested in cars like this. Is she knowledgeable about hot rod Hondas? Doe's she work on cars? Does she go to the drag races? Do her friends have cars like this?
If a hot rod Honda is what she wants buying one built up is cheaper than modifying one yourself. Yes it will probably need a lot of maintenance but thats what hot rodders do. It's their interest and passion.
She just thought it looked cool. She knows nothing about working on cars and has no money to maintain it. We had to fill the gap when insurance money wouldn't pay the whole bill. We were not about to let her get something needing lots of expensive repairs and upkeep we would have to pay for. And she didn't need more speeding tickets that she would likely get with such a car.

She has been happy with the Corolla. It gets her around and is good on gas. She is finally settled into an OK job and learning more about how to manage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive