Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it weird to hate using a GPS?
Not at all, GPS's are pretty flawed. 60 48.39%
Very much so, you're thinking wrong. 64 51.61%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 12:25 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,734,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Do you open it and read it while driving? Does it help you find your way around traffic? Does it show all the street names of towns that are just circles on the map?

Using this map, in the car, where's 248 W Oak street in McMinnville? Or Gambretti's restaurant in Salem?

Why find a map that shows it, memorize directions to there, then go there hoping there aren't any detours you have to take, when a GPS map can do that live in the car? You're taking 6 steps to do 2, just because you don't want to take advantage of newer, safer, more efficient technology.
Felix probably doesn't use power steering or AC either...okay, I'll stop piling on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
The McNally is for planning ahead of time and for emergencies. Never had to use it for emergencies.

I do not have GPS in my vehicles.

I have an outstanding memory which should be obvious from what I wrote.

Certain types, like you and the other fellow, absolutely need GPS and others prefer not to use it. Like Me.

I gave room for GPS users in my post. But you folks want to be fascists about it? WTF is wrong with people that they cannot live and let live even when it comes to GPS. Why do you need to know this or that? I do not care what you do. I was answering the OP. Is what I wrote unclear to you? If so, too bad.

Effin ridiculous. Society has become full of D-bags
Like I said, how can you memorize someplace you've never been. And if you've never been there I assume you're using a map, just like how a GPS displays a live map. Much easier than using a Rand McNally printed map. But it's the same thing, just one is live time.

Old 09-21-2016, 12:28 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Sounds like we hurt Felix's feelings....
Nah. The prying type of questions after straightforward posts are just ridiculous.

But yeah we all could use a laugh.

OMG you did it again. I look at the address in my home as I planned my weekly trip. Noted the waypoints and distance. Memorize because that is the badass I am and head out. Knowing where to stop for coffee and where decent road food can be had off the turnpike or interstate. What shopping there is near my Hotel,etc. Log the miles from my odometer because I have to account for my travels, company car, cc,etc and all that. Next Day I have the following day visits ready from the night before in the hotel as above and repeat the process. You do this enough and I did for years and it is rote. No need to lookup the day before unless it is a new account to visit.

As I drive I was on my cellphone calling customers and talking business. No GPS then.

Last edited by Felix C; 09-21-2016 at 12:40 PM..

Old 09-21-2016, 12:31 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Why find a map that shows it, memorize directions to there, then go there hoping there aren't any detours you have to take, when a GPS map can do that live in the car? You're taking 6 steps to do 2, just because you don't want to take advantage of newer, safer, more efficient technology.
Unless you take the time to find a good GPS unit, they're generally as unhelpful as a paper map (to the GPS users, at least). I don't want something that's not even made in the US to steer me into gridlocked traffic or make me drive five miles when one will do. In that case, GPS's don't help anyone at all, except maybe Big Oil. As well as Rump and Hellary, who have vested interests in Big Oil.

Old 09-21-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Unless you take the time to find a good GPS unit, they're generally as unhelpful as a paper map (to the GPS users, at least). I don't want something that's not even made in the US to steer me into gridlocked traffic or make me drive five miles when one will do. In that case, GPS's don't help anyone at all, except maybe Big Oil. As well as Rump and Hellary, who have vested interests in Big Oil.
I don't know, many users in this thread must have the good units as their units haven't sent them wayward yet

Old 09-21-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Nah. The prying type of questions after straightforward posts are just ridiculous.

But yeah we all could use a laugh.

OMG you did it again. I look at the address in my home as I planned my weekly trip. Noted the waypoints and distance. Memorize because that is the badass I am and head out. Knowing where to stop for coffee and where decent road food can be had off the turnpike or interstate. What shopping there is near my Hotel,etc. Log the miles from my odometer because I have to account for my travels, company car, cc,etc and all that. Next Day I have the following day visits ready from the night before in the hotel as above and repeat the process. You do this enough and I did for years and it is rote. No need to lookup the day before unless it is a new account to visit.

As I drive I was on my cellphone calling customers and talking business. No GPS then.
All well and good on places you've been before. But you still haven't answered how you memorize places you have never been.

Old 09-21-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
All well and good on places you've been before. But you still haven't answered how you memorize places you have never been.
I did.

Herr Obersturmbannfuhrer. I did.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
I did.

Herr Obersturmbannfuhrer. I did.
Sorry, missed the part where you said you look at the addresses at home. Ok

Had to double check the date to make sure we are still in 2016. For a moment there your post brought me back to 1996.

Last edited by IShootNikon; 09-21-2016 at 01:32 PM..

Old 09-21-2016, 01:01 PM

Jawohl

Old 09-23-2016, 10:32 AM

3,349 posts, read 1,237,798 times
yes it's weird especially if you're driving in an unfamiliar area.

i can understand not wanting it once you know where you're going,but when you don't 99.9% of the time they're better than maps and a compass
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive