Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 12:12 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,311,589 times

Advertisements

This is in West Hartford, CT, right? I have a close friend who lives on Farmington Ave in West Hartford who experience the same issue. Just make a right, then turn into a side street where you can turn around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 12:51 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
I really have no interest going into the minutiae when it comes to cars at the light, it's a long light, there are left turn signals involved, it's not the easiest to explain.

Yes, I get frustrated if someone stops to let me out but another car doesn't help, I think that's a normal emotion. But I in no way expect it to happen.

What drives me up a wall is when the light is red and there is no traffic coming from the left but everyone just has to get as close to the light as possible.
How is oncoming traffic from the right supposed to know you are wanting to pull out and go left? Your turn signal is flashing on the side of the car away from them.

I'd say it's more of a case of drivers focusing on the road ahead of them and the upcoming light and not scanning the side streets on the other side of the road for someone wanting to pull out.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:54 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
This is in West Hartford, CT, right? I have a close friend who lives on Farmington Ave in West Hartford who experience the same issue. Just make a right, then turn into a side street where you can turn around.
Why inconvenience yourself when you can make it someone else's inconvenience?

Old 08-31-2016, 01:20 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,311,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I'd rather just take a quick right then turn around on a side street because it'll be much quicker to do that then wait and be fortunate enough to find a way to take a left. In a case that you're in your driveway, how are people on the road going to know if you're just parked there or not? Sure you can put on your turn signal but cars coming up on you wouldn't notice you have your turn signal on until they're directly next to you. I wouldn't rely on others to do favors for me. Most people don't care on the road unless it benefits them.

Old 08-31-2016, 02:38 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,181 times
Quote:
How is oncoming traffic from the right supposed to know you are wanting to pull out and go left? Your turn signal is flashing on the side of the car away from them.
Because there is no oncoming traffic preventing me from going right and I'm angled so that's it's fairly obvious what I'm doing. I've honestly never given it this much thought. It's just a frustration I was venting about.

Quote:
I'm not inconvenienceing anyone. It's not like I pull halfway out the road and sit there blocking traffic or forcing someone to let me through or crash into me.

Quote:
It doesn't work that way, unfortunately. If I go right it's a mile + to get to the next block then after I turn right I have to drive back that extra mile+ in addition. Believe me I think about it at times.

Quote:
I'd rather just take a quick right then turn around on a side street because it'll be much quicker to do that then wait and be fortunate enough to find a way to take a left. In a case that you're in your driveway, how are people on the road going to know if you're just parked there or not? Sure you can put on your turn signal but cars coming up on you wouldn't notice you have your turn signal on until they're directly next to you. I wouldn't rely on others to do favors for me. Most people don't care on the road unless it benefits them.
It's not a big deal, it's frustrating, yes, but I do my best to make sure I'm not rushed. It's not the end of the world and I don't expect the world to just stop and let me out. Some people need to chill. It's really not this serious.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:42 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
I think most of these people racing-to-a-red are not real desperate to gets somewhere in a hurry.....they have just been driving like idiots for so long, it is now second-nature.

Old 09-04-2016, 11:33 PM

25,842 posts, read 16,522,667 times
A person's driveway, of course I would always let them out. A McDonalds or White Castle? No chance. Screw em, the business needs to relocate if they put their customers in that situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive