Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 03:41 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
My car has to go in for its first service soon. That free scheduled maintenance is such a beating - I can't complain about the cost of my oil changes in this thread.

My truck is also up for its first service soon. But there is no way in hell I'm going to let the dealer change my oil, even though it's "free". I'm going to install a Fumoto oil drain valve, a Mobil 1 oil filter and Mobil 1 oil. After that, I can drive it up on ramps in my garage and do an oil and filter change in less time than the dealer can, and I know it's done right. Go to any car or truck form and it isn't hard to find horror stories about the dealer or jiffy lube place screwing up what should be a very simple procedure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 06:49 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
Hmmmm I'm reminded of people that believe a Oil Change should be done at a certain mileage like 3K or 5K etc.

They are around 500 miles to go but the oil is now dirty but will continue to drive until the full miles has been driven.

To me Dirty is still Dirty....hell with that potential engine wear on those remaining 500 or so miles.

I learned from my late Mechanic dad who always drove GM Chev or Cads and always changed oil and filter every 1000 miles. Engines NEVER had any problems. I also did the same thing with my Cads and never any repairs other then the normal tune ups.

Granted the oil back then was not up to par with todays improvements but any Oil change and a Tune up is still the CHEAPEST expense on any car.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:35 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
My truck is also up for its first service soon. But there is no way in hell I'm going to let the dealer change my oil, even though it's "free". I'm going to install a Fumoto oil drain valve, a Mobil 1 oil filter and Mobil 1 oil. After that, I can drive it up on ramps in my garage and do an oil and filter change in less time than the dealer can, and I know it's done right. Go to any car or truck form and it isn't hard to find horror stories about the dealer or jiffy lube place screwing up what should be a very simple procedure.
I mean, I'm going to assume the local BMW dealer that's been around for 35+ years is capable of doing an oil change.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:52 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,934,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
is this thread even real?
No it not real it only dream.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:31 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
I mean, I'm going to assume the local BMW dealer that's been around for 35+ years is capable of doing an oil change.

The dealer may have been around for 35 years, but the teenager doing your oil change hasn't. I'm sure you can find oil change horror stories on the German car forums too.

Old 09-03-2016, 12:42 AM

384 posts, read 734,497 times
Dont take it to the dealership?????????

Old 09-03-2016, 05:45 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,367,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Hmmmm I'm reminded of people that believe a Oil Change should be done at a certain mileage like 3K or 5K etc.

I learned from my late Mechanic dad who always drove GM Chevy or Cads and always changed oil and filter every 1000 miles.

Granted the oil back then was not up to par with todays improvements but any Oil change and a Tune up is still the CHEAPEST expense on any car.
Agree with all of this except the 1000 mile part. Chevy recommends oil & filter for the performance engines every 3K miles. With Mobil 1 synthetic oil that is still far below that oil's mileage rating. Tune-ups don't have to be done that often anymore either since there is really nothing to tune up except changing the plugs which now last much longer. There are no points, everything is computer controlled, and cars generally don't run rich or lean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veritasveritas View Post
Dont take it to the dealership?????????
It depends on which dealer you're using and the guy doing the work. Also, if the car is under warranty it might require using the dealer.

(Side note: saw the most beautiful blood red Corvette yesterday at the dealer while getting the Camaro serviced. List price was $74,000. It was gorgeous but my wife would have a coronary if I ever brought something like that home)

Old 09-03-2016, 07:07 AM

8,692 posts, read 11,078,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
No it not real it only dream.

hmmm

Old 09-03-2016, 09:42 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,271,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
OK, so let me get this straight. Can you, or can you not change your own oil/oil filter in your luxury brand automobile?
It may be the issue of warranty. How do you prove you changed your own oil, and done it "properly?"

Old 09-03-2016, 10:36 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
As a Certified California Automotive Lemon Law Arbitrator this questions does come up.

The onus is on the consumer to convince the Arbitrator and often this is done by a log accompanied by receipts.

The last time the issue was raised the owner provided receipts for oil and filter and the oil filter receipt was from the selling dealer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive