Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 07:04 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,116,205 times

Advertisements

Truly, there is a conspiracy of "High Maintenance Cost Automotive Engineering..." It's really purposeful total bull**** engineering that some BRANDS do to make vehicles very expensive to maintain... Why? Probably for DEALER PROFITS!

The reasoning is if they engineer their vehicle to be hard to repair or specifically repaired by their vehicle dealerships, then Dealers would profit more due to charging customers more $$$ for specific repairs only done by their "Factory Trained Mechanics."

That's why, before I buy ANY VEHICLE, I look at the engine / vehicle and ascertain if it's "Home Mechanic Friendly."

Because really, now even independent mechanics today are charging excessive maintenance costs to keep in business, because they have to invest in learning how to repair the more complexly designed AUTOMOTIVE BULL**** that's put out there in today's vehicles!

What Vehicles or Brand Stories of complex to repair automotive BS have you run into?

Personally, all the vehicles I had ever owned mostly had no complex repair BS...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 07:06 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,442,558 times
Most German cars are really costly to maintain.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:11 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
Another RIPOFF is the special tools required to do any maintenance.
Manufacturer specific tools.

Someone tell me why any manufacturer would make parts that require special tools?

Old 08-29-2016, 08:00 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,077,573 times
How about, being able to easily repair wasn't the main priority.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:14 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,385,415 times
Manufacturers priority is to make the car cheap to assemble on the line in the factory. Repairing it after it is out of warranty is not a big concern to them. That is why simple is more owner friendly.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Manufacturers priority is to make the car cheap to assemble on the line in the factory. Repairing it after it is out of warranty is not a big concern to them. That is why simple is more owner friendly.
NO, maybe a few Japanese/korean models, but certainly not almost anything german.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:07 PM

19,028 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Anything European, Scandinavian makes. Not sure about FIAT. No idea, heard nothing good or bad about brand. From what I saw in Volvo forums, Swedes are even worse than Germans in specialty tools requirements. That's why I like Honda - 10 mm 14mm, 15mm and once in a while odd 18mm head. That's about it.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:55 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,116,205 times
YEAH, but I drive a 1999 Honda Civic HX and a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT.

My 1999 Honda is an easy to repair "classic oldie" vehicle. With M/T, I can easily do my own valve adjustments. Last one took one hour. The last Honda Fit I looked at - it was a big incredible mess to do a valve adjustment. Valve adjustments are one of the unique but nasty things about Honda's. But at least it's not a GERMAN vehicle, I guess...

You guys know the story about the high maintenance costs of a GERMAN vehicle... Looking into it, I see purposely "stupid [?]" engineering in them!

I ran into this one guy who needed a jump start on his Mecedes car. The electric battery was put into the rear trunk where the lock is opened by a battery powered switch. If the battery is dead and the trunk is locked, you have to rip off the front right floor covering and jump start the battery with a battery connection there. Really, either that is a) Stupid Engineering b) Puposeful "Design ****" engineering!

Old 08-29-2016, 10:04 PM

8,138 posts, read 3,674,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
YEAH, but I drive a 1999 Honda Civic HX and a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT.

My 1999 Honda is an easy to repair "classic oldie" vehicle. With M/T, I can easily do my own valve adjustments. Last one took one hour. The last Honda Fit I looked at - it was a big incredible mess to do a valve adjustment. Valve adjustments are one of the unique but nasty things about Honda's. But at least it's not a GERMAN vehicle, I guess...

You guys know the story about the high maintenance costs of a GERMAN vehicle... Looking into it, I see purposely "stupid [?]" engineering in them!

I ran into this one guy who needed a jump start on his Mecedes car. The electric battery was put into the rear trunk where the lock is opened by a battery powered switch. If the battery is dead and the trunk is locked, you have to rip off the front right floor covering and jump start the battery with a battery connection there. Really, either that is a) Stupid Engineering b) Puposeful "Design ****" engineering!
Truth to be told, I'm not familiar with mercedes at all, but I'll make I wild guess, and say it is likely to be similar to bmw. So, a hint: open the hood (yes, not the trunk where the battery is) if a jump start is needed..

Old 08-29-2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Truth to be told, I'm not familiar with mercedes at all, but I'll make I wild guess, and say it is likely to be similar to bmw. So, a hint: open the hood (yes, not the trunk where the battery is) if a jump start is needed..
yep, I had a few bmws that had the battery in the trunk, and some that had em under the back seat. Theres always a terminal under the hood. (you don't have to jump directly to the battery). But for driving improvement it puts more weight in the back over the rear wheels, and balancing it out better. Just like some of the maintenance issues were talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive