Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 07:36 AM

998 posts, read 1,236,978 times

Advertisements

Check Tire Rack website for test data, consumer reviews, and pricing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 08:33 AM

505 posts, read 847,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
I will second Falken. They seem to get no love but the set I had on my '02 Monte Carlo SS were phenomenal in both wet and dry and amazingly inexpensive.
My experience with Falken has been that they get noisy and wear rather quickly.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:05 AM

49 posts, read 80,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Lydia, no the S Yokohama is not the same tire. The YK tire has different structured tred across the tire for small cars. If you are in Nashville, there are several Discount Tire locations there and they can show you the tires. Good thing about Discount Tire, if you put the tires on the car and don't like them, they will sell you a different tire and give you a full refund for the Yokohama's. So it's not a matter of buy them and you're stuck with them.
At one time I was a Michelin fan. Then Michelin went to a high carbon tire compound. This high carbon makes the tires go farther. The big problem with high carbon is that as it ages, it becomes hard, just like all Michelin tires do over time. The day you buy them, they are great. But as they age they get hard, ride quality goes away and traction goes away. This is true of any high carbon content formulation compound tire. There is no argument here- it's a fact of high carbon tires so be aware.

Here's the tred and block design for the YK580 tire. Notice that it is not symmetrical across the tire. Makes for better traction with small, light cars.
Thank you so much for such a comprehensive answer. You sound like you really know what you are speaking of.

I read some reviews online that said this tire doesn't perform well in heavy rain- but you don't think thats the case? Otherwise it looks pretty case.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:20 AM

787 posts, read 780,759 times
Continental ExtremeContact DWS are pretty decent.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:21 AM

329 posts, read 627,966 times
I got a 2007 cng civic and recently bought sumitomo for $70ish on tirerack. Seem to be just fine for daily duties.

Old 08-31-2016, 11:11 AM

19,029 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lydia44 View Post
Thank you. I am going on a long road trip across the continental U.S. and back, basically. So I do want a comfortable, soft ride. I have autoplaned before and would like to avoid that and have good road grip.

So I am open to any and all suggestions.

The only thing is I am leaving on my road trip in about a week (!) so I don't want to order online if that means I can't leave on time....

Then you want touring tires with low rolling resistance. Touring is designed for comfortable ride and LRR will improve your gas mileage.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:04 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Research & Advice Check here.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:39 PM

Thank you to everyone. I think I have narrowed it down between the

Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus
Pirelli*Cinturato P7 All Season Plus

and the

Michelin Premier A/S

Michelin*Premier A/S

Does anyone have any input on which to buy?

Old 08-31-2016, 12:54 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,592,838 times
I don't do Michelins, period. Every Michelin I had hydroplaned.
That Pirelli looks right. Price is about right. Tire is OK. A bit of a loud name for Civic but hey, a girl may use a loud name once in a while, right, lydia? Btw, my mom was Lydia.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I don't do Michelins, period. Every Michelin I had hydroplaned.
That Pirelli looks right. Price is about right. Tire is OK. A bit of a loud name for Civic but hey, a girl may use a loud name once in a while, right, lydia? Btw, my mom was Lydia.
Yeah, the Pirelli is going to be about $100 cheaper for all 4 tires. I definitely DONT want to hydroplane, but then it says that the Michelins have better tread?

It is a bit loud for a Civic.. I'm gonna feel like a race car driving with these Pirelli's on. And cool, Lydia's a great name
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive