Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 09:31 AM

256 posts, read 453,013 times

Advertisements

Sounds like it is possible, which is good. I am going to call a couple dealers this morning and try to work with them over the phone before making a 3 hour drive one way. Hopefully they will work with me to some degree before taking the time to find a baby sitter for the night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 09:49 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerThyme View Post
Sounds like it is possible, which is good. I am going to call a couple dealers this morning and try to work with them over the phone before making a 3 hour drive one way. Hopefully they will work with me to some degree before taking the time to find a baby sitter for the night.
Keep in mind, when driving that far, they are likely to give you a "ballpark" over the phone and then find reasons to reduce the trade value when they see the car. It's to your benefit if they don't know how far you came, they will count on you not wanting to drive all the way back without making a deal. I once bought from a place almost that far away and they knew because I had called to see what they had in stock. They were very surprised when I started to walk away and go home in my trade, but then called me back and made the deal I wanted.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:57 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,076,995 times
Have you tried checking craigslist barter ads? It will probably be mostly motorcycles and RV offers, but you might be able to trade up.

Dealers can trade up or down, and they can write you a check if there is a difference in your favor, its negotiating.

Is there something specific you are looking to trade for, or are you just tired of the car quickly and need something different?

Old 09-02-2016, 10:58 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Quote:
Will dealers trade for trade? I don't want to be entirely ripped off, so idealy would like to do a nada trade for nada trade. Not my nada trade-in for their nada retail.
Will dealers trade? Yes.

Will the dealer sell you a car at its book trade-in price? Doubtful.

They're two separate transactions and the dealer would want to maximize profit on both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerThyme
I understand car dealers are in business to make money. My car is worth $9875 trade in and $11250 private party. So the car is worth around $9875 to a dealer as trade. Similar cars on Craigslist are selling for $12-14k on dealer lots. So it would appear getting at least $9500 on trade shouldn't be to unreasonable to ask? I wouldn't take any further hit though.
$12-14k are asking prices on dealer lots.
If the car was worth this much, why couldn't you move yours by undercutting them? What was your last asking price?

Old 09-02-2016, 02:30 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times
Being in the business, I can tell you this...
Sorry but you have a very undesirable car.. 4 door with manual transmission hurts the value a lot.. Forget nada.. They are going to use the black book on your car... If you have decent miles (under 25k).. You will be close to 7000. If you are lucky...

It can be worse.. If you owned a Nissan Leaf.. You would be losing 70% of sticker

Old 09-02-2016, 09:45 PM

Had an offer for what I actually wanted, but when the head honcho went over the information he decided to back away since it is a manual. He said they are hard to push in my area and not many people know how to drive them anymore.

@jaypee - Dealer asking price and local private price are two different things. Dealer are always several thousand more and people are willing to purchase them because they can have the dealer finance them, buy extended warranties , etc.

I have a friend that will never buy used private party. He would rather haggle with a dealer to have a small warranty, a free oil change or two, and the multi-point inspection over saving a couple grand with a private party seller.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:57 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Quote:
Had an offer for what I actually wanted, but when the head honcho went over the information he decided to back away since it is a manual. He said they are hard to push in my area and not many people know how to drive them anymore.

@jaypee - Dealer asking price and local private price are two different things. Dealer are always several thousand more and people are willing to purchase them because they can have the dealer finance them, buy extended warranties , etc.

I have a friend that will never buy used private party. He would rather haggle with a dealer to have a small warranty, a free oil change or two, and the multi-point inspection over saving a couple grand with a private party seller.
Um, yes, I know that. So as a private party you can undercut the dealers on price for those buyers who just want the best value. What was your last asking price?

Old 09-02-2016, 10:59 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
Quote:
I understand car dealers are in business to make money. My car is worth $9875 trade in and $11250 private party. So the car is worth around $9875 to a dealer as trade. Similar cars on Craigslist are selling for $12-14k on dealer lots. So it would appear getting at least $9500 on trade shouldn't be to unreasonable to ask? I wouldn't take any further hit though.

Going to call around tomorrow and talk with a few dealers. I under stand how this works, was just curious if anyone has experience with trading up or down, and how much a typical dealer is willing to negotiate.
as you've outlined, the only way you'll know what deals are open to you will be to shop the local dealers and get their offers.

Don't be surprised if the numbers are far less favorable than you're expecting ...

Old 09-02-2016, 11:30 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,035 times
OP Your best route would be to sell your car and take cash with you when shopping at the dealer.

Old 09-03-2016, 03:35 AM

Someone of you are only reading the original post and not following through. I had an offer for what I wanted $10k, but head guy who makes final call at the dealer backed out when he reviewed and found it was a manual - fair enough. There is another dealer a friend said it s worth checking out. The guy is fair and likes to work with people, and turns out he owned the house next to my mother-in-law. She stated he is a really nice guy and would be worth talking to for 5-minutes just to see what he has to say. We stopped at his lot after hours and most of the trucks have higher mileage, but his prices are fair and spot on / under slightly from NADA listing.

@jaypee, last asking price was $12k - was lowered to $11500 today. I am just going to hold out for a while longer and only drive it when needed. We will use my wife's vehicle more often for now. However, if we're feeling good tomorrow, we may stop at that dealer for fun and see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive