Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 09:21 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times

Advertisements

We were out car shopping today for my son (25). This is his second car. The lease on his Rav4 was up a few days ago. Now he is looking to get a sedan in the midsize category. Read Camry/Accord/Mazda 6/ etc. If my son is any indication, American car brands are in trouble among the up and coming generation. American cars are not even on his radar. I thought Fusions are one of the better looking cars on the market so I talked him into looking at one. First off, Ford is not a brand that millennials particularly want to be seen in. Second, the window sticker was prominently advertising that the car is Made in Mexico as well as the engine. He looked no further, and neither did I. I was trying to be patriotic but was kicked in the mouth like this. If Ford doesn't understand that part of their appeal is being American, then they don't know their customers. He is leaning toward Mazda 6.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 09:26 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Okay. And?

Old 09-05-2016, 09:27 PM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
We were out car shopping today for my son (25). This is his second car. The lease on his Rav4 was up a few days ago. Now he is looking to get a sedan in the midsize category. Read Camry/Accord/Mazda 6/ etc. If my son is any indication, American car brands are in trouble among the up and coming generation. American cars are not even on his radar. I thought Fusions are one of the better looking cars on the market so I talked him into looking at one. First off, Ford is not a brand that millennials particularly want to be seen in. Second, the window sticker was prominently advertising that the car is Made in Mexico as well as the engine. He looked no further, and neither did I. I was trying to be patriotic but was kicked in the mouth like this. If Ford doesn't understand that part of their appeal is being American, then they don't know their customers. He is leaning toward Mazda 6.
I don't know how you conclude such things about an entire generation. I have always seen plenty of American cars in university parking lots. They don't seem to conform to the stereotype.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:36 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
The unions auto workers making $25 a hour decades ago, for a job you can learn how to do in a couple of hours, is the reason their made in Mexico.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:42 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
You were trying to be patriotic but instead of buying a Ford you're thinking about buying a Mazda instead?
Carry on.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:49 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Interesting, HappyRider . . .

Sure sounds like you were looking for an excuse rather than being patriotic.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:53 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
The Ford plant in Mexico is north of Mexico City next to the Hwy going to Queretaro. Drove past there many times.

That was some time ago but did see the New cars displayed at the dealership.

What they are doing is to limit production to a specific model instead of all models being made at one plant.

Imagine GM does the same thing.

I saw Cads on display at the Mall that showed orange peel in the paint job......Salesgirl tried to sell me one but I told her I could get one in nicer shape in the US.

With so many Models it pays to have plants scattered around specifically for just one design.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:06 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,533 times
All automakers source parts from multiple countries.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:07 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times
Fords being made in Mexico yet my 2016 Honda Accord was built in Ohio. Go figure! I guess it's more patriotic to buy an Accord.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:27 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
If the VIN starts with a 1, 4 or 5, it was made in the US. If a 2 it was made in Canada. If a 3, Mexico, Any letter is foreign.

Just for fun, check the VIN of cars you think are "American" and see what the VIN shows as their country of manufacturing. Next check all those foreign cars and see how many were born in the USA. If the concern is buying "American", buy from an american manufacture regardless if it was made in another country. If the concern is employing workers right here in the USA, buy only those manufactured in this country regardless if a foreign owned company or not. Truth is most Americans have no idea where a car is manufactured, only what manufacture name is on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive