U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2016, 01:18 PM

14,378 posts, read 17,001,028 times

Advertisements

I used to date a shadetree mechanic, and he insisted that I must tip the tow truck driver, which I have no objection to doing as they are usually saving my butt. My car broke down and I had no cash on me, but when the tow truck driver brought me and my truck home, my bf at the time literally raided our grocery money to give the guy a tip. It was the first time I'd ever needed a tow. I later dated a tow truck driver, and we'd eat out on the tips he'd get from his customers when he'd had a good week.

However, I tried to tip a tow truck driver who towed my pickup a couple years ago, and he was insulted that I offered a tip. And I just tipped the guy towing my Subaru, and he seemed surprised I gave him a tip.

So I'm confused. It's not like this comes up often - maybe once every three years or so - but I'm kinda curious what the proper etiquette is.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 01:20 PM

8,146 posts, read 10,019,211 times
tipping for just doing his job?

Old 09-06-2016, 01:33 PM

14,100 posts, read 16,919,816 times
Was towed due to a breakdown once. Bill was $70 (with AAA) I gave him a $20 tip and he was very appreciative.

Second time I was moving a classic car. Guy was extra careful for me and I noticed. Bill was $175 and I gave him a $25 tip. He also seemed very appreciative of that.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:06 PM

5,644 posts, read 5,332,853 times
I would only tip if it was in crappy conditions (ie stuck in mud/snow/etc, 115 degrees, or subzero temps outside). Other than that, its his job, and he gets paid by his employer already.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:44 PM

23,715 posts, read 28,807,197 times
No. My towing (breakdown/accident/weather/whatever) in through my Insurance Company and they state not to tip. That being said when I lived in NY everyone no matter who always had their hand out. When I moved down south, it was seen as a insult for tipping to do their job.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:03 PM

900 posts, read 902,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
tipping for just doing his job?
Should we only tip people who aren't doing their job?

I used to work with a gal who's husband was a postal carrier. She said that around Christmas time they would start getting all kinds of gift cards and liquor and candy and stuff from the "customers" on the guy's mail route. They would have enough gift cards to go out to eat almost any time they wanted for months afterwards. Not a bad gig.

I'm not sure why people feel obligated to tip people for just doing their job, but a lot of people do. Either way I'm not sure why anyone would be insulted by being offered some extra money every once in a while. That doesn't make any sense to me. Especially someone with a physically demanding job who has to deal with the public.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:33 PM

14,378 posts, read 17,001,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
Should we only tip people who aren't doing their job?

I used to work with a gal who's husband was a postal carrier. She said that around Christmas time they would start getting all kinds of gift cards and liquor and candy and stuff from the "customers" on the guy's mail route. They would have enough gift cards to go out to eat almost any time they wanted for months afterwards. Not a bad gig.

I'm not sure why people feel obligated to tip people for just doing their job, but a lot of people do. Either way I'm not sure why anyone would be insulted by being offered some extra money every once in a while. That doesn't make any sense to me. Especially someone with a physically demanding job who has to deal with the public.
Well, my one ex felt really strongly about it, even though it wasn't a job he'd ever done, just worked closely with. But having spent a lot of time with an actual tow-truck driver, I guess I got a rundown of just how grueling it could be. Not to mention dangerous - sometimes he'd be lying right next to highway traffic or towing an illegally parked car and have to deal with the angry owner. And the worse the weather, the more he had to be out in it.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:35 PM

4,809 posts, read 4,942,615 times
Yes, just the tip

Old 09-06-2016, 04:15 PM

7,018 posts, read 8,349,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
I'm not sure why people feel obligated to tip people for just doing their job, but a lot of people do.
I've tipped tow drivers, particularly those who have gone out of their way to provide extra service or deal with extreme condition.

Tow driver in Virginia- called around to auto parts stores to find out who, if anyone, had an alternator in stock for my car. He found one, had the clerk physically verify that they had it, and towed me nearly a hundred miles to the store. Then he hung around while I changed it out, to give me a jump and get me going. >>Big tip.

Wife forgot to put 4WD on to get down the driveway, got stuck, then engaged the 4WD and got double-stuck- buried her Jeep so deep that *my* truck wouldn't pull it out. Miserable wet and cold weather, had to get a boom rig to lift it out, driver had to lay in mud and water during a freezing-rain storm to get chains on >>Big tip.

Some people go above and beyond their 'obligation' in the service they provide, I appreciate it and show it, not just for *my* sake, but for the next people, and to make up for those buttwipes who *don't* show any appreciation for people who do more than they 'have' to.

Sometimes it might be just "Here, get yourself a cup of coffee", other times it might be "Here, take your wife out for a nice dinner when you get a chance"...generally speaking, on the occasions that I need a rescue, it's outside of 'normal' business hours, and more often than not the weather is pretty bad...not that I need rescuing a lot, I usually have enough tools and resources to get out of most difficulties, but in 40 years there have been a handful of times when [stuff] happened that was beyond my ability to get out from under the pile on my own.

Old 09-06-2016, 04:20 PM

1,506 posts, read 1,671,473 times
Unlike waiters, tow truck drivers are not working for tips.

I wouldn't unless there was a high probability of needing the same driver again, such as a small town or rural area, or some unusual circumstances.

They don't seem to expect tips, either.

I don't even tip my dentist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive