Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 09:52 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,675,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
We purchase most of what we buy online from Amazon regardless of whether I decide to buy automotive parts or not. We also use their Prime service for movies, music, etc.... So the bonus is that I can ALSO buy parts from them along with all my other purchases. I didn't get Prime just to buy car parts. So no... I don't factor in paying $99 per year for Prime because I pay it regardless of whether I buy car parts, home items, etc..... The bonus of me ALREADY having the service is that my auto parts are shipped in 2 days for FREE. There is no extra shipping charge. The $99 is for the membership that INCLUDES free shipping, tv, movies, music, etc...

Last year we made 204 Amazon purchases. Out of those 204, 3 were car part purchases. If you really want to nitpick the cost of shipping based on the $99 membership that I ALREADY PAY, then shipping cost me a total of $2.06 per item. For a 40+ lb. drag link, $2.06 in "shipping" and a 2 day delivery isn't a bad deal. So cut it up however you want it (not sure why you got your knickers in a wad) it is sometimes cheaper to buy it from Amazon.

Not to mention, I have had to return quite a few items for various reasons. NO restock fees, NO pushback, and so far the money was back in my account within 2-3 days.

Out of the 5-6 purchases I have made from RA not one delivered in 2 days, not one charged me less than $10 shipping, and in the event that I had to return something it was an act of Congress to get them to agree to it or refund my money.
I do agree that Amazon has awesome customer service. But if one didn't have Prime then one has to factor shipping costs involved for both Amazon and RockAuto. Shipping is hit/miss with both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 09:53 AM

6,013 posts, read 6,594,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I do agree that Amazon has awesome customer service. But if one didn't have Prime then one has to factor shipping costs involved for both Amazon and RockAuto. Shipping is hit/miss with both.

I've been fortunate to have never had a missed shipment but I agree that without Prime you really lose the benefit of shipping costs. I have bought things on there before that weren't Prime eligible and it has ranged from 3-15 days for delivery. Prime is the key.

Old 09-08-2016, 01:33 PM

761 posts, read 910,763 times
Most of my cars tend to be German and their selection of parts for them isn't nearly as good as it is for domestic and Asian cars, but they do have really good prices for basic maintenance stuff. A friend of mine was quoted ~$500 for a secondary air pump for his Porsche, he ended up getting one from Rock Auto for about half that. I thought that was a steal.

Old 09-08-2016, 03:48 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,518,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranston View Post
I don't see the appeal of Rock Auto....I find Amazon Prime to far superior.
If you do a lot of online ordering $99 a year is cheap, then throw in the other benefits of Prime, tv, music, etc. Plus if they miss a delivery and you call their customer service, (make sure you speak to someone in the US, just ask, you'll get one and keep the jobs here), and if they ask, "Is there something else they can do for you?" ask for a month's free Prime. I've gotten 13 months so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
$99/year. Big difference.

I have never
had to do a return yet so don't know about their customer service.

I do like their selection and prices. I don't like their online ordering system is though. You really have no idea what warehouse an item is shipping from so you are playing roulette when ordering multiple items hoping they all come same warehouse to reduce shipping costs. If you order 5 items and all 5 come from different warehouses you'll pay through the nose for shipping.

Otherwise you really can't beat their prices and selection for most items.
Amazon has quite a liberal return policy, sometimes they just tell you to keep the item.

Old 09-08-2016, 04:08 PM

Yep, happened to me years ago. Ordered turkey fryer around Christmas. We lived in a condo. UPS left it at my front door. I was gone for the weekend. Came back and it wasn't there. Called up Amazon and without even pleading they sent out another one. I'm pretty sure it was our next door neighbor but that's another story for another day

Old 09-08-2016, 05:52 PM

13,254 posts, read 8,332,154 times
Dispute it with your credit card issuance.

I've had a few transactions with rock auto. The gentleman I worked with gave full credit of return. All documentation thru email and the tracking of RA. No restock fee as they confirmed the part was mis cataloged to fit my car. Simple resolution. Another time the rotors were warped and I immediately notified them. They did say I had to pay the restock fee and I said...consider it making it back ,the restocking to your inventory. Write it off..but nope I expect full credit . Treat them professionally and sometimes they will work with you.

Old 09-11-2016, 09:27 PM

22,569 posts, read 24,365,374 times
In this day and age I EXPECT rudeness and cr@99y "service" from just about all businesses.

So I just go for the best deal and dismiss any sort of expectations with regards to dealing with the Humavirus.

I have used Rockauto quite a few times and it has gone well. But I have never had to interact with a Humazombie, so I suspect my satisfaction will go way down when that dreadful situation comes about.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:15 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,165,163 times
I use to use rock auto, but we have a local advanced and I have gotten to know the manager some. This guy gives out percent off deals like free water. Doesn't even care if you have a coupon or not.

I go there when I need stuff right now, or trying out a part I am not sure about and can easily return for a refund that day etc...

I also order from Amazon. My wife is a prime member so I we can use it for the whole family.

I guess it just depends on what I am buying. Basic maintenance item vs big $ part vs what the parts cost/any savings I can get etc.....

I will say though, that when I am buying online I expect top customer service and no hassle returns or I won't buy from there.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:19 AM

98 posts, read 135,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranston View Post
I don't see the appeal of Rock Auto....I find Amazon Prime to far superior.
Rock Auto can be unbeatable on close-out parts.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:30 AM

Rock Auto's interface (although simple) is more intuitive. You get all your parts for your car on one page. Amazon is a mess when searching. If you prefer Amazon you would still be better off searching for the part # on Rock Auto first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive