Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 07:05 PM

49 posts, read 80,703 times

Advertisements

I have posted here before about my car which had battery acid spilled in the trunk.

I ordered a new trunk for my Honda Civic, but now it has to be installed.

I went to the Honda dealership and they estimated it would cost $100+ for the time of labor.

Is that a fair price? Can I do better? I'm pretty clueless about these things

I already paid $300 plus for all the trunk components, so I would rather not pay $100 on top for installation (though i will if I have to)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 07:08 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
what do you mean you ordered a "new trunk"? Did you order a new trunk lid? New carpeting?

Old 09-09-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
what do you mean you ordered a "new trunk"? Did you order a new trunk lid? New carpeting?
Hmmmm... it's kind of hard to explain. The material is kind of soft and pliable, but with carpet on top. There's also a harder lid that goes over my spare tire. Anyway, it's basically the lining of the trunk, if I had to choose another label for it...

Old 09-09-2016, 08:37 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Lydia, I'm not familiar with civics but those things are typically just layed in there and should just come right out, look in the manual how to take it out because it will have directions for the spare. Removing the old one can't really harm anything so why not try it? If you have other pieces for the sides at the very most they may be fastened with a little glue that is easily removed and perhaps some plastic push fasteners. If there is any plastic push fasteners they have ridges on them and they need to be pried off, sometimes they break but they can be bought for almost nothing at automotive store. Taking it apart will give you an idea of how it goes back together.

Check for any damage to the paint from the battery acid, if you find anything rusty clean it with steel wool and then spray it with similar colored paint.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:42 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
If you can get anything done at a dealer for $100 it is a bargain. You figure, most get between $80 and $100 per hour, so it doesn't take long to add up.

Don

Old 09-09-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Lydia, I'm not familiar with civics but those things are typically just layed in there and should just come right out, look in the manual how to take it out because it will have directions for the spare. Removing the old one can't really harm anything so why not try it? If you have other pieces for the sides at the very most they may be fastened with a little glue that is easily removed and perhaps some plastic push fasteners. If there is any plastic push fasteners they have ridges on them and they need to be pried off, sometimes they break but they can be bought for almost nothing at automotive store. Taking it apart will give you an idea of how it goes back together.

Check for any damage to the paint from the battery acid, if you find anything rusty clean it with steel wool and then spray it with similar colored paint.

Thank you. Maybe I will try to do it myself. I can't find any guides online though and there are 3 parts... but maybe i will be able to figure it out

Old 09-09-2016, 09:03 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
If you can't understand/see how it is done yourself. Just spend the $100. That is not a bad deal for anything done at a dealership. And even if shopping around get you 50% off, you are still then in the hands of someone else who may be less scrupulous.

Let the dealer do it and get it over with. Besides, the dealer will probably have a better warranty.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
If you can get anything done at a dealer for $100 it is a bargain. You figure, most get between $80 and $100 per hour, so it doesn't take long to add up.

Don
Thanks. I think I will try not to go to the dealer.

When i had my oil changed and my car inspected at auto service shop, the guy and I chatted and he said he would do it for me for free. But I feel bad to go back and ask. Do you think it's easy enough to do where someone would do it for free? It seems complicated to me.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
If you can't understand/see how it is done yourself. Just spend the $100. That is not a bad deal for anything done at a dealership. And even if shopping around get you 50% off, you are still then in the hands of someone else who may be less scrupulous.

Let the dealer do it and get it over with. Besides, the dealer will probably have a better warranty.
He said it would be over $100... he was saying that it will probably take an hour or so. He couldn't give me an exact price but specified over 100

Old 09-09-2016, 09:11 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

Don
I don't know Don, this sounds like 5 minute job that would amount to checking the air in the spare tire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive