Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 06:30 AM

844 posts, read 1,442,432 times

Advertisements

Im not a car expert nor do I claim to be one, but KIA is a horrible car make. I've never known a person who have a KIA longer then about 6-7 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 06:41 AM

281 posts, read 327,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
Im not a car expert nor do I claim to be one, but KIA is a horrible car make. I've never known a person who have a KIA longer then about 6-7 years.

I love mine. It's out of warranty and I have never had to make a warranty claim. It's been rock solid both for reliability and the fit and finish is better than my last new car, which was a Honda.

Old 09-11-2016, 06:55 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
Quote:
I am no car expert either but based on a lot of postings in the car forum many people don't keep their cars longer than five years.

A company that gives you a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty must be doing something right.

I test drove a friends KIA and it was rattle free, had plenty of power and quite comfortable.

What is your non expert reason for calling it a horrible car?

Old 09-11-2016, 08:03 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,407,065 times
GM is bad, they follow and lag the industry leaders. They screwed loyal customers in the 80s and 90s building crap they was cheaply built and in reliable and was slow to figure out how to follow the Japanese makers leading in quality. Being a follower and allowing unions to put in place work rules and benefits they could not afford and letting bean counters run the company not engineers and designers ended their dominance.

Some start up Korean and European companies build bad cars too but not to the extend of GM and other US makers and they didnt allow an unsustainable cost structure to be the final nail. IF the Gov had not bailed GM out they would have failed under their own bad decisions.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:20 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,656,125 times
Quote:
I use to be a loyal fan of GM, especially Chevy until owning the 1997-2003 era Chevy Malibu with 3.1L V6. I now own a 2015 Hyundai Elantra (sister to the Kia Forte). These two cars do well in comparison test and improve with each model. Among the worst are Mitsubishi & Chrysler/FIAT. Mitsubishi killed off their midsize sedan, the Galant. Their compact, the Lancer, is outdated. Their subcompact, Mirage, is disposable. Chrysler/Dodge are eliminating their midsize sedan, Chrysler 200, as well as their compact sedan, Dodge Dart; both built on the same platform with different lengths and engines. All they have now is the Chrysler 300 and the two Dodge cars built on the same platform and then SUVs. GM has a history of producing cars with defects, blaming customers when they bring their car in for these defects, and not make any changes to correct the defects until the next generation, loss of class action lawsuit, or ordered by the government.

Old 09-11-2016, 09:16 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,817,521 times
Yugo...

Old 09-11-2016, 09:53 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I am no car expert either but based on a lot of postings in the car forum many people don't keep their cars longer than five years.

A company that gives you a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty must be doing something right.

I test drove a friends KIA and it was rattle free, had plenty of power and quite comfortable.

What is your non expert reason for calling it a horrible car?
PDD is right, most people dont keep their cars more than about 5 years, regardless of manufacturer.

i also have to ask OP, why do you think the kia is a horrible car? a friend of mine has a soul, and it is a neat little vehicle to drive daily. it is roomy for its size, and has been quite reliable over the years, as well as economical.

Old 09-11-2016, 09:59 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,957,002 times
It's more about model than brand. Find a car that hasn't been reworked in the last 5 years still selling as new, like the Nissan Frontier, various Toyotas and Hondas, and you'll have a reliable car that has most of the kinks worked out.

For example, the Frontier between 05 and 08 had an expensive problem where the radiator would crack causing coolant to mix into the transmission causing its eventual failure, the issue was resolved and the vehicle is much more reliable in years subsequent.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:14 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,914,217 times
Wow! My dad was a loyal Ford rear wheel drive afficianado (Crown Vic, LTD, Town Car, Gran Marquis) over the years until they stopped making the cars he liked.

He rode in friends Kia Soul (of all things) and loved it! He then went out shopping and bought a loaded up Kia Optima. Put 120K on it before he passed away. That car still turns heads and runs like a champ.

They're too small for me (I would say that I'm a linebacker sized person, but then I saw that the term is a euphemism for being "fat", rather than big. So I'm big. ;-) ), but I wouldn't mind if my DW requested us to buy one.

Old 09-11-2016, 11:13 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
I used to have a stripped down, no frills 98 Kia Sephia. I liked that little car but sold it in 2005 (or thereabouts) when it was just shy of about 100,000 miles. Imagine my surprise when it pulled up alongside me at a stoplight two days ago. Seems to be going strong (though the paint looks horrible :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive