U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 12:43 PM

14,104 posts, read 16,935,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
There are some "low energy bluetooth" iOS compatible obd dongles out now too. I run the LELink one with the OBDFusion app on my iphone to get a boost gauge and other real time info. Being able to use the bluetooth connection keeps you from losing data like you do with the wifi versions. So I can run this and Pandora/Waze at the same time.
https://www.amazon.com/LELink-Blueto.../dp/B00QJRYMFC

Thanks. I'll have to try that one out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 04:05 PM

4,634 posts, read 9,723,628 times
Good info and links, BostonMike and notnamed...
I appreciate them.
GL, mD

Old 09-12-2016, 04:50 PM

5,443 posts, read 6,284,718 times
I've got to ask, 'why'? How often do you need to scan your car? If you do need it scanned, autozone et al will do it for free and once you have the code, google is your best friend. I see no reason to spend 100+ dollars for a tool you might only use a few times of owning it. If you REALLY have to have some sort of scan tool, go the iPhone/android app route as a few other people have suggested.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I've got to ask, 'why'? How often do you need to scan your car? If you do need it scanned, autozone et al will do it for free and once you have the code, google is your best friend. I see no reason to spend 100+ dollars for a tool you might only use a few times of owning it. If you REALLY have to have some sort of scan tool, go the iPhone/android app route as a few other people have suggested.
If all you need is the code read, you don't need a $100 scanner. A cheap $20 reader will do. Really comes down to money vs time/convienence sort of thing at that point

OxGord Code Reader Scan Tool CAN wired OBDII MS300

The $100+ scanners are more for people who need live data reads. If you don't know what the terms "long term fuel trim", "short term fuel trim" and how to read O2 sensor voltages, or check Monitors to verify state OBD2 check status, then you really don't need all that extra capability.

However, it is a valuable tool if you know how to use it. Diagnosing and repairing just one thing may cover the $100 costs alone.

But like said before, you can get all that capability and more out of a much cheaper dongle and phone app these days. But, if you don't know how to use it, then no point really.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:54 PM

5,443 posts, read 6,284,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

But like said before, you can get all that capability and more out of a much cheaper dongle and phone app these days. But, if you don't know how to use it, then no point really.
I really think this is what is comes down to. For the everyday home mechanic, I highly doubt they need anything more than this (if they need it at all). For mechanics who work on cars for a living, it is a great tool.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:03 AM

33,411 posts, read 32,266,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
If all you need is the code read, you don't need a $100 scanner. A cheap $20 reader will do. Really comes down to money vs time/convienence sort of thing at that point

OxGord Code Reader Scan Tool CAN wired OBDII MS300

The $100+ scanners are more for people who need live data reads. If you don't know what the terms "long term fuel trim", "short term fuel trim" and how to read O2 sensor voltages, or check Monitors to verify state OBD2 check status, then you really don't need all that extra capability.

However, it is a valuable tool if you know how to use it. Diagnosing and repairing just one thing may cover the $100 costs alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I really think this is what is comes down to. For the everyday home mechanic, I highly doubt they need anything more than this (if they need it at all). For mechanics who work on cars for a living, it is a great tool.
very both of you. the scanners, even those that use your cellphones, are neat tools to have if you really need them. but ask yourse;f the question, "do you really need this tool?" are you really going to use it enough to make it worth the money you spend on it? i bought two code scanners, and right now both of them are collecting dust rather than ecm codes. granted at the time i thought i might have a use for them, but now, not so much.

Old 09-14-2016, 05:00 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,130,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
I've seen ODB'S for as low as 33 dollars and as high as 140....I thought they all did the same thing. Is there a difference in the quality? The lower priced ones don't read all the codes or something?
A serious professional scanner can cost a few thousand $$$. It will do far more than read generic engine codes.

Don in Austin

Old 09-14-2016, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
but ask yourse;f the question, "do you really need this tool?" are you really going to use it enough to make it worth the money you spend on it?

Myself? Personally? Easy Yes. I've saved thousands as I've always been a gearhead and DIY my own repairs/maintenance.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
A serious professional scanner can cost a few thousand $$$. It will do far more than read generic engine codes.

Don in Austin

Unfortunately, good ole Chinese ingenuity (ie ripping off other people's tech) is bringing those costs down to levels where the average consumer can now get their hands on it.

For example

US$150.00 - Nissan Consult 3 III Professional Diagnostic Tool

The authentic version is $2500+.

You can buy the knock-off for $150, grab an image of the software and install on your laptop, and now can do anything the dealer can.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:46 AM

14,240 posts, read 8,885,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
very both of you. the scanners, even those that use your cellphones, are neat tools to have if you really need them. but ask yourse;f the question, "do you really need this tool?" are you really going to use it enough to make it worth the money you spend on it? i bought two code scanners, and right now both of them are collecting dust rather than ecm codes. granted at the time i thought i might have a use for them, but now, not so much.
I use mine daily largely as a boost gauge rather than install a physical one. Also monitor temperatures, fuel pressure, calculated hp/torque, and a host of other possibilities. A lot of information that has now been reduced to dummy lights in most cars today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive