Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 06:45 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,832,546 times

Advertisements

There's nothing wrong with buying used, but as others have said be smart about it. Sometimes it doesn't make sense, especially with the finance incentives and such on new/leftovers this time of year. But, there are good deals to be had if you look hard enough. I just bought a '14 Toyota Avalon XLE Premium for $23K with only 4K miles on it. Same car, brand new 2016 model would be $38-$40K. I think I did pretty good. One of my goals was a lower payment because we have just my salary until my wife finishes school and can get back to work. We're not struggling by any means, but I am just trying to be smart. Dealer was pushing me to buy new once they ran my credit, but I wouldn't bite.

There are some really excellent deals out there if you look long/hard enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 07:33 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,743,087 times
If I really wanted a unique car I'd buy a low mileage Lexus SC430 convertible. V8, faultless reliability, under $15k for an example that will run forever. Lots of other unique cars out there as well.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:37 AM

15,804 posts, read 20,545,286 times
Forget the 3.7L Mustang, and spend the extra $1K and get the 2.3L Ecoboost Mustang. A little more unique, and can be modded to be faster.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:20 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,192,845 times
I would go with the Honda accord.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:18 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,426,227 times
Either buy brand new if their offering incentives that actually make it worth it (which if you look their usually not) or buy at the 3+ yr old mark. A certified pre-owned will still come with a factory warranty and cost significantly less with all the inflated "value" removed. New cars loose more value in the first 3-4 yrs than you've paid off, so if you can do math..... new is mathematically not a good deal. There are exceptions sometimes so look close.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:34 PM

6 posts, read 10,737 times
is either buy a less powerful new car

or buy a more exciting used car with higher miles

I'm a young guy, so the idea of driving a camry or any 4 banger sedan, after having driven one for years, it doesn't appeal me that much. Yeah, the car has improved but 180hp, which most these 4 bangers linger around, just doesn't cut it these days. I will always feel like I should have gotten something more powerful or sportier. It is only 30hp more than my current old car, that's nothing.

Obviously, more power and sportiness, translates to more money, unfortunatly.

Common sense, tells me that the v6 mustang is the best option, it is the one that offers the most bang/power for you buck.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:58 AM

597 posts, read 668,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda6 View Post
These are the vehicles that I'm considering. For one, I have never owned a coupe, so it would be nice, but also, there are some sedan that look really good. I'm including the cars between 25 and 45k miles.

Ideally, I'd rather have the genesis coupe, but with low miles and v6 is not in my reach yet. I could pay cash for a 60-70k miles 2015 camry SE right now, but it is just too boring. Everywhere I go I see one.

2014 Mazda 6 iTouring
around $16-17k 19 inch wheel
184hp
leatheret interior
traditional automatic transmission
sporty looking sedan
fuel economy
front wheel drive
more unique

2013 Honda Accord EXL coupe
around $17-18k
185hp
17 inch wheels
leather interior
CVT transmission
coupe
front wheel drive

2013 Ford Mustang v6 premium
around $17-18k
305hp
leather seats
simple radio
17 or 18 inch wheels
traditional auto
read wheel drive
everyone has one

2013 Genesis Coupe base
around 18-20k
274 or 348hp
cloth seats
18-19 inch wheels
traditional auto
rear wheel drive
unique

2015 Toyota Camry SE
boring
everyone has one
around 16-17k
leather mixed seats
178hp
CVT
probably the safest and cheapest option if you go with higher miles to bring price down
The Camry doesn't have a CVT. It has a very smooth (almost too smooth, i.e., boring) 6-speed. I just got a 2017. Nice quality, nice looking interior, ostensibly reliable. But, no, not exciting.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:11 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,338,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda6 View Post
is either buy a less powerful new car

or buy a more exciting used car with higher miles

I'm a young guy, so the idea of driving a camry or any 4 banger sedan, after having driven one for years, it doesn't appeal me that much. Yeah, the car has improved but 180hp, which most these 4 bangers linger around, just doesn't cut it these days. I will always feel like I should have gotten something more powerful or sportier. It is only 30hp more than my current old car, that's nothing.

Obviously, more power and sportiness, translates to more money, unfortunatly.

Common sense, tells me that the v6 mustang is the best option, it is the one that offers the most bang/power for you buck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rn7AfTfAOg
also lots of the suspension, big Brake, Appearance and chassis mods that work on the GT bolt right on the V6

Old 09-14-2016, 08:16 AM

1,062 posts, read 982,884 times
I would look at new cars. They are a few thousand more but you can often get better interest rates, rebates, etc.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:10 PM

6 posts, read 10,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goillini8 View Post
The Camry doesn't have a CVT. It has a very smooth (almost too smooth, i.e., boring) 6-speed. I just got a 2017. Nice quality, nice looking interior, ostensibly reliable. But, no, not exciting.
It is definitely better than what I have now. The center console looks kinda outdated, it doesn't look that much different from the previous model. Also, there are like 2 camries in my apartment complex, both SE versions. Everywhere I go I see one. It is the perfect car if you don't want to be noticed AT ALL. lol

I rarely see a Mazda 6, especially the Itouring and Grand Touring version, which come with 19 inch wheels. Out of all sedans, the one I like the most and that also comes with regular 6 speed, is the mazda 6.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive