Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever flipped off another motorist?
Yes 136 79.53%
No 35 20.47%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 01:25 PM

4,842 posts, read 3,611,884 times

Advertisements

I have done that many times, not too ladylike, but it makes me feel better.

Mainly when someone cuts me off or honks for not moving fast enough for them.

So far I've not been shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 02:00 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,793,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Like, today? Not so far.
This. I'm not stingy with the middle finger. If someone ticks me off, they're likely to get it. I'm sure one day it'll bite me in the buttocks, but I guess I'll deal with that when it happens.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:09 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,644,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
sure, back when I was naive to think my time and skills superceded ...you know..."those" other drivers.

I do not flick off ppl or honk horns. I do my best to be alert, attentive and civil. No saint in overall driving ...just not into gesturing ....unless its to say...please pull ahead or thank you!

I need to go to my doctors next week...and find out if there is a pill to take ...because I am terribly allergic to aggressive and volatile drivers...
This is me, pretty much. Bad drivers used to infuriate me. Now I just let it go. My getting angry isn't going to change anything they do.

Not to mention, I'm sure there are times I annoy other drivers on the road. I just do my best to pay attention to be courteous, but I'm not perfect.

When we lived in D.C. -- where I dealt with the worst traffic and the highest amount of rude, aggressive drivers I've ever encountered -- my wife and I coped by coming up with our own rule: Just assume that all other drivers think the rules don't apply to thim and that they think their time is more valuable than ours. When you just assume all the other drivers around you are inconsiderate, self-absorbed jerks, you're not so annoyed when they actually go and do something stupid. You just expect it.

Horn-honkers still drive me up the wall, though, I admit. I'll turn when I feel it's safe. I'll pull out of the spot when I'm all settled in. Horns are for alerting people, not for expressing your displeasure with other drivers.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:16 PM

33 posts, read 25,421 times
I don't flip off other people but I do get it quite often directed at me. Usually when I rocket pass a slow driver who is causing a massive line of cars behind them because they are going under the speed limit. I don't really honk to make people get out of the way. I just do it. Funnily enough when I'm passing them they will jerk their heads to the direction of my car as if they don't know why I don't want to stay behind someone doing 20 in a 45. Won't do them any good of course because nobody can see who is driving my car as all windows are tinted

Old 09-13-2016, 03:42 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,520,548 times
I've flipped people off, and been flipped off. If you really want to p*ss someone off, when the flip you the bird, wave to them. LOL

Old 09-13-2016, 07:10 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,804,036 times
People don't flip people off too much in Texas. An armed society is a polite society.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:14 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,142,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
People don't flip people off too much in Texas. An armed society is a polite society.
Yes, yes... living in fear of being shot = polite. Yee haw!

Old 09-13-2016, 07:45 PM

4,670 posts, read 5,063,724 times
Yeah...there are three things that set me off.

1) Not using the blinker to change lanes and or when making a turn when there is no turn lane. I can't read minds on your intentions...which is why there is a blinker.
2) Driving under the speed limit when there is no reason to be. I understand driving slowly for weather or construction reasons, but if there is no road construction and the road is dry pick up the pace.
3) Tailgaters, especially when #2 is in play.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:17 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,867,138 times
I have. Don't bother most of the time. Getting that mad at idiots on the road isn't worth my energy anymore.

My sister, who lives out of state now, came back home to NJ a couple months ago. A cop flipped her off when she merged to get on the highway. My sis is a good driver and she says she sped up and merged without getting anywhere near his car or making him slow down. Apparently he took offense at her getting in front of him.

She just said, "Welcome to NJ!" Her fiance from Indianna was mortified and shocked.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:41 PM

4,903 posts, read 4,188,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
The real question is why one driver would flip off another driver.

Did they "brake check" you?

Did they cut you off?

Did they almost sideswipe you because they were texting instead of paying attention to the road?

Occasionally, there are understandable reasons (i.e.- mitigating circumstances).
Add to those running through a very late yellow light which turns red while they are in front of you. Years ago I would be flipping them off and running my mouth. Now with all the nuts out there I sit there with my hands on the wheel and my mouth shut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive