Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 03:49 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times

Advertisements

Cars would come in with 22 or larger and super low profile... rough ride, rubbing and unusual wear patterns all come to mind.

It was good for business... one pothole could easily wipe out an expensive low profile rim... Oakland has plenty of rough roads and 22 and larger were the most popular size.

Bolt pattern adapters were a huge problem... at least the ones that came back and wheel spacers were inherently weaker than OEM.

The local Ford Dealer would routinely deny warranty suspension work on Ford Trucks with tires outside the factory recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 03:55 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
I've NEVER, in 40 years and over 130 cars of my own, had drivability problems with custom wheels. Never. In fact, on the race cars, aftermarket wheels were a noticeable improvement. I've done stock size but aftermarket, +1, +2, and +3 wheels with appropriate tires. Like the BMW I posted with +3 (went from 16s to 19s) and it actually had better handling than stock. No rubbing, even with the car lowered 2" no tramlining, but improved grip and feedback from the lower profile tires. And the ride didn't change from stock.

I hear what you say from a few old guys who at one point put on some huge N50-15 tires on some aftermarket Cragars and decide that because they rubbed and didn't handle well that all aftermarket wheels and tires suck, and that couldn't be further from the truth.

My factory bone stock 1968 Z-28 had the original E78-15 tires on Rally Sport Wheels and when it came time to sell it the buyer flew to California from the East Coast because he wanted an unmolested/unaltered stock car and was pleased right down to the original carburetor, suspension and MO motor...

I really miss that car but needed house down payment money... red with the original white rally stripes.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:14 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times
They are popular enough that there are wheel "rental" shops in my town. I can't believe that and can not understand how that works financially, but anyway; IMO it is a very stupid idea that has stupid kids and foolish adults lining up to rent them.

Old 09-17-2016, 12:33 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,049,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I think they've gotten less flashy and more subtle in recent years and therefore harder to notice unless you're walking carefully up and down the rows of a parking lot.

The really flashy ones that were the realm of the 'rent-a-rim' shops seem to have largely gone down with assorted economic downturns.
I agree.

Old 09-17-2016, 06:38 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
I purchased OEM standard steel wheels with hub caps for my vehicle.
Took off the optional factory fancy rims.

I think that the fancy rims look stupid and a waste of money.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:27 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
My factory bone stock 1968 Z-28 had the original E78-15 tires on Rally Sport Wheels and when it came time to sell it the buyer flew to California from the East Coast because he wanted an unmolested/unaltered stock car and was pleased right down to the original carburetor, suspension and MO motor...

I really miss that car but needed house down payment money... red with the original white rally stripes.
IIRC, the '69s had Rally Wheels with 15" 70 series tires...the Rally Wheels looked liked they belonged and few people replaced them back in the day...I didn't...but used slicks at the track (err...strip).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive