Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 10:25 AM

55 posts, read 48,118 times

Advertisements

Before I get to the meat let me first give a shout-out to all the crazies driving the streets and highways of Albuquerque. Rush hour traffic can bring out the best and worse in people. Problem is, ABQ doesn't really have traffic. They say they do but ......... Nah!! I just moved here from KC and ABQ drivers are the most irresponsible, rude and dangerous I have ever encountered. 'Nuf said!!

Common sense approach to turn signals- we've all followed the idiot that suddenly hits the brakes for no apparent reason only to start turning. Halfway around the corner the signal comes on. I guess they want you to know what they just did, as if I didn't notice I'm about to rear-end you. I don't give a rat's arse what you do but I sure would like to know ahead of time that you're slowing down to do something. You need to signal well in advance of hitting your brakes.

Accelerator- for those of you who don't know what that is, it's the skinny pedal on the right. One of the best tools for safe, defensive driving is the ability and willingness to speed up for merging, lane changes and getting out of the way of morons. When merging, it's your responsibility to pick your spot and accelerate into it. Same thing goes for lane changes. The proper term for that stretch of road (typically called an on-ramp) is an "acceleration ramp". This is where the smart people get up to highway speed, pick their spot and signal that they are merging into traffic. Most people will yield to your intentions by speeding up a bit or letting off on the gas if you are making an effort to safely come over. I will not hit my brakes in traffic to allow your 45mph creeping butt to merge when the ramp runs out.

Although common sense applies to virtually everything I'll end the rant with this. Driving is a responsibility, not a privilege. You're a danger to those around you if you are not aware of your surroundings and cognizant of the potential impact your actions and habits carry. If you are not comfortable going the prevailing speed of the lane you're in, either move to right or get the hell off the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 10:35 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,623,242 times
Any Bugs Bunny signs in your area about a wrong turn?

Common sense isn't so common anymore. See the same thing here in south Louisiana. We don't have traffic jams like some major cities, but we do have our annoyances like near public or private schools where hundreds or thousands of parents in large vehicles all want to pick up their little angel at the same time instead of them riding the school bus.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:37 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,309,150 times
If I got a nickel for every time I read a thread similar to this one, I would be swimming in gold and retired.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:37 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,234,112 times
Yawn. There are terrible drives in every city, every one thinks their city has the worst drivers. "Any one who drives faster then me is a maniac, any one who drives slower is a moron" Right?

Old 09-16-2016, 11:11 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickaida View Post
Before I get to the meat let me first give a shout-out to all the crazies driving the streets and highways of Albuquerque. Rush hour traffic can bring out the best and worse in people. Problem is, ABQ doesn't really have traffic. They say they do but ......... Nah!! I just moved here from KC and ABQ drivers are the most irresponsible, rude and dangerous I have ever encountered. 'Nuf said!!

Common sense approach to turn signals- we've all followed the idiot that suddenly hits the brakes for no apparent reason only to start turning. Halfway around the corner the signal comes on. I guess they want you to know what they just did, as if I didn't notice I'm about to rear-end you. I don't give a rat's arse what you do but I sure would like to know ahead of time that you're slowing down to do something. You need to signal well in advance of hitting your brakes.

Accelerator- for those of you who don't know what that is, it's the skinny pedal on the right. One of the best tools for safe, defensive driving is the ability and willingness to speed up for merging, lane changes and getting out of the way of morons. When merging, it's your responsibility to pick your spot and accelerate into it. Same thing goes for lane changes. The proper term for that stretch of road (typically called an on-ramp) is an "acceleration ramp". This is where the smart people get up to highway speed, pick their spot and signal that they are merging into traffic. Most people will yield to your intentions by speeding up a bit or letting off on the gas if you are making an effort to safely come over. I will not hit my brakes in traffic to allow your 45mph creeping butt to merge when the ramp runs out.

Although common sense applies to virtually everything I'll end the rant with this. Driving is a responsibility, not a privilege. You're a danger to those around you if you are not aware of your surroundings and cognizant of the potential impact your actions and habits carry. If you are not comfortable going the prevailing speed of the lane you're in, either move to right or get the hell off the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Yawn. There are terrible drives in every city, every one thinks their city has the worst drivers. "Any one who drives faster then me is a maniac, any one who drives slower is a moron" Right?
i have been in a number of large cities around the country, including los angeles, st louis, chicago, pittsburg, philadelphia, washington dc, among others, and i can tell you that without a doubt, the very worst drivers in the country are in albuquerque new mexico(aka albaturkey).

in most cities, when a freeway narrows from three lanes to two, traffic slows about 5-10mph while everyone jockeys for position and everyone merges properly. in albuqureque, traffic slow TO 5-10mph while everyone jockeys for position and merges, sometimes with each other. the bad thing is that when freeways widen out to three lanes, everywhere else everyone maintains speed, in albuquerque once again everyone slows TO 5-10mph so they can figure out what is going on.

new mexico also observes an interesting form of population control. in most states, alcohol is sold in stores on sunday, and you can take it home and drink all you want. in new mexico, you cannot buy alcohol in stores on sunday, but you CAN buy all you want in a bar and drink it there, and THEN drive home. there are even places that sell beer for .25 cents per serving all day sunday. go figure.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:02 PM

2,776 posts, read 1,840,483 times
Quote:
I envy a driver who drives faster then me.
I really don't care if someone drives much slower than me... in other lane.

Old 09-17-2016, 07:16 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,571,809 times
A lot of it is just pure idiocy.

I was driving today on a particular roadway, a single-lane in each direction and a center-lane. I was driving at or near the speed limit....a car going in my same direction passes me using the
center-lane, and continues to drive 30 to 40 mph in center-lane, for nearly 3 blocks......this is so dangerous. So of course this Douche is caught at the stop-light and I catch-up to him.......I look over and his head is down and he is typing with both hands on his electronic-gadget........SMFH.

Old 09-17-2016, 08:42 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,104 times
Quote:

Some people have evidence to support their contention that their drivers are the worst.

Report gives Seattle drivers worst marks yet; Bellevue isn’t far behind | The Seattle Times

Having driven in Seattle (#184/200) and Boise (#3) it's clear Seattle drivers suck and justly deserve their ranking as among the worst drivers in the country. Boston must be epicly bad, I feel sorry for the few competent drivers there.

Old 09-18-2016, 07:08 PM

15,424 posts, read 25,792,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Some people have evidence to support their contention that their drivers are the worst.

Report gives Seattle drivers worst marks yet; Bellevue isn’t far behind | The Seattle Times

Having driven in Seattle (#184/200) and Boise (#3) it's clear Seattle drivers suck and justly deserve their ranking as among the worst drivers in the country. Boston must be epicly bad, I feel sorry for the few competent drivers there.

I was going to say we don't just think DC area drivers are bad. We know they are. However, I'm only too happy to let Boston have the crown for worst drivers.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:55 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,377,992 times
Everybody reading this thread has made a major dumb move while driving. If you have never made a dumb move you have little driving experience.

I'm not going to tell you about mine and I am not interested in reading about yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive