Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 11:25 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,601,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
Interesting. My brother in law put a set of Futuras on his car to replace the O.E.M Michelins that it came with. The Michelins were gone at 30K. I believe the Futuras have now gone nearly 10K miles more than the Michelins.
I had a 89 Baretta GTU that came with (at the time) an odd sized tire. 205-55-16.

The original tires were Goodyear Gatorbacks that wore out inside of 30 thousand miles.

I went a year or 2 with flea markets tires from a guy I knew who sold them 2 for 25, but you could only get 8 monts or so out of em.

Futura finally started making that size and I ran them from 60K to when I finally got rid of the car (120K) and they still had some tread on em.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 04:13 PM

17,210 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Look at the Sumitomo HT 200 from Tire Rack. You can have them shipped to a local shop that will mount and balance. This is a relatively inexpensive tire with good to excellent performance. They are not for snow, otherwise very good performing tire that costs about $40 each in 175-70-13 size. Thinking you are in CA they may be a good deal for you.

Cheapest way to replace just one tire would be from a used tire dealer

Old 02-26-2008, 12:22 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,864,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
Interesting. My brother in law put a set of Futuras on his car to replace the O.E.M Michelins that it came with. The Michelins were gone at 30K. I believe the Futuras have now gone nearly 10K miles more than the Michelins.
There's a hell of alot more to tires than simply lifespan. for instance one tire might have a significantly longer life expectancy than another, but that could be due to a hard compound that returns you lets say less than ideal operating characteristics.

original poster, tires are the only part of the car that touch the ground; thus not the best place to compromise. Lots of accidents are probably avoidable with better tires (especially thinking of wintertime, don't know where you live). perhaps most importantly, something most people never think about is the fact that tires are an essential part of your braking performance.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:36 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,790,983 times
Craigs list......find somebody that is selling their stock wheels/tires really cheap because they bought fancy wheels and tires.

With so many people dumping SUVs, they're also selling the extra wheels and tires in their garage

Old 07-04-2008, 11:11 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
For 90% of people who drive their car to work and home again, they're fine.

I've had exactly one problem with a Futura tire, my father pinched the sidewall against a parking block. I went back to Pep Boys, shrugged and acted like I didn't know what happened and got a free replacement.

Cooper has obviously entered into a deal with Pep Boys to make a tire solely for sale at their stores. This is part of the reason why the prices are lower than the competition, since Pep Boys buys these tires in greater bulk. The other reason the tires are cheaper is because Futura Tires do not have any significant advertising budget. We have all seen ads for Firestone, BF Goodrich, Goodyear, Michelin, and other popular manufacturers, but Cooper doesn’t actively advertise Futura. This helps to keep the prices of the tires low.

If you compare them to the comprable Cooper tire, they are the same damn thing.
How does just driving to work and back home make tham "fine"? Does just going to work and back home mean you don't need a safe and dependable tire? Never understood that way of thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive