Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 02:44 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,267,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
If you're just buying an average car, does it really matter if the tires are alloy or steel?
That's one harsh ride.

Truthfully alloy vs steel wheels goes to unsprung what on a vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 03:00 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,061,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
Advantages of steel wheels = Cheaper + stronger. Disavantages = as long as you're ok with (the usual need for) hub caps, none really.
Cheap steel wheels are not stronger alloys.

Quote:
I've heard that steel handle better for snow and ice---which I do deal with--because they are heavier.
A lot of people have a separate set of steel wheels with winter tires mounted on them because they're cheap and it's not a big deal if they get scratched up. There really isn't going to be an handling or performance advantage in the snow.

Old 09-19-2016, 01:37 PM

9,612 posts, read 21,161,219 times
Steel is an alloy, so I don't see a question here.

Old 09-19-2016, 01:47 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,659,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Steel is an alloy, so I don't see a question here.
picky picky.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:10 AM

98 posts, read 135,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regajohn View Post
I prefer my tires to be made out of rubber and other components, and filled with air. I'm thinking steel or aluminum would ride a little bit hard !!!
I was at Walmart and asked about getting a steel wheel for a spare, and the employee pointed to the tires. I said I couldn't see any wheels, only tires, but he said wheels were tires and that I wanted a rim. This is the company whose website lists the wood content of car tires ("Composite Wood: 0").

Old 09-20-2016, 01:37 AM

4,857 posts, read 5,777,393 times
Quote:
If you're just buying an average car, does it really matter if the tires are alloy or steel?
Well when it comes to my work train, steel all the way. But the TVG I daily drive and the Bullet train I race on track days, both use alloys, for performance.

Old 09-20-2016, 03:24 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,449,152 times
Quote:
Haha, yeah, wheels and not tires. I'm getting the upsell for alloy over steel. I don't have a performance car and have no idea why I'd prefer alloy. He's giving me the drill about them being lighter and something about brakes. Not sure about that.

Personally, I've heard that steel handle better for snow and ice---which I do deal with--because they are heavier.

Anyway, just thought I was missing something.
The primary benefit of alloy over steel wheels is cosmetic. Steel wheels with wheel covers don't usually look as good (most are just plain, not ugly), but I wouldn't pay a lot of money for alloy wheels. Steel wheels will be more resistant to things like pothole damage and they are MUCH cheaper to replace if you do damage one. Most cars other than entry-level subcompacts and compacts have alloy wheels standard. The scary thing is that they cost anywhere from $400-$800 per wheel to replace, give or take $50. For instance, the 20" wheels on my Mazda CX-9 retail for $792 each!

Old 04-29-2018, 08:48 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,476,495 times
I tried to change tires before I junk a truck. The alloy wheels welded to the lugs. I hit them with a deadblow, but I can't get them off without a torch. If I had a flat I would have been screwed. Then I decided I'd rather have the steel rims in the spares.

Old 04-29-2018, 10:11 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,322,148 times
Funny I’ve always called them rims wheels were the tire and rim together.

Old 04-29-2018, 12:35 PM

9,250 posts, read 11,006,117 times
Quote:
Haha, yeah, wheels and not tires. I'm getting the upsell for alloy over steel. I don't have a performance car and have no idea why I'd prefer alloy. He's giving me the drill about them being lighter and something about brakes. Not sure about that.

Personally, I've heard that steel handle better for snow and ice---which I do deal with--because they are heavier.

Anyway, just thought I was missing something.
A few pounds one way or the other will make NO DIFFERENCE in snow and ice. The winter tire you have mounted to that wheel WILL make a difference.

He's a salesman. Anything he can say to induce you to spend more money is his mission. As noted above, steel and aluminum or alloy both have their plusses and minuses.

I ran into an Acura salesman at a car show after I'd moved on from his brand. He had called EVERY DAY and left a message and I never returned his messages. That is about the last thing you want to do if you want me to consider your product...call incessantly and act like a car salesman.

I told him in person that he'd had a pretty good chance of a sale/lease but his daily calls put the kabosh on it.
He said, "But I'm a salesman."
I said, "Calling every day made you a no-salesman."
"But I'm a salesman."

When you're that dumb, you don't deserve my bidness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive