Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 02:09 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,488,144 times

Advertisements

Never had a significant problem switching from right-hand drive (Australia) to left-hand drive (US, Canada), but have only ever driven an auto transmission vehicle. It becomes second nature after a few minutes' driving. Sometimes, coming out of a parking lot if there's no traffic around, I have to think twice to make sure I turn into the correct side of the road, but usually there's at least a bit of traffic.

Not many roundabouts (rotaries) in the US but I did find them a bit confusing. Since Australia, England etc. has many more roundabouts I imagine they'd be difficult for people used to driving on the other side of the road!

I think perhaps the 'fear' of it is greater than the reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 02:25 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
I found it easier moving to LHD than switching to driving an Automatic.

No the closest pedal to your left foot isn't a clutch, but treating it as such causes some interesting effects especially when you're used to speed shifting or powershifting.

The location of the seat lends itself to the switch in side (small internal space to the center).

That said it took me a little time to properly synch right hand gear changes with left foot clutch.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:30 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
I have seen those that adjust quickly but I have a tough time. I walk to the wrong side of the car, reach to shift the window crank, screw up turns, and don't anticipate what other drivers are going to do. And of course in many countries traffic laws are just a suggestion so horn and yield protocol is different.

I let others drive if possible.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:55 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,977 times
It is a very harrowing experience to rent a car in London and head out of the city if you have driven all your life in the US and Canada, and you don't know where you are going in London, etc.. The worst part though for me was small lanes and roundabouts (and there seem to be a million of those) - especially while trying to read a map or otherwise remember what the next direction you need to be going is. Had that fun experience .. once. I think I scared a lot of people (not to mention myself). You do get the hang of it but I think the next time I rent a car in Britain I will take a train to some smaller place and just rent to go slowly around town till I get my 'sea legs' back again.

Europe though .. refreshing to be able to drive (what seem to me to be) normally there.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:21 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
having had years of driving a RHD car (Morgan +4 or +8, or a 1950's Jag or Riley sedan) here in the USA, when we traveled to England the layout of the car was old hat at that point. So driving on the left was an easy transition for me. But if I hadn't had the experience of the controls and seating/view of the car from the driver's perspective, it might have been more difficult to make the transition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive