U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 08:49 PM

320 posts, read 305,063 times

Advertisements

I drive a 2005 Ford F-150 5.4L Lariat and for some time now it has had a jerking/shutter problem when accelerating at various speeds and RPM's. I saw a video that someone finally made with what seems to be the same exact symptoms mine is showing. So I'm going to try replacing the coils and plugs.

My question is: Should I replace ALL of them (coils and plugs) at the same time?

And if anyone else has an F-150 that they've changed the plugs with a certain plug they are happy with, please share. Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 09:05 PM

14,686 posts, read 20,901,346 times
Shouldn't you rather have it properly diagnosed instead of guessworking on "similar" youtube fixes?
It can be plugs, it can be EGR, it can be trnasmission, it can be fuel pump, it can be fuel filter, should I keep going?

Old 09-23-2016, 09:32 PM

5,721 posts, read 16,099,324 times
The 5.4 3v engine in your truck has 3 piece spark plugs. Are you sure you have the skills to pull them? They are notorious for breaking off in the head and a special Lyle Tool required to remove the pieces. The more successful plug changes come after a double dose of Techron in half a tank of gas to unload the combustion deposits off of the shanks of the plugs. You need a special lubricant that's applied after the plugs are broken loose but not removed and then you have to let it sit while the lube works its magic. Occasionally the heads must be replaced if the plugs have welded themselves to the heads. The cab must come off to swap the heads. It CAN be a major expense to change the plugs in one of these. Ford changed the head design and plugs with the November 2008 F150 5.4 because of the troubles with the plugs. The COPs are another issue. Use only Motorcraft or Visteon. Visteon makes some of the Ford COPs. Using a brand like Accell, MSD, only buys you more problems. I would strongly suggest taking the truck in to a Ford dealership and have them change the plugs only once they've ran the codes, if any at all. You can change the COPs but make sure you understand what and why you will use dielectric grease or have the dealer do it. Failure to do it right means the engine won't run right. In my personal opinion, the 5.4 3v engine is one of the worst to ever sit in any truck. Thankfully, this POS is gone.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Shouldn't you rather have it properly diagnosed instead of guessworking on "similar" youtube fixes?
It can be plugs, it can be EGR, it can be trnasmission, it can be fuel pump, it can be fuel filter, should I keep going?
You mean by a certified mechanic?? LOL. I prefer to do the work myself if you can understand that. If it does not fix the issue, then at least I took care of the coils and plugs and can cross that off the list. Isn't that how we learn?

My question is: Should I replace ALL of them (coils and plugs) at the same time?

And if anyone else has an F-150 that they've changed the plugs with a certain plug they are happy with, please share. Thank you!

Old 09-23-2016, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
The 5.4 3v engine in your truck has 3 piece spark plugs. Are you sure you have the skills to pull them? They are notorious for breaking off in the head and a special Lyle Tool required to remove the pieces. The more successful plug changes come after a double dose of Techron in half a tank of gas to unload the combustion deposits off of the shanks of the plugs. You need a special lubricant that's applied after the plugs are broken loose but not removed and then you have to let it sit while the lube works its magic. Occasionally the heads must be replaced if the plugs have welded themselves to the heads. The cab must come off to swap the heads. It CAN be a major expense to change the plugs in one of these. Ford changed the head design and plugs with the November 2008 F150 5.4 because of the troubles with the plugs. The COPs are another issue. Use only Motorcraft or Visteon. Visteon makes some of the Ford COPs. Using a brand like Accell, MSD, only buys you more problems. I would strongly suggest taking the truck in to a Ford dealership and have them change the plugs only once they've ran the codes, if any at all. You can change the COPs but make sure you understand what and why you will use dielectric grease or have the dealer do it. Failure to do it right means the engine won't run right. In my personal opinion, the 5.4 3v engine is one of the worst to ever sit in any truck. Thankfully, this POS is gone.

Can't argue there. Thanks for the recon advice. I will take it into account.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:22 PM

505 posts, read 625,651 times
South Main Auto on YouTube has a great video on changing those 5.4 plugs. Seems like a real PITA since those plugs love to break apart.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:53 AM

125 posts, read 146,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway365 View Post
I drive a 2005 Ford F-150 5.4L Lariat and for some time now it has had a jerking/shutter problem when accelerating at various speeds and RPM's. I saw a video that someone finally made with what seems to be the same exact symptoms mine is showing. So I'm going to try replacing the coils and plugs.

Do you have a check engine light for a misfire? If it's a single cylinder misfire, no. Swap coil packs with the adjacent cylinder and see if the same cylinder keeps setting off the misfire. If it's a random, all cylinder misfire, you can, but you might end up with no results and no difference other than a lighter wallet.

Edit: I always think of more right after hitting the reply/post button. While you are at it, check the plugs for excess wear.

Old 09-24-2016, 04:57 PM

27,544 posts, read 35,698,037 times
Usually with coil on plug, it is often just a replacement of the bad plugs and cool packs. Not the thing. Some guys will do all the plugs, which doesn't hurt anything.

Old 09-24-2016, 07:43 PM

33,415 posts, read 30,722,820 times
OP, before you invest in plugs and coils, get yourself down to a good auto parts store, and have them at least pull code from the ECM. if there is an issue with the plugs or coils you will find that out. you can also rule out those issues as well. these days just throwing money at a problem is not how you diagnose a problem.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:25 PM

5,642 posts, read 5,226,937 times
Typically a failing coil is the #1 culprit behind this issue. I have owned 5.4L Fords for over ten years and have had to change plenty of them because of the same issue the OP is describing.

OP, from past experience I tend to change all 8 coils when I change 1. Sure.... you may get lucky but I've had instances where multiple coils failed within a week of each other. For me it's good peace of mind to go ahead and swap them all and save the good coils in case of an emergency.

As for the plugs....... use some caution when changing those. They are prone to breakage. I typically let the Ford dealer swap the plugs themselves.

I can't agree that the 5.4L is a bad engine.... sure it has a few flaws but overall every 5.4L I have ever owned has been more than reliable and dependable. They don't fare well if you skimp on maintenance but if properly maintained will last a really long time. My neighbor has an 04 F150 with well over 260k miles on the stock engine and it is as quiet as my wife's 2014 Expedition with 60k miles (Expy also has the 5.4L).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive