Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 10:31 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
FYI - when I purchased my German car, I was advised that my warranty could be voided if I did not use the recommended octane gasoline. Voiding the warranty could be very costly.

Also, I was told the gas mileage is better when using the appropriate octane level because the engine runs more efficiently.
Then you have a high compression engine, or a dealer who is lying to you. Some German cars are high compression, some are not. The country it is from does not determine the compression ratio. If your owner's manual says use high octane gasoline, or if it is written on the inside of your gas filler cover, then you have a high compression engine. You can also find compression ratios online.

If it is not in the manual, the dealer was probably lying to you. I am not sure why some of them do that, but some do. Even if it is in the manual, it is hard to believe he is not lying to you. Most new high compression engines can adjust to run on any commonly available octane. It may be you bought a super cheap low end German car with high compression and no ability to adjust, but what low end cars have high compression engines?

So what he said does not make any sense. When car salesmen talk, they are usually lying, but when they say things that do not make sense, they are pretty much always lying.

With older high compression cars that was true, but if you were buying a car that old, there would be no warranty. Unless you are discussing a German car you bought a long time ago. That would make sense. It is also possible there are still some high compression German cars that are not low end but do not have a computer that can adjust for octane. That would be weird, because the Germans usually want to keep up with their competitors, but it is possible.

I had one guy try to convince me a 4 cylinder car was actually a 6. When I pointed out only 4 spark pugs/wires, he claimed 2 additional wires ran on the inside of the engine, where you cannot see them. Why? I have no idea. I asked him if it was a 4 or 6, he said 6, when we opened the hood, I guess he just did not want to be wrong. Why would he make that up? Not sure, but it is likely the same reason some dealers tell people wrongly to use high octane gas. Just look it up and you will know whether you need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 10:36 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
while that is true, regarding the extra detergents in the gasoline, if you dont need premium gas, then use a can of seafoam or some other detergent additive, or fuel system cleaner, twice per year, and you get the same effect and it likely costs a lot less money.
Before you put any of those "magic elixirs" in your fuel tank, you might want to google the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for the stuff.
You just might find that you can go to your local hardware/paint store and buy the materials in gallon cans much cheaper than you can get the super-extra-special additives.

In fact, here is a site for home-brewing additives:
Homebrew Sea Foam (SeaFoam) Motor Treatment Recipe

At the time the article was written, the home-brew cost about $1.36 per pint!

Seafoam ingredients, per the MSDS:
Pale Oil 64742-54-7 40.00 - 60.00 N/Av >15000 mg/kg >5000 mg/kg
Naphtha 64742-49-0 25.00 - 35.00 N/Av >5000 mg/kg N/Av
IPA 67-63-0 10.00 - 20.00 17000ppm 4720mg/kg 12890mg/kg

Please note that there is NO "detergent" in the stuff!

Old 09-26-2016, 02:52 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,123,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Then you have a high compression engine, or a dealer who is lying to you. Some German cars are high compression, some are not. The country it is from does not determine the compression ratio. If your owner's manual says use high octane gasoline, or if it is written on the inside of your gas filler cover, then you have a high compression engine. You can also find compression ratios online.
It's a high performance sports car. I'm relatively certain the car does require premium gasoline.

I think it is probably not common knowledge that not using the recommended gasoline could void your warranty. I know of a couple of people with performance cars that require premium gas insisting it's a waste of money.

Anyway, thanks for the information.

Old 09-26-2016, 03:04 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
It's a high performance sports car. I'm relatively certain the car does require premium gasoline.

I think it is probably not common knowledge that not using the recommended gasoline could void your warranty. I know of a couple of people with performance cars that require premium gas insisting it's a waste of money.

Anyway, thanks for the information.
It must be an old one. Even corvettes can use lower octane fuel with a slight drop in performance, it is right in the manual. The car simply adjusts for the fuel. Only older or possibly very cheap cars cannot adjust for lower octane.

Old 09-26-2016, 03:15 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,734,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
If I didn't know better I would swear my '86 Jeep CJ-7 is able to "read the pumps".

With Shell V-Power Premium the 30 plus year old Straight Six not only starts on the first attempt and never requires restarting but definitely performs better with slightly higher MPG.

The 20 to 30 cents a gallon savings is hardly worth the grief.
I also know plenty of people who have used regular gas and their cars have never had any issues. Bottom line: If your car doesn't call for premium, you are wasting money. Your car won't run any "better"

Also, if you have been using premium for the last 30 years how would you know that premium gives you better mileage if you have nothing else to compare it to? Unless you also pumped regular gas in it on a regular basis in the past I see no way how you can verify your findings.

Old 09-26-2016, 03:52 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,123,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It must be an old one. Even corvettes can use lower octane fuel with a slight drop in performance, it is right in the manual. The car simply adjusts for the fuel. Only older or possibly very cheap cars cannot adjust for lower octane.
It's a new Porsche. I'm pretty sure the manual dictated using premium fuel. I'll have to take a look at it again.

Old 09-26-2016, 03:53 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,674,787 times
One thing that might skew the premium gas sales figures is mistakes. Just the other day, I hit the wrong button and put premium in my car...I didn't notice until it was almost full. I can't be the only idiot that has ever done that.

And storms...a couple of years ago we got walloped with a big one. Power was out for up to a week in spots. The stations that had power ran out of regular quickly...leaving only premium. Most folks opted for the premium rather than start walking...

Old 09-26-2016, 03:53 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
My car says Premium. I put premium 93.
My 4Runner doesn't care, so in goes the 87.

Interesting story. I accidentally put premium in my 4Runner bc I'm used to filling my car with it and for the day, there was a gasoline smell on the outside of the car when I parked it. Near the hood. Not near the gas tank. Then it went away and I've never smelled it again. A buddy theorized it might have had to do with the gasoline switcheroo.

Old 09-26-2016, 05:14 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My car says Premium. I put premium 93.
My 4Runner doesn't care, so in goes the 87.

Interesting story. I accidentally put premium in my 4Runner bc I'm used to filling my car with it and for the day, there was a gasoline smell on the outside of the car when I parked it. Near the hood. Not near the gas tank. Then it went away and I've never smelled it again. A buddy theorized it might have had to do with the gasoline switcheroo.
I doubt that.

Old 09-26-2016, 06:06 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,422,171 times
Makes no difference whether a care "requires" it or not. MANY vehicles do much better MPG wise and using premium SAVES money. Every ford ranger I've owed are a handful of examples. No clue why, but they would insane MPG on premium, technically it should have been the other way around, but never was. I recently just upgraded to a F-150 and pretty soon I gotta see if that's still the case or not. In my Fusion, it gets the same MPG no matter what I feed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive