Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2016, 09:13 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,057,343 times

Advertisements

If I apply for a new license here in KY and they approve it, would it be automatically suspended if the state of IL goes through with the suspension?

Last edited by EddieOlSkool; 09-26-2016 at 09:22 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 09:34 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
If I apply for a new license here in KY and they approve it, would it be automatically suspended if the state of IL goes through with the suspension?

Both states are part of DLC so it will get reported in the database.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:45 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,581 posts, read 81,186,228 times
A former employee of mine went through this. The day after her DUI in 2004 she moved to another state and got a license there.

When she failed to appear in court here, our state suspended her license. She was able to continue driving in the other state and never got pulled over, but when she tried to renew 5 years later, it was caught.

Old 09-26-2016, 04:31 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
Most states run license applicants through the National Driver Register (NDR) to see if they are suspended in another state. If there's a hit, out the door you go.

Even if you do get a license in another state, it's still illegal to drive in a state where your privileges are suspended or revoked.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:16 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
I went through this.

Everyone has a BS story, so I'll skip it. MD had my license suspended at some point while I was a student in AZ. I moved to GA, found that MD had the suspension, called and "cleared up" the issue and was able to get my GA license. A few renewals (and traffic stops, though no tickets) later I tried to get a WY license and found that MD still had a suspension. Since it was my home-town, I asked some LEO friends to run my license which came back clean. I was military at the time (via my wife) so I just renewed my GA license again and then spent $5k on a lawyer to unravel the nightmare knot that MD had tied (some of that was court costs, that was just my total out of pocket).

This occurred 1999~2007

So NO, it may not be automatically suspended.

Just my opinion here, but it's going to be less headache to simply deal with the issue head on. I hated driving around, wondering if/when my GA license wouldn't pass inspection. Massive amount of stress over those 8 years too, I was an idiot to ignore it for so long.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:24 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,057,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I went through this.

Everyone has a BS story, so I'll skip it. MD had my license suspended at some point while I was a student in AZ. I moved to GA, found that MD had the suspension, called and "cleared up" the issue and was able to get my GA license. A few renewals (and traffic stops, though no tickets) later I tried to get a WY license and found that MD still had a suspension. Since it was my home-town, I asked some LEO friends to run my license which came back clean. I was military at the time (via my wife) so I just renewed my GA license again and then spent $5k on a lawyer to unravel the nightmare knot that MD had tied (some of that was court costs, that was just my total out of pocket).

This occurred 1999~2007

So NO, it may not be automatically suspended.

Just my opinion here, but it's going to be less headache to simply deal with the issue head on. I hated driving around, wondering if/when my GA license wouldn't pass inspection. Massive amount of stress over those 8 years too, I was an idiot to ignore it for so long.
Yeah I just signed up for the driver safety class in IL and I am going to take it this weekend. Figure might as well not go through what you did.

Old 09-27-2016, 02:02 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,049,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Yeah I just signed up for the driver safety class in IL and I am going to take it this weekend. Figure might as well not go through what you did.
Smart choice. I had a similar story to Brian M. while in military and it came back to haunt me 15 years later.

Old 09-27-2016, 04:17 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
We used to live in Pennsylvania and moved to Florida in about 1982. Just before we moved I renewed my plates for about $25 and wrote a check for it. When we moved, I thought the check had cleared and closed out my checking account.

Fast forward 30 years and I went in to renew my DL in Florida and they refused because Pa had a bad check charge lodged against me ! I called Pa and they said they had that check there for the past 30 years and would release the claim against me if I sent them the money. So , I did and got my DL renewed in Florida.

When I asked Pa why the check had not cleared, they said they had a backlog and it sometimes took a month or so for a check to hit someone's bank. The funny part was, I had renewed my Fl DL a bunch of times in that 30 years without a problem, but it surfaced after all that time.

Some States have reciprocity with each other and will pull your license based on what you did in another State.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive