Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 01:25 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,456,376 times

Advertisements

If you need to tow or move something heavy look at the GM twins if not they are kind of over kill. For interior space the GM CUV triplets(Acadiac-Traverese-Enclave) and the flex/MKT are about the best. Highlander is likely the best reliability wise. Pilot and MDX are very good but certain years have transmission issues. The Mazda CX-9 is pretty good built on a lengthened edge chassis I believe. The XC90 has a number of reliability issues great when it works but not the best car for a budget unless you DIY repairs.

I would also take a look at the current gen Durango. For a budget you may want to look at the current gen Pathfinder I know they have good pricing but I know nothing about how well they hold up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 01:37 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Are you sold on an SUV? You can find decent Conversion vans in that price range/mileage and they are far better for access and comfort and have more room than an SUV. They can be hard to find because people tend to hang onto them, but if you are willing to drive a few hours, you cna usually find a ncie one eventually.

They are a pia to park, but not much worse than an SUV. Some people find them way more pleasant to drive. Ten years ago, we had to replace our third van (because I wrecked it). I told my wife she could look at any SUV instead of the ungainly vans we had for the prior twenty some years. We had a lot of money at the time so I told her she could get anything she wanted. She needed something to hold our family of 7 plus gusts/exchange student, plus two giant dogs, so her options were a bit limited. She drove all the 7 plus passenger SUVs and came back and said "I want a van. I do not like driving those things." We got another used conversion van because they are massively marked up at dealers, so they lose about 40% of their purchase price in two years.

Two or three years ago, we had worn out our van. Many of the kids had moved out, so we no longer needed Noah’s ark to drive around in. I suggested she look at all the options, maybe even a sports car. We no longer had a lot of money, but she more earned the chance to drive a fun car after years of driving land yachts. She drove a dozen cars, CUVs and SUVs: small, luxury, sporty, even a Prius, and came back and said “I want another van”.

A big issue was access. Getting to the third row seat in an SUV is a PIA. Even though we no longer use a thrid row all tha often, she still wanted the flexibiilty and capability to take one car when the kids are home, or when the dogs go somepleace with us. Making room for big things or big dogs is also a bit of work. Vans are wonderful for access (and unparalleled for comfort). She also likes that you have no "nose" out in front of you.

I guess they are not all that awful to drive.

One cavaet, your choices are really Gm or Ford and we have yet to get more than 180,000 miles out of one. At least to the best of my recollection.

Old 09-28-2016, 01:48 PM

214 posts, read 180,434 times
I am on my 2nd MDX and love it. My first one had over 200k miles and was still running well before we traded it in for another one.

My co-worker has a Mazda Mx-9 and has had good luck with it.

Good Luck!

Old 09-28-2016, 07:19 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALA2009 View Post
We are looking to trade up to a 3 row suv from our Subaru Outback. We want a reliable vehicle that has 4wd or all wheel drive and enough power to merge on busy highways (live in Dallas area). Budget is at or under $18,000 and want something with less than 60-75,000 miles.

Edmunds recommends the following:
Acura MDX
Ford Flex
Honda Pilot (first gen)
Hyundai Veracruz
Kia Sorento (with 3rd row opt)
Mazda CX-9
Volvo XC-90

Many of these are only in budget with high miles. What would you all recommend?
3 rows in most of these vehicles will be like being crammed in a sardine can! I would actually look at these and climb in them to see what a challenge it is. I have a 2014 Dodge Durango Citadel. It's huge and getting to the 3rd is not easy for everyone. If you have a bunch of little kids who can climb and don't need space, then they'll probably be ok.

You want quite a lot for practically pennies. I paid over $53K for my Durango Citadel with all the bells and whistles. It was brand spanking new and had less than 50 miles on it.....I put half of them on it testing it out. Why do you need 4WD or AWD? Going off roading? Most vehicles aren't actually made for off roading. You don't get snow in Dallas. So why do you need 4WD or AWD? You're looking at an oooooooold SUV with lots of miles for $18K.

Have you actually found any of these vehicles? Looked at them? Been in one? Driven one?

Old 09-29-2016, 05:34 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
You want quite a lot for practically pennies.
The best bang for buck at the OP's price point is actually a minivan. IMO, it's possible to get a new or nearly new one for $18K.
I too did not get the AWD requirement in Texas. OP did not mention the need to offroad.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:49 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,716,649 times
Quote:
3 rows in most of these vehicles will be like being crammed in a sardine can! I would actually look at these and climb in them to see what a challenge it is. I have a 2014 Dodge Durango Citadel. It's huge and getting to the 3rd is not easy for everyone. If you have a bunch of little kids who can climb and don't need space, then they'll probably be ok.

You want quite a lot for practically pennies. I paid over $53K for my Durango Citadel with all the bells and whistles. It was brand spanking new and had less than 50 miles on it.....I put half of them on it testing it out. Why do you need 4WD or AWD? Going off roading? Most vehicles aren't actually made for off roading. You don't get snow in Dallas. So why do you need 4WD or AWD? You're looking at an oooooooold SUV with lots of miles for $18K.

Have you actually found any of these vehicles? Looked at them? Been in one? Driven one?
I agree with this. Most of the cars on your list are the same size or smaller than my Grand Cherokee, and I have 2 rows - there's no way a third row would be comfortable in there and you're going to have zero cargo space. I've been in an Explorer with the third row as well and it's completely useless. The third row in my parents Subaru Tribeca never got used at all, they just left the seats folded down. No one could fit it them.

If you want a decent third row SUV, you're looking at a Durango or bigger. Best options out there are indeed the Tahoe/Suburban and the Expedition. Or get a van.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:34 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,961,604 times
I currently have an XC90 and have owned 4 other Volvo's besides the XC90. My last Volvo which I sold in November had 247K miles on it. They are the safest cars around and really do last for a long time. Repairs can be costly but I also know a great Volvo mechanic so mine haven't been to bad.

I have also owned a Honda Pilot and loved it. I was able to fit two adults in the 3rd row without issue. It's a great SUV and drives great. I once was able to make it 400 miles on one tank of gas. It got great gas mileage.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:43 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,533 times
Quote:
You don't get snow in Dallas.

We get snow and ice almost every year.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
The best bang for buck at the OP's price point is actually a minivan. IMO, it's possible to get a new or nearly new one for $18K.
I too did not get the AWD requirement in Texas. OP did not mention the need to offroad.
I, too, was thinking a minivan would probably be the best option for a third row with such a limited budget.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
We get snow and ice almost every year.
Ha! No, you really don't get snow. An inch is not snow. That's a dusting. Let me know when you get 18 inches in 12 hours. That's called snow. 4WD and AWD don't do much on ice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive