Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 11:31 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times

Advertisements

also loved the old Bandit T/A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF0ZhZtGmHw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 11:36 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Al Bundy drove a 1972 Plymouth Duster, not exactly a muscle car. It was a two door version of the Valiant, and while it could be ordered with a 340 CI V8, it was only 245 hp, and most (probably Bundy's) had the slant 6 with barely over 100 ho.
Did not know that, despite that I watched the show religiously in the 1980s in college.

My dad bought a 1972 Duster, it had a 318cu V8 engine and was pretty stipped down though did have an automatic and A/C for my mom's comfort. I'd call the color "Petty Blue" though it may have been something a little darker. Long time ago and not sure any of my dad's slides show the car...still sorting those. I remember it pretty well, though, as being solid-enough for what it was. Back then any car climbing up on 100K miles was pretty much a goner, and the salted Michigan roads did them no favors either.

My dad was a Chrysler man, and died owning one (though thankfully not *in* one). I only half-heartedly tried to dissuade him; they're absolutely NOT my cup of tea to this day. Times change, I'll take another look some years from now when it's time to replace either my JPN or GER car(s).

What strikes me funny is the lack of power in most 1970s and 1980s cars, my dad's 1981 Mercury Capri four cylinder made something like 105hp. My 1989 BMW 325ic only made maybe 170hp, which was barely adequate but seemed "enough" at the time in such a small car...

These days, I'd run myself right off the road with less than 3-400hp under the hood.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:36 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
'73 on (as someone said) was a horrible time for American cars. Poorly made rattle traps from companies trying to figure out how to make new smog controls work. '77 is when my folks switched to Toyota (Celica). It ran well, got good mileage and was more refined than American made small cars.
I loved the 77 Mercury Colony Park we had, and later the 77 LTD that I bought. There wasn't anything wrong with those.

Old 09-29-2016, 03:54 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
...And don't forget the gas shortage that really sunk the big boats with big engines. Boats is another name for a really big car.
Another problem was the mandated pollution controls that really robbed engines of their horse power.

The hey day for muscle cars was really the mid to late 1960's.

Dodge was crushed by Government regulations, Ford and GM faired better but as victimofGM wrote above it really opened the door for foreign competitors.

What is funny is how today many cars on the road have more powerful engines and better handling performance than many a muscle car from back in the day.

We have been watching James Bond movies from the 70's and it is funny to see the huge cars all pimped out in "Live and Let Die"

We call them "boats" here in our neck of the woods as well.

Growing up remember all those Caddys, Lincolns, Electra 225s, Bonnevilles and the rest that resembled small yachts on wheels. Cannot imagine trying to parallel park one of those things.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
We call them "boats" here in our neck of the woods as well.

Growing up remember all those Caddys, Lincolns, Electra 225s, Bonnevilles and the rest that resembled small yachts on wheels. Cannot imagine trying to parallel park one of those things.
I bet not much different then drving/parking a modern Crew Cab Full-Size PU truck would be plus today's modren PU trucks seem to have replaced the full-sized luxury land yachts of yore

Old 09-29-2016, 04:07 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Really the 70's cars are in 3 different groups in terms of appearance and performance - best of the lot are the 70 to 72 cars, largely like 60's cars. Then 73 and 74, really crap cars in stock trim. Big ugly bumpers. Then in 75, the introduction of the first catalysts in exhaust brought about a slow return of decent performance. By the end of the 70's we had the turbo Buicks, some cars were making decent HP again, although the styles of the 70's, particularly the late 70's, are sort of an acquired taste.

Keep in mind that till I think it was '71, claimed HP numbers were "gross" horsepower, a "ringer" engine on the dyno stand with no accessories. So the engines in the car didn't actually make that much. After going to "net" HP, the engines were tested with accessories, this gave lower but more realistic number.

Most 70's Detroit cars were HEAVY. The Camero was almost as heavy as same year Impala, the frames were heavy, the engines in stock form were all cast iron, not just the block but manifolds and heads too. Of course this was true back into the 50's as well.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:25 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I bet not much different then drving/parking a modern Crew Cab Full-Size PU truck would be plus today's modren PU trucks seem to have replaced the full-sized luxury land yachts of yore

First time ever drove one of those boats (IIRC was a Caddy) without power steering. Can you say "adventure". Never again......

Thing is have seen older guys whip a "boat" class car into spots I'd never dream of. Meanwhile some one with a Honda Civic cannot get into a space you could fit the Lusitania.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
First time ever drove one of those boats (IIRC was a Caddy) without power steering. Can you say "adventure". Never again......

Thing is have seen older guys whip a "boat" class car into spots I'd never dream of. Meanwhile some one with a Honda Civic cannot get into a space you could fit the Lusitania.
Hard to think not having Power steering as standard we defiantly are spoiled these days even my 91 F250 has PS and would not give that option up

Old 09-29-2016, 04:37 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
It was also a time of militant UAW sabotage and strikes which also effected the quality of the build.
Oh, that's hogwash.

All is the design of the car and the engineering that went into it.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:41 PM

65 posts, read 55,089 times
1976 Caddilac Eldorado. My dream car. 70s cars rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive