Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 01:43 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Powerful cars are more dangerous than a handgun. It is equivalent to a assault shotgun. I never know why people would trust amateurs trying to show off. I never stand close even for just a burn out.

I always thought vehicles should be regulated a bit differently in terms of performance class. Really right now you can get your driver's license and legally operate ANY class D type vehicle you can get your hands on. If someone hands you the keys to a 700HP Hellcat, you are legal to operate.

I always wondered if this needs to change? I'm sure the auto manufacturers would fight it tooth and nail though because last thing they want is a class of auto they make to be off limits to certain segments of the population if they decided to require, say, performance driving training and testing, prior to being able to operate a high(er) performance vehicle than your typical Honda Accord 4 cyl.

Of course, not quite sure I'd be for more gov't regulation though....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 02:36 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times
I used to get people wanting me to spin wheels, rev the engine, and race all the time when I had my GT. Not a day would go by that I wouldn't have someone rolling down their window and asking me to show them what my car could do. But what's funny is the ones who wanted to race me were the ones driving the beat up, old 4 bangers. I never once got someone driving a Camaro or even a Mustang, to want to race me. It was usually the ones driving a Corolla, Sentra, or old beat up Civic.

I'll never forget driving home one night on the bypass. There were only two cars on the road - my Mustang and someone else's Corolla. The dude in the Corolla was trying his very best to pass me. I was in the right lane, going about 8 miles over the limit. This dude just felt he need to get in front of me, so he floored it and barely cleared my front end before he cut in front of me. I calmly got into the left lane, barely tapped the gas with my foot, and easily left him in the dust. Never understood the reason why he thought he needed to get in front of me? I could understand if I wasn't going the limit, but I was actually speeding. I guess it was bragging rights to say he passed a Mustang GT? I barely had my foot on the gas.

I think people buy into the idea that every Mustang driver is an idiot who is just waiting to do something stupid to show off in front of people. Don't get me wrong. I liked driving my car fast, but I also liked being in control at all times. Besides, the area I lived in during the time I owned my Mustang didn't have a lot of good roads to open the car up on. And where I lived, you could almost guarantee you'd pass a cop sitting out on the side of the road waiting to catch a speeder.

Old 10-05-2016, 02:39 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I always thought vehicles should be regulated a bit differently in terms of performance class. Really right now you can get your driver's license and legally operate ANY class D type vehicle you can get your hands on. If someone hands you the keys to a 700HP Hellcat, you are legal to operate.

I always wondered if this needs to change? I'm sure the auto manufacturers would fight it tooth and nail though because last thing they want is a class of auto they make to be off limits to certain segments of the population if they decided to require, say, performance driving training and testing, prior to being able to operate a high(er) performance vehicle than your typical Honda Accord 4 cyl.

Yeah, it's going to be a no for me dawg (in my best Randy Jackson voice!) As much as I'd like to prevent idiots from doing stupid stuff in high performance vehicles, if you have a driver's license and you have the money, there shouldn't be anything stopping you from owning a high performance vehicle.

Old 10-05-2016, 03:05 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Yeah, it's going to be a no for me dawg (in my best Randy Jackson voice!) As much as I'd like to prevent idiots from doing stupid stuff in high performance vehicles, if you have a driver's license and you have the money, there shouldn't be anything stopping you from owning a high performance vehicle.
You just can't stop some people from driving while stupid. Some pay with a crashed car, some pay with their life.

Old 10-05-2016, 03:06 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,093,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Or building one. My '80 Fox body Mustang was modified with a 500hp/700lb ft 466cid Ford big block in it and I never crashed it and neither did the next owner.

And while I loved my '06 Mustang GT convertible, one of the reasons i got rid of it was the association with fools like these Mustang owners at shows. I mean, I'd rather be associated with BMW drivers than with Mustang owners these days...

Old 10-05-2016, 03:23 PM

1,062 posts, read 981,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

Not sure this would work because IMO the issue isn't driving skill, it's doing dumb stuff

Old 10-05-2016, 03:47 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
Jeez.

I have to wonder about the people sitting on the curb with their kids. AFTER, not before the crash, they pick up their little ones and dash away.

Below is my favorite CAC crash. It has everything. Whatever boxes weren't checked by the maneuver itself, were checked later by the driver of the car, who spent an unusually elaborate number of words attempting to exonerate himself on Bimmerfest.

Old 10-05-2016, 04:19 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Or building one. My '80 Fox body Mustang was modified with a 500hp/700lb ft 466cid Ford big block in it and I never crashed it and neither did the next owner.

And while I loved my '06 Mustang GT convertible, one of the reasons i got rid of it was the association with fools like these Mustang owners at shows. I mean, I'd rather be associated with BMW drivers than with Mustang owners these days...
Mustangs are not like they used to be in the 80's and 90's were one could get a used fox body 5.0 for $2500 $6K at 17-19 working part time and wrap it around a lamp post before they were 20.

i mean before the import tuner scene the mustang was probably the top of list of vesicles for a teen or earry 20 year-old would get in a wreak with

But they were super cheap back then and they were super easy to modify and they had tiny 2-piston front brakes and drum brakes in the rear with a nose heavy iron block 5.0 that would slide around in even the lightest amount of rain under the lightest amount of throttle.

I mean for the experienced driver the make great drift cars for the inexperience young drivers they were alot of car and easy to get in trouble with in no time at all.

Old 10-05-2016, 05:29 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,677,126 times
What is with these morons and Cars and Coffee?

Around here they do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoJD434FtkE

They should call it Cars, Coffee, and Morons.

I have a '67 Corvette Coupe (427-435) and no way it's going anywhere near these fools.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:37 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,940,032 times
Just another idiot Mustang driver....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive