Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 08:30 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,734,325 times

Advertisements

Meaning private sellers can be scumbags also and using whatever they can for leverage. Also a broken down non-running vehicle is hardly in high demand.

Also you have to figure if it was only $400 to get the car running don't you think he would have done that already and sell it at a higher price. My thoughts are he isn't sure it's just the injector pump and could be a myriad of other things, but he doesn't want to spend money fixing it and rather just sell as is. In this scenario buy low, extremely LOW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 08:51 AM

1,809 posts, read 5,422,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Meaning private sellers can be scumbags also and using whatever they can for leverage. Also a broken down non-running vehicle is hardly in high demand.

Also you have to figure if it was only $400 to get the car running don't you think he would have done that already and sell it at a higher price. My thoughts are he isn't sure it's just the injector pump and could be a myriad of other things, but he doesn't want to spend money fixing it and rather just sell as is. In this scenario buy low, extremely LOW
Told him i would give him a thousand and he said "1500 firm" and like last poster said give he1250 and see what he says. And like i saod also to the owner i have to have it towed down to where im at too which is also fuel which is cost of fuel to have it down here and plus he had it for sale for over a month now

Old 10-04-2016, 08:55 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
I'm not touching a vehicle I can't drive. There could be anything wrong with it. The engine could be bunk.
Tell him to get it running and then you'll talk.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:04 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,734,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
Told him i would give him a thousand and he said "1500 firm" and like last poster said give he1250 and see what he says. And like i saod also to the owner i have to have it towed down to where im at too which is also fuel which is cost of fuel to have it down here and plus he had it for sale for over a month now
It's your money. Pay whatever you are comfortable. For me (like others have pointed out) a non driveable car means I'm low balling to the moon and back. It's a take it or leave offer and that's it.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:29 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
Tell yourself that this is not the only FSBO truck. If the truck was really a deal, owner would put the money in it and drive it himself. Something smells funny.

I'd say "Thank you very much. See ya on down the road, Jack." And walk away. (Make sure he has your phone number)

Old 10-04-2016, 09:48 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I agree with this. This is probably a $3000+ truck in good running condition, if he knows for a fact that all it needs is a $400 part you'd have to think he'd get it fixed and sell it for that.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:56 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
I agree with many of the responders so far, BlackandGold . . .

Have you considered investing 100 bucks or so to have a qualified "Diesel Mechanic" to check this truck and give an educated opinion / estimate?

Old 10-04-2016, 10:24 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
My rule of thumb for older non-running vehicles is scrap value. Generally $250-$300. I know trucks tend to have higher pricing but $1000-$1500 for this thing sounds outrageous. You have no idea if the car will even drive once you get the engine to crank over. Or how it steers, etc. I spent over $1,000 redoing the front and back end on my 20+ year old car, and I did it myself.

Your offer was more than fair. Here's the thing. If you plan on reconditioning it and getting it up and going and keeping it for a long time, I also wouldn't let $500 be the difference between getting it or not if it was the "perfect" vehicle. Chances are you're going to have to dump a couple thousand into this thing, just go into it with that knowledge. Looking at those pictures are you comfortable potentially investing a couple thousand? It doesn't seem worth it.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:24 AM

1,809 posts, read 5,422,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
I agree with many of the responders so far, BlackandGold . . .

Have you considered investing 100 bucks or so to have a qualified "Diesel Mechanic" to check this truck and give an educated opinion / estimate?
Owner still said firm at 1500 and that he needs 1500 for a tractor that he is trying to get.

"Guy got old farm tractor for 1500 that I can fix up I need for my school "

Old 10-04-2016, 10:41 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
Owner still said firm at 1500 and that he needs 1500 for a tractor that he is trying to get.
I need a yacht, but I don't think I could sell one of my cars to get the cash for it.
My point... the value of one has nothing to do with the value of the other!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive