Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 06:01 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,636,950 times

Advertisements

Here is a video of me starting from a complete stop and shifting up and finally into fourth gear. I tried to make the shift from 1-2 as quick as possible. It was a rather jerky shift and you can probably hear it. Oh, another thing. Every time I shift into 2nd, I get a "crunch" feel. All of the other gears are smooth.

Video link: 1 - Sendvid

Last edited by lepoisson; 10-05-2016 at 06:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 06:23 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,646,793 times
In my 15 years of driving a Subaru in the past I have never had the problem you describe.

Have you tried driving a different stick shift car to see if the problem lies with your technique or your car.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:24 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,276,869 times
I watched your dash cam video and I have to say if I were driving behind you I would probably assume you were looking at your phone. I think you need to practice that 1-2 shift. To other drivers it looks like you are accelerating at an unnatural rate.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:26 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,092,866 times
No, who taught you to drive a stick? If you have been doing this for three years, I suggest you find someone who KNOWS how to drive a stick to re-educate you.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:28 PM

11,153 posts, read 29,139,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I've been driving a stick for 3 or 4 years. I was under the assumption that 3000-3500RPM shifts are the normal for city driving.
man 3000-3500RPM in my 91 F250 the old 5.8L Windsor V-8 is Screaming it likes to be shifted between 1200-1400RPM but it is big torque monster lugging truck V-8 plus the ZF-5 is a long throw but first to 2nd is nothing no jolting or jerking it is pretty smooth but then again it is pretty forgiving tranny and engine combo.

Last edited by GTOlover; 10-05-2016 at 06:36 PM..

Old 10-05-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
No, who taught you to drive a stick? If you have been doing this for three years, I suggest you find someone who KNOWS how to drive a stick to re-educate you.
I taught myself by watching videos online and stalling a bunch of times with my old car. Haven't stalled out in years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
man 3000-3500RPM in my 91 F250 the old 5.8L Windsor V-8 is Screaming it likes to be shifted between 1200-1400RPM but it is big torque monster lugging truck V-8 plus the ZF-5 is a long throw but first to 2nd is nothing no jolting or jerking it is pretty smooth but then again it is pretty forgiving tranny and engine combo.
If I shifted at that low of an RPM with this little 4cyl engine, I'd be lugging badly.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:29 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,322,526 times
Quote:
I taught myself by watching videos online and stalling a bunch of times with my old car.
That explains a lot, you don't really know how to drive a stick.

Angry automatic drivers? You know that's a good 97% of drivers right? Just maybe it isn't everyone else, it's you.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:49 PM

17,466 posts, read 17,280,197 times
OP, driving stick is not something you learn from a video. My dad taught me how to drive stick in one day on a 1984 Buick Skyhawk with a 2.0L OHV engine with less than 90 hp. The hard part was getting the right gas pressure while letting off the clutch for a smooth start, especially when on a hill or overpass. Some modern cars have a shift light to let you know when it's most fuel efficient to shift up. read your owners manual for manual shifting. I suggest you take a driving course or find a mature person to properly teach you before these bad habits become permanent. If you don't want to take lessons, go to an empty parking lot and practice starting from a stop up to second gear. Your shifts and acceleration should be as smooth and steady as an automatic.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
That explains a lot, you don't really know how to drive a stick.

Angry automatic drivers? You know that's a good 97% of drivers right? Just maybe it isn't everyone else, it's you.
The issue is that not every manual vehicle is alike. You can learn to drive on a VW, but end up driving a Civic like crap. My dad drove my car when helping me move a few months ago. He's driven dozens of manual vehicles over the years. He stalled my car several times because he wasn't used to the clutch and throttle in a little 4cyl Toyota. However, he hadn't driven a manual in a long time.

This is my third manual transmission vehicle and I've never had this problem with any of the other vehicles.

My friend in another state drives a newer Honda Civic. He told me that with his car, you can either pick a smooth or fast shift into 2nd gear, but not both. It seems like my car is the same deal. I really wish I could find someone with many years of experience to test drive my vehicle. It would be interesting to get a 2nd opinion on the clutch and throttle feel.

I went out earlier and experimented with shifting into 2nd. If I shift at a lower RPM (around 2000-2500), the shift is much smoother, even when done quickly. However, the engine lugs a bit.

For the experts, these are the gear ratios on my vehicle. The difference between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd leads me to believe that the engine has to be revved up to at least 2500rpm to obtain an optimal shift.

I = 3.54; II = 1.91; III = 1.31; IV = 0.97; V = 0.71; VI = 0.62

Old 10-06-2016, 01:17 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,617,896 times
Quote:
The issue is that not every manual vehicle is alike. You can learn to drive on a VW, but end up driving a Civic like crap. My dad drove my car when helping me move a few months ago. He's driven dozens of manual vehicles over the years. He stalled my car several times because he wasn't used to the clutch and throttle in a little 4cyl Toyota. However, he hadn't driven a manual in a long time.

This is my third manual transmission vehicle and I've never had this problem with any of the other vehicles.

My friend in another state drives a newer Honda Civic. He told me that with his car, you can either pick a smooth or fast shift into 2nd gear, but not both. It seems like my car is the same deal. I really wish I could find someone with many years of experience to test drive my vehicle. It would be interesting to get a 2nd opinion on the clutch and throttle feel.

I went out earlier and experimented with shifting into 2nd. If I shift at a lower RPM (around 2000-2500), the shift is much smoother, even when done quickly. However, the engine lugs a bit.

For the experts, these are the gear ratios on my vehicle. The difference between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd leads me to believe that the engine has to be revved up to at least 2500rpm to obtain an optimal shift.

I = 3.54; II = 1.91; III = 1.31; IV = 0.97; V = 0.71; VI = 0.62
i have been driving manual transmission vehicles on and off since 1976, in fact i learned ot drive on a manual transmission vehicle. some of the vehicles i have driven include a 66 mustang, 64 falcon, 84 F250 diesel, and a variety of five ton water trucks including a 59 international with a crash box(all gears non synchronized), and a 67 chevy pick up, among others. i can tell you that most of what you posted or have been told is crap. you can have fast and smooth gear changes, i know because i have done them regularly even with the crash box. i suppose next youa re going to tell me that one cannot shift gears without the clutch, and i am here to tell you that is also wrong, once again i have done it.

is it always easy to have fast smooth shifts? not always, but then again you have to work at it.

the other thing i would tell you is that unless you are an expert yourself on gearing, then you are mistaken, but it does depend on what your final drive ratio is as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive