Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 11:37 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
The arguing comment wasn't directed at you
Funny, you seem to be the only one arguing about other people's choices and preferences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 11:38 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Funny, you seem to be the only one arguing about other people's choices and preferences.
You might want to pay more attention then

Old 10-06-2016, 12:07 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,399,569 times
My car came with built-in nav (bought used, so I didn't pay extra for it), but I use a $4 cd-slot phone holder to hold my iphone and ONLY use Waze. It's about a billion times better than any factory navigation.

Old 10-06-2016, 12:26 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,991,441 times
My Honda has factory NAV and it works decently. Prior to the Honda we used a portable Garmin with lifetime updates which we bought new for 100 bucks. One thing that was/is nice about the portable one is that your passenger can change things on the Garmin such as a new destination or whatever. The factory built in navigation will not allow you to make changes while the car is in motion. One big plus I like about the built in navigation is that the voice commands are through the car speakers. I can be listening to music with the volume cranked and it will automatically lower the volume and tell me where to turn. I am also one of those people who don't like a cluttered dashboard. I don't want a portable device hanging from my windshield or an AC vent.

A lot of people mentioned that they use their phone for GPS. I've used this also, but this can be a problem if you do not have unlimited data.

As for map updates, Honda does not offer lifetime updates. So, if I want to get a new update in a few years, it will cost 100 something dollars.

Old 10-06-2016, 12:35 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,733,097 times
Truth be told phone GPS is not a data hog. You should be more concerned with battery use

Old 10-06-2016, 02:02 PM

604 posts, read 618,165 times
phone and google maps.
not a fan of Waze, it will have me dodging 18 wheelers backing out of warehouses just to shave 3 seconds off of my route. Google maps has a better balance of time and comfort.

I do have a Garmin on the dash, still. Mostly because reminds me the time I spent drawing GPS maps. But also as a back up for poor signal areas or when i'd rather not mix navigation with other phone related tasks.

Old 10-06-2016, 02:22 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,242,173 times
Yeah Waze uses very little data. Especially if you start it up at home while still on wifi. Once the maps are down it's largely the GPS chip doing the work and occasional syncs for updated route data in the form of very small data packets.

Old 10-06-2016, 02:40 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Yup, and I much prefer GPS on an 8.5 inch screen than a tiny phone screen. It will also alert me on the dash in between the speedo and tach about upcoming turns. And I don't like having crap hanging off my dash/windshield with cords all over the place.
Absolutely right plus the unit doesn't wobble around when you input addresses or POIs.

Old 10-06-2016, 02:43 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
My Honda has factory NAV and it works decently. Prior to the Honda we used a portable Garmin with lifetime updates which we bought new for 100 bucks. One thing that was/is nice about the portable one is that your passenger can change things on the Garmin such as a new destination or whatever. The factory built in navigation will not allow you to make changes while the car is in motion. One big plus I like about the built in navigation is that the voice commands are through the car speakers. I can be listening to music with the volume cranked and it will automatically lower the volume and tell me where to turn. I am also one of those people who don't like a cluttered dashboard. I don't want a portable device hanging from my windshield or an AC vent.
That's one drawback I agree with, that factory NAVs don't allow you to use all the features while moving.

Old 10-06-2016, 02:51 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
After reading threads like this I am glad that I can plan a trip with a couple of paper maps and/or a Road Atlas for detailed maps. If I am driving a complex route I will make a simple trip tape with route changes listed with miles and time between waypoints. Then just reading road signs is adequate. That works when I am alone.

Even more likely is I have my passenger provide verbal directions. That always worked but she is becoming a bit dyslexic. That can make for some exciting lane changes or quick turnarounds.

That be as it may. I thank you for your comments. I will have to figure out what WAZE is and what I need to use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive