Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 09:32 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,245,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
That's very interesting! But apparently you have to have the map downloaded beforehand, eh? It doesn't work with any of the mapping apps that come installed once you're out of cell phone range and need to leave the app. So the GPS receiving unit charts your position when using Google Maps when you're in cell range, but if you're not in cell range, you can't open Google Maps?

I appreciate you pointing this out to me. Really. But it seems strange, just the same. I've got GPS but can't use it after leaving the app. Is it possible to load the whole North America map onto a smart phone, or is that too many bits and bites?
Well you don't need all maps. But if you live somewhere or regularly visit somewhere with no cell coverage it would be a good idea to download those areas.

You can access the gps coordinates in the built-in compass app and orieneteer yourself from there on a paper map if you want.

Google maps and Waze automatically buffer some of the maps on your route. We regularly head into areas without cell coverage and they continue to work there just fine.

And yeah you'll need a 21 million gigabyte phone for all the map info.
https://www.quora.com/How-would-you-...om-Google-Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 12:59 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Well you don't need all maps. But if you live somewhere or regularly visit somewhere with no cell coverage it would be a good idea to download those areas.

You can access the gps coordinates in the built-in compass app and orieneteer yourself from there on a paper map if you want.

Google maps and Waze automatically buffer some of the maps on your route. We regularly head into areas without cell coverage and they continue to work there just fine.

And yeah you'll need a 21 million gigabyte phone for all the map info.
https://www.quora.com/How-would-you-...om-Google-Maps
Or then, perhaps, one is talking GIS rather than GPS.

When I was working in ARCGIS, I has downloading a lot of data files to CDs for this or that region. Further, at one time when I was desktop computer shopping, it was briefly noted that some people, at the time, did look to put a mini tower in their car........

..........while things have gotten smaller while holding more data, I suppose someone could put some kind of "avionics" set up in their vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive