Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 07:55 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,578,469 times

Advertisements

Because you were aware of the problem with the stoplights and still proceeded through without checking up!

Personally, I don't trust my life to a stoplight. I am always looking when I cross through an intersection which brings me to another rant.

Don't trust your life to a stoplight! It's bad enough people run the heck out of red lights. But what's worse is the people who get t-boned by the red light runners. That wreck can totally be avoided if people would merely look left and right before proceeding through an intersection even though their light is green.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 08:14 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Because you were aware of the problem with the stoplights and still proceeded through without checking up!;.
No, genius, I didn't become aware of it until after I had almost hit somebody. Do you even read the posts you respond to? Or is that too much to ask in your zeal to assign every possible conflict to the driver no matter how ridiculously you have to stretch the premise to reach your conclusion?

Old 02-27-2008, 11:07 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:

Don't trust your life to a stoplight! It's bad enough people run the heck out of red lights. But what's worse is the people who get t-boned by the red light runners. That wreck can totally be avoided if people would merely look left and right before proceeding through an intersection even though their light is green.
You obviously don't do a lot of city driving, do you? I suppose every intersection wherever you live has nice, clear, unobstructed views of the cross-street that enables you to look left and right before going through the intersection? Because around here you can't do that without basically coming to a dead stop right at the intersection, which more or less defeats the purpose of a stoplight anyway. In your world, we'd have to control nearly every intersection in this town with a 4-way stop, which would bring this city to an absolute standstill (like it isn't 2/3rds of the way there already).

Meanwhile, what if someone suddenly stops right in front of you as you're looking left and right and you don't re-center in time to give yourself adequate stopping distance? Oh wait, I forgot, you're the perfect driver who accounts for every single possible contingency at all times, so you always leave a nice big gap between you and the car in front of you....

..... which, of course, doesn't matter if someone moves in to fill that gap.

Point is, every decision has its tradeoffs. Nobody can be a perfect driver all the time and account for every single possibility, including mismanaged stoplights and potholes and other bad drivers and mechanical failures and every other possible contingency. You might believe you can. But you'd be wrong.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:06 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
Start paying attention to the drivers who you witness doing really stupid maneuvers. I'd put money that most of them will be obese.
When I hear a generalization like that, I begin to wonder exactly who is "mentally stable in the head" and who isn't.

However, it's been my experience that many of the obnoxious drivers I've encountered are professional-looking middle-aged men in expensive sedans.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:05 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,530,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

However, it's been my experience that many of the obnoxious drivers I've encountered are professional-looking middle-aged men in expensive sedans.
That's my professional opinion, too, Ohiogirl81.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:46 AM

1,297 posts, read 5,508,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

I'm not middle aged, but that pretty much sums me up.

I have zero patience when stuck in commuter traffic, especially when I'm simply driving within a 5 mile radius and stuck amoungst 2 hour commuters. Those that clog residential areas to shave 15 minutes off of their insane housing/job commute decision.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:28 PM

11 posts, read 34,028 times
I hate it when people weave in and out of traffic on the interstate with no signal but when you get behind them in a turn lane they signal.

I rarely signal while in a turn lane. the fact that I'm in a lane that is marked to turn a certain way defeats the purpose of signaling. Might as well get another signal to use when driving straight.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:50 PM

108 posts, read 351,071 times
I tend to drive on the fast side, yes I am aware that it wastes more gas than going slower, but that is how I drive.

major pet peeve -

people who tool along in the #1 lane, or fast lane, while everyone is backing up behind them or having to change lanes to pass them on the right, in the lanes reserved for slower traffic. i use to see signs that stated "Slower traffic keep right" but don't see them much anymore.

If you want to drive close to the speed limit, stay right, so that those of us that either 1. enjoy driving a little faster can get by you safely, 2. actually have a reason to be in a hurry don't have to fight to get past you.

BTW, they are called accidents because they weren't planned. regardless of how cautious a person it, sometimes things just can't be avoided. i know you think that everything can be explained away as lack of focus, poor maintenance or a myriad of other reasons, but sometimes stuff just happens.

I was hit by a car on the freeway. i was two lanes away, and the car lost control in the rain. yes, they misjudged the traffic and locked up the brakes with the wheels cranked towards my lane and yes i could have been avoided, but the fact that there was a possibility that it could have been avoided doesn't make it any less an accident.

the only time an accident isn't an accident, is when it is planned. some accidents are more foreseeable, like your lady eating a cupcake, talking on the phone and driving, but. . .

heck, i have seen people reading books and the newspaper as they are driving down the freeway at 70+ mph. very little surprises me anymore on the road
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive