Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2016, 12:15 PM

306 posts, read 364,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
All of my jack stands have pins but I also leave the floor jack in place if I'm going to have to be underneath.
Yup. I avoided the ratcheting type for this reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I lift it up with my hydraulic jack, put ratcheting jack stands under the car, then ease the tension knob on the hydraulic stand so the weight falls and rests fully on the jack stands. Then tighten the tension so that the hydraulic becomes the "back up stand".
Same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tar21 View Post
Is there a reason you put it down on the jack stands and don't leave it on the jack with the jack stands just under the car as a backup? A heavy floor jack seems more sturdy than jack stands.
You reduce the odds off the car slipping off the stands when the car comes crashing down if you do it this way.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 12:44 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,923,904 times
Quote:
Do you guys let the car fall on the jack stands, or leave the car on the jack and put the jack stands 1 inch below the car in case the jack fails?
THAT IS NOT HOW YOU ARE SUPPOSE TO USE THE JACK.

Jacks are for lifting the car, not necessary keeping the car up. Jack your car up using an old jack that may be leaking, keep the car up and check back later. You may be surprised that the car may be in a lower position than before.

Old 10-12-2016, 02:32 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Just be careful.

My neighbor was killed when the car fell on him. This is true, not a troll post. His teenage son came running over and POUNDING on the door, grabbed my dad and ran him next door, but it was too late. The son was super quiet, so my dad knew something was really wrong and just ran with him. It was awful, horrible. Neighbor was a mechanic too, just a fluke thing. Right before christmas, too. Sued the hell out of the jack company.

Old 10-12-2016, 02:35 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I lift it up with my hydraulic jack, put ratcheting jack stands under the car, then ease the tension knob on the hydraulic stand so the weight falls and rests fully on the jack stands. Then tighten the tension so that the hydraulic becomes the "back up stand".
This exactly.

Old 10-12-2016, 04:49 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,079,863 times
Quote:
Is there a reason you put it down on the jack stands and don't leave it on the jack with the jack stands just under the car as a backup? A heavy floor jack seems more sturdy than jack stands.
Definitely not. A jack is using hydraulic pressure (fluid, valves, and seals) to lift the car up. It's not meant to be a long term support. A jack stand is solid metal and designed for a weight much heavier than the car.

It's more stable to use 2 jack stands on the sides, rather than a jack in the center. With just the jack, it's possible to knock the car off just by bumping into. On jack stands, the car won't budge if you bump it.

Finally, leaving the car jacked up 1" higher than the jack stands is a terrible idea from a safety perspective:
1. The stands may not be perfectly lined up with the jack points. If the car falls off the jack (or it fails), the stand might fall over or punch through the floorboard of the car instead of catch it.

2. If for some reason your hand is in the area, it creates a pinch point. You'd be lucky to get away with just a few broken bones.

3. Dropping the car on to the stands creates an impact with much higher stress than simply resting the car on the stands.
Slowly lower the car unto the jack stands, and then pump up the jack so it's just touching the lifting point.

Old 10-12-2016, 04:53 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
I only use pin type stands for cars and often double hydraulic floor jacks.

The only device I have ever had problems with are ramps... had one simply bend in slow motion!

Old 10-12-2016, 08:17 PM

696 posts, read 904,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
100% agree. How could the stand come down without something breaking?

Even if the ratchet didn't engage properly, it seems like it would only come down one tooth, not all the way down
I found a link to the thread where the car fell on the guy, it has pictures of the jack after it fell on him.
914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Old 10-13-2016, 07:34 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
Definitely not. A jack is using hydraulic pressure (fluid, valves, and seals) to lift the car up. It's not meant to be a long term support. A jack stand is solid metal and designed for a weight much heavier than the car.

It's more stable to use 2 jack stands on the sides, rather than a jack in the center. With just the jack, it's possible to knock the car off just by bumping into. On jack stands, the car won't budge if you bump it.

Finally, leaving the car jacked up 1" higher than the jack stands is a terrible idea from a safety perspective:
1. The stands may not be perfectly lined up with the jack points. If the car falls off the jack (or it fails), the stand might fall over or punch through the floorboard of the car instead of catch it.

2. If for some reason your hand is in the area, it creates a pinch point. You'd be lucky to get away with just a few broken bones.

3. Dropping the car on to the stands creates an impact with much higher stress than simply resting the car on the stands.
Slowly lower the car unto the jack stands, and then pump up the jack so it's just touching the lifting point.
Very good sense here, as a couple of others have also pointed out.

I have never had the ratchet mechanism on a stand fail, I *have* had the base crumple/bend.

When you do 'something' that causes a vehicle to come off the primary support, typically it causes the whole body of the vehicle to shift in some direction, if the stands are positioned below any support point it is highly likely that the falling vehicle will either knock the stands over or miss them entirely.

I once spent eight hours trapped under a '73 Gran Torino, waiting for my wife to get home from work, when I was using a long pry bar and dislodged it from the supports. The edge of the body was resting on my legs and I couldn't reach anything to get it jacked back up. It sucked, don't do this.

Cheap Chinese tools- When I was young and somewhat more foolish than I am now, I bought a set of tools at what seemed like a bargain price. My cheapskate self was very pleased...until I broke down on a dark country road and tried to use them. They were crap and broke. Avoid bargain basement tools, buy good stuff even if they cost more. You may never know if a less expensive tool would have done the job as well, but you will damn sure know when your cheap [stuff] fails just at the time when you really, really need it to work...and you *won't* be happy.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:13 AM

776 posts, read 580,074 times
Quote:
I saw a video where a guy talks about jack stands releasing themselves and dropping the car on you. How much of a concern is this do you think?
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...e0xgqGq3AorrbY

Many people make this mistake, notice the small u shape cutout on the side opposite of the handle, this is your safety catch. From the factory they are just cut out. It is your job to bend these in, many manufactures don't tell you this.

https://heavydutytruckpart.files.wor...pg?w=150&h=150

I personally like these types. Notice the flat bottoms, I will most the time weld a metal plate on the bottom to make it more stable. I know this is expensive but remember so it a hospital bill. That and you can't spend your money if your dead.

1. Use 2x6's bolted or screwed together as a back up, if you want a cheap back up. Don't use concrete blocks or 6x6's or 8x8's wooden blocks. They can have internal fractures and can explode with little to no warning, people have dyed this way. My high school teacher was a mechanic for 30+ years. He worked with a guy that dyed because one of the blocks had a defect or fracture in it. Plus, they weren't meant for sudden force to be exerted on them or force at and angle. This will happen if another jack fails or one side of the vehicle falls.

https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qim...t_to_webp=true

This would be a good example. I do know there isn't anything in the middle to support the blocks, but if a man can do this imagine what a falling car can do.

Be careful, be safe, and

http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/k...ruck-on-43.png

Old 10-13-2016, 10:11 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothere1 View Post
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...e0xgqGq3AorrbY

Many people make this mistake, notice the small u shape cutout on the side opposite of the handle, this is your safety catch. From the factory they are just cut out. It is your job to bend these in, many manufactures don't tell you this.
That is NOT a safety catch. The purpose of these tabs is to prevent the shaft from being pulled all the way out of the frame if you choose to pick up the jack in a manner that would allow it to slide out. They would do nothing to 'catch' the jack in the event of a forceful collapse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive