Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2016, 09:58 AM

776 posts, read 580,582 times

Advertisements

Cummins Introduces New X15 Heavy Duty Engines

......First, I'm a big Cummins fan. However, IMO, they have been slipping in the market. I noticed to Iveco in the Ag industry, but I've also noticed some slippage in the trucking market as well. I'm very happy to see them stepping up their game. I'm very happy to see American engineering finally realizing they are lagging.
......Second, cleaner and more power. "The X15 is an evolution of the proven ISX15 engine with an optimized compression ratio, air handling system, and combustion process to deliver up to 20 percent better fuel economy and 30 percent lower maintenance costs than comparable 2010 ISX15 engines. I'm also excited to see they are going back and looking at their compression ratio. Many other manufactures have been experimenting with this as a way to fore go DEF.
......"With Cummins’ Connected Solutions program, driver sand fleet managers can update to the latest calibration without having to bring their truck into a service bay." Wow, what a large change. If they do this right, more fuel savings and less ware.
......Lastly and most important. "The engine enters into limited production at Cummins’ Jamestown, New York, engine plant in late 2016, with full production staring January 2017." You want to make America great again, this is how. Finally, some good news while eating my breakfast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 05:36 PM

189 posts, read 178,663 times
I wouldn't get too excited. Cummins has a LONG history of over promising and under delivering on programs. I have close family that works for Cummins in Columbus, Indiana so, I know what I'm talking about.

Also, about making America great again......do you realize that most if not all Cummins engine blocks, gears, pulleys, cylinder heads, pistons and fuel pump assemblies are made in either Mexico, Brazil, India, England, Germany or China? The only parts I know that are really MADE in USA are some tubing, stampings and the Charleston SC made turbocharger.

Cummins hasn't been an engine "maker" for about 20 years now.....it only assembles various outsourced parts into an engine and then puts its name on it. Sorry to burst your bubble but, this is the reality.

G

Old 10-17-2016, 12:28 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,674,787 times
Cummins has a good rep at sea. The Deadliest Catch boat Time Bandit just dropped in a new pair of QSK19s.

The Bering Sea is no joke. Lose your engines out there and it can be all over.

My old boat has a pair of 12V71TI Detroits that are almost 50 years old. If I ever repower, it will be between Cummins and Cat. Really the only choice in their size class.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Cummins has a good rep at sea. The Deadliest Catch boat Time Bandit just dropped in a new pair of QSK19s.

The Bering Sea is no joke. Lose your engines out there and it can be all over.

My old boat has a pair of 12V71TI Detroits that are almost 50 years old. If I ever repower, it will be between Cummins and Cat. Really the only choice in their size class.
I don't know where you are but I've only heard good things about Detroits from the northern crowd. They say they're built well and move fuel like no other, making them a favorite in the winter. I love Cummins but I am very bias so I don't know if I would be a good reference.

Old 10-17-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav Halbach View Post
I wouldn't get too excited. Cummins has a LONG history of over promising and under delivering on programs. I have close family that works for Cummins in Columbus, Indiana so, I know what I'm talking about.

Also, about making America great again......do you realize that most if not all Cummins engine blocks, gears, pulleys, cylinder heads, pistons and fuel pump assemblies are made in either Mexico, Brazil, India, England, Germany or China? The only parts I know that are really MADE in USA are some tubing, stampings and the Charleston SC made turbocharger.

Cummins hasn't been an engine "maker" for about 20 years now.....it only assembles various outsourced parts into an engine and then puts its name on it. Sorry to burst your bubble but, this is the reality.

G
Yes sir, I am well aware of this. I worked on them for years and in parts for more. I was getting more excited about the fact that they recognized the issues and they are making more parts in the us. If I remember correctly we had problems getting some eastern European parts when Russia jumped the Ukrainan boarder. I hope they are learning their lesion, but I doubt it. Also, Cummins does what everyone else dose, shove something out the door to be competitive and not work out the bugs, this is why I would not buy this in its first, first & half year of production.

Old 10-17-2016, 01:11 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,674,787 times
I'm on the east coast.

I had to google to see if Detroit even has a marine division nowadays... they do. But I've never seen a modern Detroit in a boat. Lots of the old two strokes like mine, though.

Around here for modern engines, it's mainly Cats and Cummins, a few Ivecos, and in really high dollar boats, M A N and MTU. Oh and some Perkins in small boats.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:28 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,931,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothere1 View Post
Cummins Introduces New X15 Heavy Duty Engines

......First, I'm a big Cummins fan. However, IMO, they have been slipping in the market. I noticed to Iveco in the Ag industry, but I've also noticed some slippage in the trucking market as well. I'm very happy to see them stepping up their game. I'm very happy to see American engineering finally realizing they are lagging.
......Second, cleaner and more power. "The X15 is an evolution of the proven ISX15 engine with an optimized compression ratio, air handling system, and combustion process to deliver up to 20 percent better fuel economy and 30 percent lower maintenance costs than comparable 2010 ISX15 engines. I'm also excited to see they are going back and looking at their compression ratio. Many other manufactures have been experimenting with this as a way to fore go DEF.
......"With Cummins’ Connected Solutions program, driver sand fleet managers can update to the latest calibration without having to bring their truck into a service bay." Wow, what a large change. If they do this right, more fuel savings and less ware.
......Lastly and most important. "The engine enters into limited production at Cummins’ Jamestown, New York, engine plant in late 2016, with full production staring January 2017." You want to make America great again, this is how. Finally, some good news while eating my breakfast.
Too little, too late for Cummins I'm afraid. Their days in the truck business are numbered and they will soon be out of that market just like Caterpillar. All the truck makers are moving towards proprietary powertrains and Cummins is getting pushed out. I don't know if it will be 5 years, 10 years, 15 years, etc but Cummins is being slowly phased out by every truck manufacturer.

They were in talks recently with Navistar to sell their engine division to them, but Navistar just doesn't have the means to buy Cummins right now given their years of flushing money down the toilet with their failed Maxxforce engines and exceptionally high warranty costs. Given that, Navistar joined up with VW and now they are going to work on an engine platform together. This is very bad news for Cummins as Navistar was the one truck maker who relied on Cummins the most.

Navistar: Why Volkswagen Deal is Bad News…For Cummins - Stocks to Watch - Barrons.com

Old 10-18-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
Too little, too late for Cummins I'm afraid. Their days in the truck business are numbered and they will soon be out of that market just like Caterpillar. All the truck makers are moving towards proprietary powertrains and Cummins is getting pushed out. I don't know if it will be 5 years, 10 years, 15 years, etc but Cummins is being slowly phased out by every truck manufacturer.

They were in talks recently with Navistar to sell their engine division to them, but Navistar just doesn't have the means to buy Cummins right now given their years of flushing money down the toilet with their failed Maxxforce engines and exceptionally high warranty costs. Given that, Navistar joined up with VW and now they are going to work on an engine platform together. This is very bad news for Cummins as Navistar was the one truck maker who relied on Cummins the most.

Navistar: Why Volkswagen Deal is Bad News…For Cummins - Stocks to Watch - Barrons.com
I hate to say I see your view, but I see your view. I'm wondering how long before Dodge starts using Iveco now that it is owned by the Italians. As for Navistar, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't fold before Cummins. Everything can change in the engine market, it always has, but I agree that things don't look good for those two companies.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:30 AM

2,376 posts, read 2,931,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothere1 View Post
I hate to say I see your view, but I see your view. I'm wondering how long before Dodge starts using Iveco now that it is owned by the Italians. As for Navistar, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't fold before Cummins. Everything can change in the engine market, it always has, but I agree that things don't look good for those two companies.
Normally I would be more upset about something like this, as Cummins is a good American company, but on my side of things I absolutely hate dealing with them. They are extremely hard to deal with and will cut your legs out from under you in a heartbeat. They don't realize it but this is one of the reasons they are getting pushed-out. All the truck dealers prefer to use other engines for the most part and many of them build much better engines, anyway. (Detroit Diesel to name one...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive