Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 07:02 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
I think one reason you don't hear people rave about them is that they're a very average at best vehicle. The typical owner likely views it as an appliance that transports them from one place to another while carrying people and things. In the very crowded smallish crossover market, there are so many better choices for driving enjoyment, reliability, quality, etc.

Not necessarily related to the Rogue, but I think Nissan started to decline after the late 90s/early 2000s. The maxima of that era was a fun, quick, and sporty sedan. The Sentra SE-R (and Spec V) was a very sporty little car. Then they came out with the bloated Altima, and even more bloated maxima, and the CVTs (with a good amount of reliability issues). Now they only sporty things they have are the 370Z and the extremely rare GT-R (no doubt it's a truly impressive car though).
If Nissan's quality is declining it's not hurting their sales. They've almost caught up with Honda, both are at 10% in US market share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2016, 01:49 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
They are generic and not a terribly good value. If you want a car that is a better value that is at a lower price point get a Kia Soul instead.

Well-stated, GraniteStater. I own a 2011 Kia Soul 5-speed stick, and the hatchback/wagon is reliable, fun to drive and funky looking, in a good way. I only have 74,408 miles on it and it's no where near replacement time, but since I love cars so much I research them pretty much constantly. I rented a Nissan Rogue in Dec. of 2014 and found it to be peppy and fun to drive and attractive. It would cost more new than I'd want to pay, plus I'd rather buy a new 2018 Kia Rio hatch that will come out in the 1st quarter of 2017.

Speaking of Nissan, ha, I don't think they care about your blatter putting them down. They're rolling like Foghat was in the 70's - IOW's - fantastic! They're raking in the money and sending cars, trucks and SUV's down the line like nobody's business, but their own. I like the Nissan cube, the Kia Soul's competitor, a lot. I still like it. I also like the cheapest car to buy in America, the Nissan Versa S sedan. Sells for around $13,000 for the 5-speed stick. I actually like it's styling and look at reviews of it online constantly. Nissan is on their game and their alliance with Renault is not only not hurting them, it's helping both of them out.

I like their new design philosophy, the new Sentra, Altima and Maxima all look pretty good to me, but the inexpensive Nissan Versa S sedan is my favorite. That and the 2018 Kia Rio are front-running right now as replacement choices for the 2011 Kia Soul 5-speed stick. No real hurry, though, hence all the fun ahead to look forward to.

The Nissan Rogue is fine for what it is, to me. The new Toyota RAV4 looks pretty good to me, too. Couldn't really go wrong with that smaller SUV. Wonder if it comes with a standard transmission. Probably not.

Old 10-23-2016, 05:56 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,935,359 times
My 1986 extra cab gave me excellent service for 286,000 miles,its replacement 99 Tacoma sr5 still going strong at 204,000.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:40 AM

21,880 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Appliance vehicle. Nissan reliability where Honda and Toyota make the same types of vehicles. Looks okay, I guess, but it needs to do something to differentiate from Toyota/Honda.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:13 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
If Nissan's quality is declining it's not hurting their sales. They've almost caught up with Honda, both are at 10% in US market share.
I think it has lots to do with Nissan giving better deals.

For example, Honda's standard leasing mileage allowance is now 10k miles/year for either 36 or 39 months. If you want 12 or 15k miles, you're going got have to pony up some more money. Nissan on the other hand remains at 12k standard for 36 months and only .15 cents for every mile over.

The Altima can be had for a significant discount over the Accord. Is it a better car? No, but to some consumers it doesnt matter. They're either leasing or looking for a point a - b appliance. In that regard, Nissan offers more bang for the buck.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:56 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,432,146 times
I was given one as a rental for a few days down in Florida. It felt massize & underpowered with the CVT. Good storage. Won't buy

Old 04-03-2017, 07:00 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
Underpowered and tranny sucks. Nissan needs a kick in the butt asap.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:31 PM

1,112 posts, read 884,497 times
I loved my 2010 Rogue..traded it at 99k because I needed a van..so I bought the nissan Quest in 2013...152k and zero problems! I dont mind the CVT...I MAINTAIN MY VEHICLES TOO.

Mae
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive