Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 12:04 PM

9,411 posts, read 11,156,929 times

Advertisements

I use CB.
It's a good tool, and no matter where you go or what you do, there are pottymouth morons ready to show off their intellijints.

AFAIK, outfits like Car and Driver, Motor Trend, etc. use CBs during their group road tests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 02:14 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,531,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You don't have to have an illegally modded radio to get bear reports from 75 miles away. The reports roll up the highway in the opposite direction you're travelling. "I saw a smokey with a customer back at mile marker 238..." That was an hour ago. Meanwhile, you're headed toward mile marker 238. That's how that works. Of course, by that time the information is incredibly stale and useless, and I think that was Crew Chief's point.

Anyway, CBs are still somewhat helpful for sniffing out bears. Cops are getting more and more creative with disguising their patrol vehicles, and it sometimes takes experienced truckers to sniff them out. That said, a CB is a supplement to, not a substitute for, a high-quality radar detector. And yes, it can help stave boredom by either providing chances to chat with fellow travelers or providing for some colorful people-watching opportunities (or "people-listening" as the case may be). For a city lad like me, it's also a fascinating study in cultural habits/differences.
Thanks, Drover! Glad to see you're thinking... I'm gonna play "devil's advocate" for a moment because I'm not very much like most of the truckers portrayed on TV (and I'm not even as good looking as Jerry Reed...) For the most part, my opinion about "bear reports" is that I'm not going to aid and abet some "Super Trucker" that wants to fly at ground level on the open highway. I set my cruise control (if weather/traffic conditions permit) at 2 mph over the speed limit. The cops won't even look at me because there are SO many people driving WELL over the speed limit. The other nice thing about doing that is I rarely have to brake because most traffic just goes on past. (that doesn't mean that I wouldn't like to go a little faster (65 mph is fine) or that I agree with split speed limits (I don't) But I drive that way because my driving skills are always on display. AND the name of the retailer I deliver to is in LARGE letters on the trailer.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:49 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
I use CB.
It's a good tool, and no matter where you go or what you do, there are pottymouth morons ready to show off their intellijints.

AFAIK, outfits like Car and Driver, Motor Trend, etc. use CBs during their group road tests.
I used to travel in convoys to rallycrosses. We all used FRS radios, and I would imagine C&D, Motor Trend and the like also do that. Better range (assuming compared to an unmodified CB transmitter), better portability from vehicle to vehicle, clearer signal, the ability to use sub-channels to filter out other channel traffic, etc.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:02 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,691,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Anyone here still use a CB radio?
had one in 1975, and it was a fun toy, and real usefull- was it a fad or what.
I also enjoyed learning all the talk.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:12 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,775,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Did you actually read the rest of the paragraph? It has nothing to do with the technical ability of the CBs.
Read it 6X over. I understand it's all about the antenna, have not heard of anyone getting that far though.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:13 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,757,602 times
Quote:
Anyone here still use a CB radio?
I have one in my house but don't use it that much.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:15 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,757,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Thanks, Drover! Glad to see you're thinking... I'm gonna play "devil's advocate" for a moment because I'm not very much like most of the truckers portrayed on TV (and I'm not even as good looking as Jerry Reed...) For the most part, my opinion about "bear reports" is that I'm not going to aid and abet some "Super Trucker" that wants to fly at ground level on the open highway. I set my cruise control (if weather/traffic conditions permit) at 2 mph over the speed limit. The cops won't even look at me because there are SO many people driving WELL over the speed limit. The other nice thing about doing that is I rarely have to brake because most traffic just goes on past. (that doesn't mean that I wouldn't like to go a little faster (65 mph is fine) or that I agree with split speed limits (I don't) But I drive that way because my driving skills are always on display. AND the name of the retailer I deliver to is in LARGE letters on the trailer.
The FASTER you GO, the MORE you MAKE!

Old 03-07-2008, 07:30 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,252 times
You also get a relay factor, one guy gets the call from 4 miles away, then he transmitts it and so on, pretty soon that bear call has been transmitted a long distance.
I still have a CB although it's somewhere in a closet, when I was young my friends used them to get together on weekend nights. I used to work on a loading rack in a refinery, I bought a few nicely modified radios from truckers.
My Son is 24 and has one in his car.
When we travel with others we use hand held radios to comunicate between vehicles.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:32 PM

12 posts, read 40,965 times
Default Signal Skip

There is a phenomenon called "skip." The signal bounces off the Ionosphere and can be heard for long distances. I've heard conversations from Texas, while on I-95 in Philly.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:37 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
Quote:
Read it 6X over. I understand it's all about the antenna, have not heard of anyone getting that far though.
6X over and you still didn't get it. *Sigh* I give up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive