Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 07:23 AM

1,062 posts, read 967,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNewheart View Post
the cherokee has had its nuts cut off and trust me, the wrangler wont be far behind, trucks are so much closer to cars than actual trucks nowadays its sad. When I buy a truck I dont need leather and premium tunes and power everything, I need to the haul **** for as cheap as possible.
Fiat committed to keeping the Wrangler as it is, with solid axles and a frame. Makes sense because the offroad niche is shared with only ONE other SUV, the 4Runner. They'd be stupid to turn it into yet another crossover (YAC)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 08:05 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,028,570 times
Quote:
if the new jeep truck is anything like everything they make now it will be a useless mall crawler. they ruined the grand cherokee
IMO it is completely ruined..

I had one once and it was the biggest POS ever. Could not keep brakes on it - and in fact, the right front brake had a tendency to lock down sometimes when I was driving. The electric windows always needed repair, and the last straw was when the AC went out.. Some part needed to be replaced that was hard to get to. The dashboard had to be taken out and it was very labor intensive, they said - along with a $1700 quote. Took it the very next day and traded it.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
IMO it is completely ruined..

I had one once and it was the biggest POS ever. Could not keep brakes on it - and in fact, the right front brake had a tendency to lock down sometimes when I was driving. The electric windows always needed repair, and the last straw was when the AC went out.. Some part needed to be replaced that was hard to get to. The dashboard had to be taken out and it was very labor intensive, they said - along with a $1700 quote. Took it the very next day and traded it.
Getting a lemon doesn't mean the whole model is ruined

Old 10-24-2016, 08:37 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,028,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
Getting a lemon doesn't mean the whole model is ruined
True, but I've heard other people complain though. They're nice cars though which is a shame..

Old 10-24-2016, 08:43 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,864,792 times
Quote:
the cherokee has had its nuts cut off and trust me, the wrangler wont be far behind, trucks are so much closer to cars than actual trucks nowadays its sad. When I buy a truck I dont need leather and premium tunes and power everything, I need to the haul **** for as cheap as possible.
The Grand Cherokee has always been a leather clad luxo 4x4. You're thinking of the Cherokee.
The Wrangler is probably the most primtive 4x4 on the road today. You can't even get a backup camera despite having a giant wheel blocking your rear view. The doors are held on by outside mounted hinges and fabric straps. Your busted pickup has fancier doors than that with luxury features such as hinge detents and stuff. 4 wheel low doesn't even have a synchro. Your busted truck probably has a fancy 4x4 electric switch unless it's from the 70's.

It doesn't matter, more people are buying them than ever in their history. The old dirty base model truck thing isn't a seller. Those people buy used trucks which manufacturers could care less about.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:39 AM

57 posts, read 69,246 times
nahh the grand cherokee use to be based on the same chassis as the cherokee , just a few more options, then it morphed into a crossover pile of **** you have nowadays, its hardly able to go in a tamest offroad situation anymore.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:22 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,176,864 times
Quote:
nahh the grand cherokee use to be based on the same chassis as the cherokee , just a few more options, then it morphed into a crossover pile of **** you have nowadays, its hardly able to go in a tamest offroad situation anymore.
the Grand Cherokee (ZJ) originally was supposed to be the replacement for the (XJ) back when they were owned by AMC

The Grand Cherokee's origins date back to 1983 when American Motors Corporation (AMC) was designing a successor to the smaller Jeep Cherokee (XJ).

Three outside (non-AMC) designers—Larry Shinoda, Alain Clenet, and Giorgetto Giugiaro—were also under contract with AMC to create and build a clay model of the Cherokee XJ replacement, then known as the "XJC" project.
However, the basic design for the Cherokee's replacement was well under way by AMC's in-house designers and the 1989 Jeep Concept 1 show car foretold the basic design.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_G...ee#Development

Old 10-25-2016, 09:31 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,608,756 times
Quote:
The Cherokee has been a unibody since the 1984 XJ model. The Grand Cherokee was based off of (and succeeded) this model, so it was always a unibody design.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
The current Grand Cherokee has independent suspension but it has a lot of ground clearance and is pretty capable offroad. It seems to have lost nothing by ditching the solid rear axle.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:53 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,903,764 times
Quote:
I remember seeing an '05 Grand on the trail over Elephant Hill near Moab, Utah. It had no troubles on that trail or any of the others (Top of The World, Metal Masher, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive