Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 08:00 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times

Advertisements

I got rid of my Ranger a few years ago and got a Subaru - I joke that it's my grownup car. I will maybe own a pickup again someday if I have a legitimate reason. However, the only "compact" pickup I would ever get again is the Toyota Tacoma. The one I had ran 8 years with absolutely NO problems - I swear all I did was get the oil changed, replace the occasional headlight, and on one occasion the battery, alternator and starter. It got basically pancaked when it was rear-ended in an accident; otherwise I'd probably still be driving it today.

My Ranger was a PITA. That may have been because it had all the bells and whistles and was pretty used by the time I got it, but it was such a stark contrast to my Tacoma. Between my experiences with that and my old Bronco, I will probably never own another Ford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2016, 08:29 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
I've had good luck with Fords and with most every other make... currently own 50 vehicles.

If I were to single out one vehicle from many that gave me the most trouble it would be my S10 with the 4.3 engine... it was not a lot of trouble... just electical gremlins.

The truck was fine except I had problems with the instrument cluster... apparently common.

I won't drive with a functioning temp gauge so I by passed the OEM and put in a mechanical one and later the fuel gauge was acting up... so used my odometer to keep track... sold if for more than I paid and it had 37,000 miles.

Remember back when my neighbor brought home a new Datsun... boy was it small!

Trucks owned include Toyota, Courier, Mazda, Ranger, Luv, Silverado, F100, F150, F250, Dodge 100... all were good... some lacked most creature comforts... even had an old International once...

Never owned a Mitsubishi, Honda or Subaru... friends had Subaru Brats... about as small as they came back then.

I do really like my Samurai... fun all around car for the ranch and taken it distance too... with the top off hauled a refrigerator once... also firewood and concrete block... it may not be a truck but I used it as one.

Several In-Laws have or had Rangers... they liked them and got good service... stick and auto... one liked his so well... when it died on the freeway with 261,000 miles he bought a new one... still has it with 161,000 and counting...

Old 10-23-2016, 01:42 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
The new Mercedes pickup is based on Nissan Frontier and slated to play in the Small pickup Truck sandbox.

It would be superb it they had a pickup version of the robust looking G class https://www.google.com/search?q=merc...uv+2016+gclass

But... afraid they will send a swoopy ultramodern looking pickup to USA market, and unlikely US will get a diesel or even a manual tranny.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LTnGHG...J6m6EdP2lyseaQ

Old 10-23-2016, 09:21 AM

57 posts, read 70,164 times
I'll take a cheap used S10 anyday. or a ranger, I just picked this up for 1,000 bucks, 235k 4.3 4l60E 3.08 rear gear. you can't kill a tbi 4.3. do wish it would have been a long bed though.

Hard to find one the dash isnt falling apart though, hack job POs and crappy mechanics over tightening screws and breaking plastic was hard on these interiors.

Old 10-23-2016, 10:23 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times
With a little TLC that truck could look real nice. You found a cleaner one for sure.

Old 10-23-2016, 10:34 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Not really. While you don't think it would be worth it, many people would disagree. What would "have" to be replaced would depend on the owner. Many rubber and plastic parts could be safely re-used.
My son did such a restoration on a 1966 Barracuda. He is currently doing a similar daily-driver restoration on a 1975 MG Midget. He made money on the Plymouth, and will likely come out ahead on the MG.
Yes, it CAN be done!
When you say he made money on the restoration, do you mean that he he made a profit after accounting for the retail value of his labor added to the cost of the parts he used and the cost of the vehicle, or do you mean he 'made money' like he spent $5000 on the base car, $5000 on parts, and sold it for $12000 after putting 500 hours into it, earning $4 an hour for his time?

And if you are using re-using 50 year old plastic and rubber parts, you most assuredly are not ending up with a vehicle 'better than new'.

Old 10-23-2016, 10:44 AM

57 posts, read 70,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
With a little TLC that truck could look real nice. You found a cleaner one for sure.
yea hell its got 4 brand new tires on it. that's worth half the cost of the truck. needs a knock sensor, someone installed an aftermarket on on it and the resistance is too high, so I gotta get a gm one.

Old 10-23-2016, 10:45 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
[quote=BobNewheart;45920952]I'll take a cheap used S10 anyday. or a ranger, I just picked this up for 1,000 bucks, 235k 4.3 4l60E 3.08 rear gear. you can't kill a tbi 4.3. do wish it would have been a long bed though.

I would pay 50k for that truck if it was made new today with a 430hp LS3 from the factory. I hate big trucks and 4 doors.

Old 10-23-2016, 11:54 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
There are lots of people lamenting the lack of the compact truck.

I think because they can get such great mileage out of the large trucks now, (ecoboost and all that) there are many people that just buy the big truck. Although in my opinion they are cumbersome to drive around and park.

we've always had OK results with our Ford trucks (cars, not so much). But we had a small toyota for a while (just outgrew it w/2 kids) and really liked it. Would have kept it if we knew we could not replace it.

Old 10-23-2016, 12:01 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
What will probably happen is a flood of small trucks will be introduced but not at small prices...

Buyers will see there isn't much savings so many will opt bigger.

Several recent truck buyers I know all opted for 4 door because they are people haulers more than material haulers...

For years I owned no truck... but I have always owned a 4x8 utility trailer that I could load with plywood, drywall, rock, or whatever... very cheap to keep and very useful...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive