Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 07:31 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
This^^

Put zero down so that you are comparing same terms for the same car at several dealers.

Make sure the term of the lease is 36 months max (same as the bumper to bumper warranty).

Have the car serviced according to the owners manual at the same dealer that leased the car.
And then he'll have a $400 a month car payment. I love this "Don't put money down on a lease" business...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 11:13 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,762,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
And then he'll have a $400 a month car payment. I love this "Don't put money down on a lease" business...
You shouldn't put money down on a lease. You don't get it back.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:27 AM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semidevil View Post
Ideally, I'd like to not pay more than $2000 down, and if the monthly payments listed includes gap with the additional miles (about 18k to 20k), is that doable?

Also, since most new cars already come with 3 year/36k warranty, will I still get offered additional warranty packages? If so, do I need it?

And how does the returning process work in 3 years? Im assuming for normal wear and tear, they won't try squeeze additional money out of me?
1. yes you can ask for 15k or 18k miles. If you plant to dump that much mileage, maybe leasing isn't good for you.

2. Normal wear & tear is fine. Typically you are given $500 per damage spot allowance..up to 4 spot... $2,000 total. Keep in mind that repainting a bumper is almost certainly over $500.

Most dealers do offer excess wear & tear for the lease term. It can be worth it for some people. Be careful to get the one from the official one using factory one oppose to 3rd party warranty. Always read the fine print. Prices are negotiable. I'll throw some ballpark figures. $600-$900 for up to $8000 of damages. A bent alloy rim can cost upwards of 2 grand plus. In an urban city, the odds of damages are higher

Old 04-04-2017, 12:49 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,296,407 times
I dont see how one can get a lower monthly payment without putting money down.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:46 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTony View Post
I dont see how one can get a lower monthly payment without putting money down.
Factory incentives or sales.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:15 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,570,419 times
If you're leasing, the only advice I an give you is......

Don't put ANY money down. Do pay your taxes and registration fees upfront though. No sense in paying interest on that.

Focus strictly on payment. You'll have posters here tell you that you negotiate based on the total price of the car. My question is, why? Unless you plan on buying the vehicle out after your lease is up, your only concern is getting as your monthly payments as low as possible while getting the allotted mileage and length of lease that you desire.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:49 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,245,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
If you're leasing, the only advice I an give you is......

Don't put ANY money down. Do pay your taxes and registration fees upfront though. No sense in paying interest on that.

Focus strictly on payment. You'll have posters here tell you that you negotiate based on the total price of the car. My question is, why? Unless you plan on buying the vehicle out after your lease is up, your only concern is getting as your monthly payments as low as possible while getting the allotted mileage and length of lease that you desire.
Because the lower the price of the car the lower the lease payment. You should know exactly what you want to pay for the car and know the payment that comes along with that with $ down.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms493 View Post
Because the lower the price of the car the lower the lease payment. You should know exactly what you want to pay for the car and know the payment that comes along with that with $ down.
Not necessarily. Some dealers inflate their lease residuals in order to lower your lease payments. I can care less what the residual is if I'm turning the car in at end of lease. That's the banks problem now.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Putting money down will lower your monthly payment but it wont lower the total cost of the lease.

Reason behind not putting any money down on a lease is because if you total it or it gets stolen, you lose that down payment. Keep it in the bank and put it towards your monthly payments.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:49 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,245,736 times
Here is a recent video on negotiating a Lease.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM9j4E0jeNU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive