Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 02:46 AM

844 posts, read 1,441,593 times

Advertisements

I got 10 bottles of STP fuel additive for 1.25 so I splurged. Do you all think regular gas + the additive is equal to Preminum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 03:36 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
The additives you need in your gas are are incorporated into the product before it leaves the refinery. Thinking you are getting a better product by using premium fuel in a car designed for regular fuel is just throwing your money away.IMO adding fuel injector cleaner is also a waste of money as the detergents to clean those injectors are already in the gas you buy.

Old 10-24-2016, 04:10 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,114,795 times
I disagree. Not all fuels contain additives, only top tier fuels such as BP, shell, and chevron have them.

As for regular vs premium, there is a significant difference especially in areas where regular means 85 octane. If you are towing or hauling, you will usually get better performance with premium since the computer is least likely to retard ignition timing from pings.

To answer your question, no runing injecton cleaner does not turn reg into premium since it does not increase octane rating. Probably wouldn't hurt to run the cleaner though but not any better than running top tier fuel (bp, chevron, shell). The benefit to the additives is less carbon buildup on the backs of the intake valves and in the combustion chambers.

Old 10-24-2016, 04:11 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,118,685 times
STP fuel injector cleaner has cleared up my starting problems every time I have used it...which is 3 times. Great stuff!

Old 10-24-2016, 06:23 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
I've been driving for 50 years,never used additives and never had a gas related engine issue,but if putting in all these additives gives peace of mind then you have many potions to choose from.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=gasol...iw=853&bih=538

Old 10-24-2016, 06:54 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,831,265 times
Two entirely different subjects. Yes, injector cleaners work. My car will begin to idle rough at red lights sometimes, and I dump in a bottle of SeaFoam. Day later it is running smooth again.

No, these additives are not octane boosters, but there are products designed specifically to boost octane. Racers sometimes use them for higher compression motors.

Don

Old 10-24-2016, 07:10 AM

57 posts, read 70,066 times
unless your car is designed for premium, dont waste your money, if your car performs badly on regular gas, then you have an issue that needs taken care of, even cars that specify premium can run regular, it will just pull the timing back and you wont perform as well. but all cars are made to run on 87 octane min. most additives are snake oil. seafoam is one of the better ones but it works better of you let the engine suck in about half a bottle then shut it off and wait about 15 min and then go out and drive it like you stole it. also the best carbon cleaner for the combustion chamber is good old tap water, you take a 20 oz bottle of water and let the engine suck that up small amounts at the time dont just dump it in,. and do that a few times . the tops of the pistons and combustion chamber will be clean as a whistle, even better is if you could rig up your washer pump to sparay it in while you are driving down the road, up hill really getting on it loading the engine down. it really works great then.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:26 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,820,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimber View Post
I disagree. Not all fuels contain additives, only top tier fuels such as BP, shell, and chevron have them.
This is just nonsense. All gasoline is mandated to contain a certain amount of detergent additives. Top Tier is just a step above what the EPA requires.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:12 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,478,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
I got 10 bottles of STP fuel additive for 1.25 so I splurged. Do you all think regular gas + the additive is equal to Preminum?

No.

In this testing, the STP additive didn't do much

Octane boosters, do they really work?

Old 10-24-2016, 10:13 AM

3,377 posts, read 9,204,468 times
You are buying a higher octane when you buy the more expensive fuel. Maybe you are buying a fuel with better additives and maybe you are not. But you ARE buying a higher octane fuel.

You are buying a fuel that is more resistant to detonation.

Threads like this illustrate the general misunderstanding that revolves around what is pumped at a fuel station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive