Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 09:21 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,091,578 times

Advertisements

White House: 48 EV Charging Corridors To Be Set Up Over 35 States, 25,000 Miles

Charging stations are coming on most major corridors where long distance travel happens.

http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net...ic_Highway.jpg

If you're driving over 250 miles in a day, you really need to take a potty break or a food break somewhere in there anyhow. Stopping for a half hour in the middle of a 5 hour trip really isn't a problem.

And as was mentioned, over 80% of people don't drive over 35 miles a day RIGHT NOW, so even a Bolt could have a "Full tank" every morning. I never used up all the electric range in my Volt on the daily grind, and only used gas in it for the trip from Baltimore to Maine and back.

There's really no need in an EV to carry more range than is necessary. We're used to driving ICE cars until they nearly run out of fuel then refuel them because we don't start out every day with a full tank at home. If we did, we'd have a smaller tank and need less range from them, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Never get behind a electric car, you never know when the battery is going to go dead!
Never get behind a gas powered car. Never know when they will run out of gas (or have a timing belt break, or a water pump go bad, or...)

Might want to start thinking before typing, dude.

Old 11-05-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
For me to consider EV, the car needs to be somewhat sporty/performance oriented and less of a commuter. More Tesla-esque, and less Bolt/Volt/Leaf/BMW i3.

I know not everyone cares about what sort of vehicle they drive, but enjoying the car I am in is huge for me personally. I'll gladly pay $3/gallon to keep myself out of something that looks like this.

It's obvious you've never driven an i3 (or really any EV). It's sporty and performance feeling as well, with RWD and a decidedly BMW feel to it's driving dynamics (low CG due to it's CF construction). And the interior is a nice place to be, especially in higher trim levels. Instant throttle response due to the instant torque of an EV motor. Definitely fun to drive.

Even basic ones like the Spark EV are fun to drive. The Spark has about 350 lb ft of torque that all comes on instantly when you mash the throttle pedal. Great fun in a car that weighs as little as it does.

But, and this is important, most cars are used primarily as commuters by most people. EVs excel at that right now, and are fun to drive, to boot. Yes, they tend to be more focused on the commuter form factors, but there's nothing wrong with being fun AND practical. And the BMW is actually quite practical, and makes sense the more you use it. (I spent 3 days with one while I had my Volt and ended up loving it).

Old 11-05-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
It really doesn't matter to me. I am quite sure I will not be able to afford any EV, unless I stretched the payments out for so long that I would be dead before it was paid off.
No, I will not buy one.
Sorry you're too poor to afford a $99/month lease payment on a Spark EV. Maybe you should get a better job.

Or you could always buy a USED EV or PHEV (early Volts and Leafs are under $10k these days). But maybe you're too poor to buy a used car, too.

But hey, since they are not suitable for a poverty stricken person like you, they must not be suitable for anyone, right?

Old 11-05-2016, 10:07 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Sorry you're too poor to afford a $99/month lease payment on a Spark EV. Maybe you should get a better job.

Or you could always buy a USED EV or PHEV (early Volts and Leafs are under $10k these days). But maybe you're too poor to buy a used car, too.

But hey, since they are not suitable for a poverty stricken person like you, they must not be suitable for anyone, right?
Do you work at being so silly, or does it come naturally?
I will celebrate my 75th birthday in a few weeks. I have never leased a vehicle, and never will. If I can't BUY it, I will not have it!
I make a little over $2000 a month from SS and DFAS.
As I have said in other threads, I live in Montana. It gets very cold in the winter, and very hot in the summer. Any vehicle I have MUST have a good heater/defroster, and MUST have good air conditioning.
Therefore, such a vehicle must have a range of at least 200 miles at 20 below zero or 100 degrees F. It must also be capable of driving over gravel roads, in mud, and in unplowed snow. It must be capable of doing all this while going over 6% grades, crossing the Continental Divide.
As for a used EV, sure, there are a few out there. Many of the used vehicles I have bought over the years needed a new battery quite soon after I bought them. How much does a new battery pack cost for a used EV? Could it be that the reason for the low price is to somewhat compensate for having to buy a new battery? Would you be willing to put a $3000 engine and transmission in a vehicle that is worth $2000?
Right. I feel exactly the same way about installing a new battery pack in a used EV!

By the way, my comments on this (or any other) forum apply only to me. I never address comments to EVERYONE!

Old 11-05-2016, 10:24 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Even basic ones like the Spark EV are fun to drive. The Spark has about 350 lb ft of torque that all comes on instantly when you mash the throttle pedal. Great fun in a car that weighs as little as it does.
Actually, the early ones had 400 lb/ft. Those cars are crazy.
Check this out:

Video: 2014 Chevy Spark EV vs 2013 Camaro - Inside EVs

For whatever reason the redesigned 2016 has been "detuned" to 327 lb/ft.

Old 11-05-2016, 02:21 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
That 200 mile range, is driving in good weather, with warm temperature. Here in Montana in the winter you will lose as much as 60% of the range of the vehicle, due to how cold effects batteries. Then if there is hill or mountain driving which draws more electricity to do it, mileage goes down. The heating and air conditioning also take electricity, and in our parts of the county is very important to have.

If we want to go shopping for more than a local independent grocer or small hardware can supply, it is a 100 mile round trip to the big city/towns in the state. They would be useless in our part of the world many months in the year. W could not leave town.

Electric cars are city cars, and only applicable in certain areas of the country.

Old 11-05-2016, 03:36 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
That 200 mile range, is driving in good weather, with warm temperature. Here in Montana in the winter you will lose as much as 60% of the range of the vehicle, due to how cold effects batteries. Then if there is hill or mountain driving which draws more electricity to do it, mileage goes down. The heating and air conditioning also take electricity, and in our parts of the county is very important to have.

If we want to go shopping for more than a local independent grocer or small hardware can supply, it is a 100 mile round trip to the big city/towns in the state. They would be useless in our part of the world many months in the year. W could not leave town.

Electric cars are city cars, and only applicable in certain areas of the country.

Yes but 50% of the population lives in 144 counties in the USA.

Old 11-05-2016, 04:02 PM

Quote:
That 200 mile range, is driving in good weather, with warm temperature.
That 200 mile range has been tested at 280 miles of real world range for the Bolt.

Quote:
Here in Montana in the winter you will lose as much as 60% of the range of the vehicle, due to how cold effects batteries.
Not thermally managed batteries, as in the Volt or Bolt. A little range will be lost due to using the heater, but not that much. Usually in the case of the Volt, only about 20% range degredation in single digit weather, as I found out with mine.

Quote:
Then if there is hill or mountain driving which draws more electricity to do it, mileage goes down.
Like any car going up mountains will lose fuel mileage. Unlike gas powered cars, however, going DOWN those hills again results in range increase again due to the regeneration effect where the motor is used as a generator to put electricity back in the batteries. Result? A net effect of having about the same range as on level ground. Sorry, you need to learn more about EVs and regen.

Quote:
The heating and air conditioning also take electricity, and in our parts of the county is very important to have.
I'll grant you the heater takes a bit more electricity, but the air conditioning, in real world use (like here in 100 degree weather) has almost no effect on range.

Quote:

Actually, they are useful for over 80% of the population, who live primarily on both coasts.

66% of families have more than one car, so they could have the EV as primary commuting transportation and the gas car as the long distance traveler. Kind of like having the right tool for the job. You wouldn't tow a 4 horse trailer with a VW Golf, right? But I don't see you complaining that small gas powered cars or gas powered mid size sedans are not useful for the 20% of the population that tows stuff.

No, ONLY EVs have to be 100% perfect for 100% of the population 100% of the time before people like you stop complaining about them.

Old 11-05-2016, 04:57 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Quote:
As I posted earlier, the average American household has 2.28 cars.
35% own three or more cars.

If one of them is an EV, what is the problem?

I'm one of those with 3 cars. An EV could certainly one of them.
My wife's car is a Cruze diesel, which may have more range than any car out there.
It don't take a rocket scientist to figure out what car I'd take on a trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive