Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 07:37 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Remember California REQUIRES a valid smog certificate no older than 90 days...

The does not apply if you sell to a Dealer, Out of State or Donate.

Many get into problems because if the buyer can't smog it or it costs too much it all comes back on you...

I part out cars that don't pass smog... often do much better as the parts are often worth a lot more than the whole car.
This is a good point OP. I tend to forget about it, where I live, if I want to sell a car, and you want to buy it, if I have a clear title and sign it over to you, and you pay me the agreed-on price, that's the whole deal.

IIRC in Cali you only have to SMOG your car annually, so if the OP's Mustang has not been SMOGGED in the last 90 days, probably that's the logical first step to deciding what to do with it.

I have read that a very fresh set of spark plugs and essentially new engine lube oil can help one get through SMOG.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 08:11 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Two issues with older cars and smog... it tests as a high emitter or the visual inspection detects missing/defective emission items.

My 1985 service truck runs great... the last time it just barely missed... the shop said I could leave it if I was willing to pay $400 to get it to pass...

I went to my friend that has a muffler shop... for $220 he put on a new CAT and 90 minutes later I was back at the Star Certified Smog Test place... it passed... the guy said I took the easy way out because I didn't "Fix" anything.

I'm not leaving my fully equipped service truck anywhere without me.

Old 11-03-2016, 09:12 PM

3,095 posts, read 2,000,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Remember California REQUIRES a valid smog certificate no older than 90 days... The does not apply if you sell to a Dealer, Out of State or Donate. I part out cars that don't pass smog... often do much better as the parts are often worth a lot more than the whole car.
Out of curiosity, would this apply if he were selling the car to someone saying he'd use it for parts, rather than dismantling the car & selling the parts himself?

Also, at the risk of being accused of hijacking, at which stage does a smog test need to be done? I have a 2011 SUV with only 40K-mi on it & my registration expires in Jan. Does my car need an inspection & smog test, too?

Good thread. I'm learning a lot. Thanks very much.

Old 11-03-2016, 09:14 PM

760 posts, read 768,378 times
Scrap yards usually pay a decent price on clunkers, I think one here pays around $250 if you can drive it in and doesn't have to be towed there, $250 cash in real currency is more than you'd ever get as a "tax deduction" on paper donating it.

Old 11-04-2016, 06:10 AM

445 posts, read 770,768 times
Just put it on CL for a fair price. Someone will buy it. Someone would love to have it

Old 11-04-2016, 07:14 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Out of curiosity, would this apply if he were selling the car to someone saying he'd use it for parts, rather than dismantling the car & selling the parts himself?

Also, at the risk of being accused of hijacking, at which stage does a smog test need to be done? I have a 2011 SUV with only 40K-mi on it & my registration expires in Jan. Does my car need an inspection & smog test, too?

Good thread. I'm learning a lot. Thanks very much.
Here is the DMV link...

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...e/vrir/faqsmog

Newer vehicles pay a waiver fee in lieu of emission inspection...

Old 11-04-2016, 10:06 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
You could go to a "we tote the note" type used car lot and probably get a few hundred, but it makes more sense to call
one of the charities like kars4kids, and donate it. They will pick it up, and you can take a tax deduction. Craigslist will only be a source of time consuming frustration with low ballers and scammers.
You have to itemize your expenses to take the deduction (65% of people don't), and even if you do the actual amount you realize will only be a percentage of the vehicle's value. So donating really only makes sense if you really want to support the charity you're giving the car to (nothing wrong with that). Otherwise you will probably get just as much selling it to a salvage yard or low-end dealership for cash which would involve less hassle than donating it.

Old 11-04-2016, 11:17 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
You have to itemize your expenses to take the deduction (65% of people don't), and even if you do the actual amount you realize will only be a percentage of the vehicle's value. So donating really only makes sense if you really want to support the charity you're giving the car to (nothing wrong with that). Otherwise you will probably get just as much selling it to a salvage yard or low-end dealership for cash which would involve less hassle than donating it.
Right now, salvage yard will give you $40 - $80.

Old 11-04-2016, 11:18 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKneedep View Post
Hey!

I'm in Los Angeles, and I've never sold a car before, so I'm a little unsure.

I have a 2003 Ford Mustang Coupe 2D in Fair condition. It has about 150k miles on it, and KBB valued it at $1.1k. It goes well, but some things aren't working, like one headlight, ABS light is on, CD.
I'm moving out of state and not looking to make money off this. Just basically want to get rid of it and be done with it.

Do I just put it up on CL for like $1k, or is there a quicker way? Would some dealership take it for less but quicker?
A dealership may take it off your hands for nothing, but won't pay for it because they can't sell it in their used car lots unless it's pricey enough and in good enuf shape for a buyer to get a loan on it. They would sell it for next to nothing to an auction house.

Check out Carmax.

An ad on Craigslist will probably get it sold quickly, but you know to be careful, right? Meet in a public place, etc. Bring the title with you to sign it over, of course. Take only cash. You know the drill.

I've sold used cars before by running an ad. That's how people w/o much money get their cars, often. They can't afford to go to dealers.

Old 11-04-2016, 11:38 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Right now, salvage yard will give you $40 - $80.
For a car that has no value beyond the scrap metal content, sure. The steel market has been down for months and is still dropping.

For a popular model that runs and drives with a title and current registration a dismantler would likely give $250-$300, maybe more depending on local demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive