Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 09:41 PM

6,557 posts, read 7,136,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
If you're not cool with me calling you butthead, butthole, asshead, or asshat, then lets leave the name calling out of it.
Explain in detail post #28? If he did it, great, but something seems to be a little off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 09:48 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,078,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Try reading it again as I think you are up too late to understand the cop would at best start the pursuit at 80-90mph not top out at those speeds. So my issue how fast does it take the cop car to go from 80-90 to its top speed vs a super mustang going from 80-208. Clear line of sight is not the only issue with radar, distance is an issue and even more so with smaller more aerodynamic cars as the target
sounds like the petty insults have begun.. No I answered it back a page, but here you go again.

Quote:
where do you get 80-90 from? cop cars 20 years ago were doing 140. If the cop was in one of the newer cars, I think he would have been able to at least keep him in sight for those few miles, he wouldn't have fallen that far behind, in that short amount of time. If the guy only went a few miles, he was only trying to get away for about a minute and a half.
If you need further explanation, if the guy did all this in only a few miles, the cop only needed to average 120 mph to be no more than a mile behind and be within radar distance. Are you really going to try to keep this going????

For distance to matter, the cop would have had to see this speeder, doing 84 in a 70... CATCH UP TO HIM.. then when the speeder accelerated, be unwilling to go to or faster than 130mph, (to average a speed that he could STAY WITHIN RADAR DISTANCE). Its already in the story that the cop saw him exit, and turn around where he was stopped at the stop sign.

Old 11-18-2016, 09:55 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
sounds like the petty insults have begun.. No I answered it back a page, but here you go again.

If you need further explanation, if the guy did all this in only a few miles, the cop only needed to average 90 mph to be no more than a mile behind and be within radar distance. Are you really going to try to keep this going????

For distance to matter, the cop would have had to see this speeder, doing 84 in a 70... CATCH UP TO HIM.. then when the speeder accelerated, be unwilling to go to or faster than 95mph, (to average a speed that he could STAY WITHIN RADAR DISTANCE). Its already in the story that the cop saw him exit, and turn around where he was stopped at the stop sign.

There where no petty insults so don't go getting your feelings hurt . If the cop is a mile away on a public road he isn't getting this car on radar unless it's the flattest and straightest road in the world with no other cars or obstructions period. Yes I will keep it going because I've said all along I don't believe the 208 in the first place.

Old 11-18-2016, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
There where no petty insults so don't go getting your feelings hurt . If the cop is a mile away on a public road he isn't getting this car on radar unless it's the flattest and straightest road in the world with no other cars or obstructions period. Yes I will keep it going because I've said all along I don't believe the 208 in the first place.
No feelings hurt, just pointing out that you are unable to have a simple civilized discussion so far.
as for being flat and straight..... ITS OKLAHOMA.

Old 11-18-2016, 10:05 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
No feelings hurt, just pointing out that you are unable to have a simple civilized discussion so far.
as for being flat and straight..... ITS OKLAHOMA.
I wasn't being uncivil you asked more than once why I thought the cop couldn't go more than 80-90mph when that isn't what I said it and it was very clear in the post you quoted and asked the same question for the second time. If you feel it's uncivil to point out you must be tired because you clearly didn't comprehend the post you quoted I'm sorry for you

As for your response about a road being flat and straight because its Oklahoma, well that's absurd because I'm positive roads in OK have elevation changes and curves in them

Old 11-18-2016, 10:52 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,227,052 times
Jesus Christ, is there no sub forum on here that doesn't dissolve into pissy teenagers fighting over spilt milk? Ugh, I give up on C.D.

Old 11-19-2016, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Explain in detail post #28? If he did it, great, but something seems to be a little off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
from another forum:

"Let's look at the map where this occurred: https://goo.gl/maps/GqPPtp3F1Jt

Article says he was clocked at 84 MPH @ the Council Road intersection, and then got off the highway at Northwest Expressway. Google Maps tells us this is less than 3 miles point-to-point, and the road is curving pretty much the entire time. So they're trying to say in under three miles, he accelerated from 84 MPH to 208 MPH, all while rounding a curve, AND decelerated enough to take the off-ramp, make it through a tollbooth unscathed, and then round a nearly 90-degree corner after the tollbooth."

And at night with headlights off. Some random Oklahoma Mustang with a teenager driving that's faster than a Veyron in similar conditions, on a road in worse conditions than the Texas Mile (and curving, to boot). It takes a bit of time to reach top speed on a straight, clean road, and this three mile stretch, with SLOWING DOWN for curves and offramps doesn't allow for. Physics gets in the way.

Heavily modded? That's what the newspapers say about ricers with a wing and cut springs. Take all of it with a HUGE grain of salt and wonder why some of us doubt the police's "trained powers of observation."

And I don't buy that the OK police just read it in kph and mistranslated to mph. They simply got it wrong.
Well, first using the right triangle formula, its a little longer than 3 miles, not much (but If I guesstimate it goes west by .7 of a mile), that would put distance closer to 3.3 miles. Not sure where Tiffer got that destination, but if you look at this article,

Quote:
Jealous much?? Are you trying to say that NO mustang can go 208? Why not on a public road??? This was in Oklahoma... The entire state is flat, and the highways are near all straight cause there is nothing to get in the way of em.

Oklahoma teenager eludes police going 208 mph in Ford Mustang - NY Daily News
Then follow the link inside you get to here.

Chase Suspect Accused Of Driving Over 200 MPH On Kilpatrick Turn - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

Quote:
OKLAHOMA CITY -
Authorities arrested a man accused of leading an Oklahoma Highway Patrol (OHP) trooper on a pursuit, and at one point, driving over 200 miles per hour on the Kilpatrick Turnpike.
According to the OHP, in the morning of Saturday, November 12, a trooper was on the Kilpatrick Turnpike in Oklahoma City when he noticed a Mustang going about 85 mph in the 70 mph zone. He tried to stop the car. But it took off. That’s when the chase began.
Troopers said the driver, later identified as 19-year-old Hector Fraire, accelerated. At one point, he was driving at 208 mph. He also turned off the headlights and brake lights in an attempt to elude the trooper.

A Canadian County Sheriff’s deputy then spotted*a car*matching the suspect vehicle description near Sara Road and Northwest Expressway. The trooper caught up to the Mustang at a red light at Northwest Expressway and Highway 3. Fraire then turned south, pulled over and dropped his keys out of the driver’s window.
Fraire was arrested on multiple complaints, including reckless driving and a felony count of eluding. Troopers said he is a member of a local racing group.
It wasn't even the same cop.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:10 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,248,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Nope nope nope.

You also don't "turn off" your brake lights.
I would image it's pretty easy. Just a bit of wire, a couple t taps and a rocker switch. Open the circuit and the bulb will not illuminate when you step on the brakes.

Old 11-19-2016, 12:15 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,599,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Yeah they are heavy. Still doesn't mean you can't shed a few pounds and hit close to 190/200 mph. Either way Dodge got one to 204 mph on a 7 mile oval track. So much for a fat pig and a big wall. At one time 200 mph was supercar territory. It was hard to attain that. Only a few cars that were heavily modified by past tuners (for their day) were able to attain that. I believe that number today isn't as unreachable as some people think there are some factory cars today with hp that was inky dreamed of back in the 80/90s. I think it's absolutely insane to do those speeds on a regular road.
At high speeds (even though it will require more horsepower) heavy may not be bad. To stay at that speed you need downward pressure to keep you on the road. Weight would be worse than wind, but something needs to keep you on the ground.

Because getting a Boeing 737 flying doesn't require hitting 200 mph....

Old 11-19-2016, 02:51 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
It doesn't surprise me that this happened in Oklahoma. It's cultural. Guys in Oklahoma, Texas and much of the South have that mentality and I realize it is a part of the white culture in the South. Just like you've heard of male machismo in Latin cultures, in the United States, among white culture, the whites in the south are very different than white people on the coasts. They very much have that machismo culture where they enjoy getting into fist fights especially in bars, shooting guns, seeing how fast they can rig their car, driving raised trucks (the more raised the better), one upping people in terms of insults (playful exchange of insults and nothing is off topic including racial insults), showing how much they can drink (the more you can drink the cooler you are). I knew people in Oklahoma and Texas that were overly preoccupied with this hobby of rigging their cars and putting computer chips and seeing how fast they could amp their car. There were local auto shops everywhere that specialized in this and car stereos there. It was very much a part of the culture and I found it fascinating. It's not like that in any other part of the United States. It was literally like traveling to a different country. I grew up in California and when I spent time in Oklahoma City and Dallas, it was cultural shock. The people there are nothing like any other city I've been to. In many ways I miss it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive